Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 FLTRX with 18k on it. Have stage 1 but no other engine mods. I have started to get the clanking on start up that has been described by others as the begining of compensator issues. Question I have is will this also cause slight clutch slipping?

I noticed the slipping on the way back from NC when it was hot and slow traffic. Did a clutch adjust and it seemed taken care of. However, in 5th or
6th gear when I nail the throttle the engine responds, but the power is lagging. Not sure if they are related.

??

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My guess is the cluth slipping in the higher gears in not a compensator issue. If I had to guess the clutch cable would be my first guess, aftermarket cables can cause all kinds of interesting & intermittent issues. Second consideration is the clutch itself. You may want to consider a lockout (variable pressure clutch). Fuel Moto sells one made by AIM. Alot of guys are running some big hp/tq motors with stock clutches backed up by a lockout. The stock clutch should not be slipping with the stage one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compensator and clutch slip

Mitchdm......thanks for the feedback, I will look into the lock out. The cable is stock and should not be the cause of the problem. I will put her in for the 20k service soon and have the indy go over everything really well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Adjust away. The stock clutch sucks. You will need to replace your clutch pack and spring with better clutches and a heavier spring to eliminate your issue.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Adjust away. The stock clutch sucks. You will need to replace your clutch pack and spring with better clutches and a heavier spring to eliminate your issue.
I have the stock clutch with the SE clutch spring and my clutch never slips so I wouldn't say the stock clutch sucks, the stock clutch spring may suck.
Compensator problems shouldn't cause clutch slippage.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
I agree with FrankieB & Ironmark . :eek: The stock clutch should be fine on an 80 hp bike. Try an adjustment and make sure you don't lug the engine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had a buddy down for the spring rally on 2012 Ultra. Had the same issue as the OP stated with his clutch slipping. I gave him a brand new stock clutch pack and spring I had on the shelf.
Well, The brand new clutch and spring still slipped. He went home and installed a heavier spring, same slippage in 5th and 6th trying accelerate solo.

He installed a BARNETT extra plate and disk. Added a 140lb clutch spring and a clutch Wiz Guess what, no more slipping in 5th or 6th on his stock bike.

So I will say it again, stock clutch and spring sucks...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Compensator and clutch slip

IronMark....... i have read several posts about stiffer spring, I may have to look into this, especially if the prob persists.

FrankieB.....i will pay closer attention to my throttle/RPM's. I'm kind of a ride it like you stole it guy, but not always. I usually shift around 3-3.5k on the RPMs, but when I get on it i push the shift to 4-4.5k. Could just be at the top of the power band.

Big Gary, did the clutch adjust and it seemed better, will have to take her out and play when the traffic is light.

Thanks all for the good ideas

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The stock clutch with a SE spring may suck on a trike because of the weight of the bike but on a 96/103 with standard mods the stock clutch with a SE spring works well up to around 115 ft lbs of torque.
Rolling on the throttle in 5th or 6th gear at 2000 RPM will not slip the clutch if the clutch assembly is in good working order and if the clutch won't slip doing a high gear low RPM roll on then it won't slip at higher RPM.
Wrong fluid or low fluid in the primary or a out of adjustment clutch or a worn clutch assembly is more likely the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts