Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 08road glide last year at the local dealer but before I had owned it two weeks the compensator went bad. The dealer replaced under warranty with a SE compensator so I thought I would be go to go for several years but less than a year and 10000 miles later it's crap. Sounds like it's chewing gears up on hot starts. So I drop by the dealer and tell them about it and they tell me that the SE unit is under warranty, but they have since upgraded the SE compensator and I will have to buy a new rotor plus pay all the labor. Has anyone had the new 2014 compensator put in? Is it any better? Is there a better way to go? I don't won't it sitting in the service department every riding season. I've read a hundred threads about these but nothing recent.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
I thought that the newest upgrade were new outer primary covers with indentations around the compensator to push oil into the compensator. They also had a reto fit kit to upgrade older covers.
Don't see why you need to pay for a new rotor, if it got trashed by the compensator going bad it also should be replaced under warranty.

I smell a Rat !!

·
Registered
98 Posts
When you replace your comp.with the upgraded SE Comp. you have to buy a new rotor also_One of Harley's better ideas.It is what it is.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
When you replace your comp.with the upgraded SE Comp. you have to buy a new rotor also_One of Harley's better ideas.It is what it is.
Are you saying it comes as a kit ? (Compensation & rotor) Even so, it should still be covered under warranty. Parts and labor.He already upgraded once.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
It would seem that because the old SE compensator is no longer available the ESP should cover the rotor change because it is needed to install the new SE compensator. I would argue with the service manage and ESP company over this if you have to pay for the new rotor. It isn't like you have a choice in the matter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Are you saying it comes as a kit ? (Compensation & rotor) Even so, it should still be covered under warranty. Parts and labor.He already upgraded once.
For what they get for them you would think so, but no you have to buy them separately . I thought it was alittle misleading myself.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
For what they get for them you would think so, but no you have to buy them separately . I thought it was alittle misleading myself.
I did not know they changed the upgraded SE compensator again. I thought they just added the outer cover to drive oil in there. The MOCO sucks.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I've got 8k on my SE compensator and it's making a racket in there. Was hoping to hold out for the Hoban Bros comp, but I'm going to go ahead with a Vulcanworks sprocket. My bottom end has been redone though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The service said it was not a kit so I would have to pay for the new style rotor. It sucks to give them another $400.00 but if it will take care of it and I can ride a whole summer without it breaking down then it's worth it. If they do this and it fks up again I'm moving on to something else . Maybe solid sprocket , maybe dark horse , idk.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
I upgraded to the SE comp about 2 years ago which I would guess to be about 14/15k miles. Up until recently its been quiet. I swapped out the stock primary chain tensioner for the Hayden tensioner which I have about 1k miles on and it seems that the comp is starting to make noise. I haven't had a chance to pull the outer primary off to inspect it yet but I'm sure I know what I'll find

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
This don't sound like the compensator. On hot starts the compensator should still have oil all over it. It sounds more like the starter or the ACR not working correctly.
This may be true but I do know first hand that a bad comp will eventually take out a starter. I had the same symptoms on a hot start. I'd hit the starter button and would hear this god awful gear grinding noise and the motor would kick back. I rebuilt the starter and everything got slightly better but it wasn't til I replaced the comp that all was good. No kicking back or starter grinding noise. I upgraded to the SE comp when I did it.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
The question that needs to be answered is why many that put a lot of limes on their bike never have a bit of problems with them.
But others that really don't ride much seem to have all the issues.
There is more to the story. I have logged a fair amount of miles on TC's never had any of these issue nor do I personally know one rider that rides a lot to have any.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The service said it was not a kit so I would have to pay for the new style rotor. It sucks to give them another $400.00 but if it will take care of it and I can ride a whole summer without it breaking down then it's worth it. If they do this and it fks up again I'm moving on to something else . Maybe solid sprocket , maybe dark horse , idk.
Yes you do have to buy the new style rotor separate but that should only apply if you are just doing the SE compensator as a upgrade and there is nothing wrong with compensator that is in your bike.
Once the compensator in the bike goes out and it is covered under the HD warranty or ESP then the rotor should be covered under under the warranty because the warranty work can not be performed without replacing the rotor.
Tell the HD dealer that you want the old style SE compensator put in the bike because you don't want to pay for the new rotor because there is nothing wrong with the rotor you have.

This don't sound like the compensator. On hot starts the compensator should still have oil all over it. It sounds more like the starter or the ACR not working correctly.
The signs of the compensator going bad will make you think it is a starter.
The symptoms mostly happen when the bike is hot and the symptoms are starter clunk, starter grind and starter stall.
It has nothing to do with the ACRs, I don't have ACRs or CRs in my bike and it starts just fine and my starter has well over 50,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
This may be true but I do know first hand that a bad comp will eventually take out a starter. I had the same symptoms on a hot start. I'd hit the starter button and would hear this god awful gear grinding noise and the motor would kick back. I rebuilt the starter and everything got slightly better but it wasn't til I replaced the comp that all was good. No kicking back or starter grinding noise. I upgraded to the SE comp when I did it.
What is the age of your battery? Have you replaced your battery cables and checked all your ground connections for tightness and possible corrosion? Good to upgrade your cables to aftermarket ones which can flow more power to your starter

Another possibility could be along with what has been suggested is your engine has carbon build on top of the pistons that could have raised the compression which would make hot starts tougher

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
What is the age of your battery? Have you replaced your battery cables and checked all your ground connections for tightness and possible corrosion? Good to upgrade your cables to aftermarket ones which can flow more power to your starter

Another possibility could be along with what has been suggested is your engine has carbon build on top of the pistons that could have raised the compression which would make hot starts tougher
I did these repairs about 2 or 3 years ago and it was with the stock battery which I just replaced this winter. I do agree with what you're saying but not in this case. After I replaced the comp and rebuilt the starter all was and still is fine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts