Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need opinions... I have a noise on the left side of engine that I can here going down the road and it sounds like valve tap. It is the louds around 2900rpm and at cruise. If you accel, decel or go up/down a incline the nosie goes away. I have adjust the valves, changing perload, changed the oil to differrent weights and nosie doesn't change and has gotten worst over the last 7 months. Any help please.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Sounds like it could be the compensator, but noises are hard to diagnose.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Does it sound more like an almost light wooden ticking sound? Injectors can make a noise like that. One of my tech friends called it injector bounce. Mine sometimes does it when I'm on cruise control and flat L O N G roads and at about 2700 rpm.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ditto what Ron said!

Does it sound more like an almost light wooden ticking sound? Injectors can make a noise like that. One of my tech friends called it injector bounce. Mine sometimes does it when I'm on cruise control and flat L O N G roads and at about 2700 rpm.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The compensator is going bad in my '11 RGU, it rattles when I shut the engine off, and it knocks if I don't use enough throttle pulling away from a stop, but it never makes any noise at steady throttle on the highway.
Yes, injectors can be quite noisy sometimes, as can the valvetrain at certain rpms.
Personally, I think the "bad" compensators are getting blamed for a lot of stuff they shouldn't be.

I'm hoping Dark Horse Crankworks releases their new compensator this summer, 'course i hoped that all last summer too........

·
Registered
617 Posts
Got the same noise . Changed compensator to Vulcan Engineering sprocket. Still have the noise. Getting ready to pull the outer primary and fire it up and listen. Bike runs great except for the noise.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds almost exactly to noise I had in my bike. Was bad lifters along with other issues. Tear down revealed problems, including bad compensator. Total rebuild required to replace all damaged parts. Hope that not your situation, but afraid it could be. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sounds almost exactly to noise I had in my bike. Was bad lifters along with other issues. Tear down revealed problems, including bad compensator. Total rebuild required to replace all damaged parts. Hope that not your situation, but afraid it could be. Good Luck!!
Like what other problems? What parts were damaged? What year is bike? How many miles?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I had a bad comp & it made some noise while riding, but when I shut off the bike it would make a loud clunk. Replaced under warranty. If you find the issue, let us know the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the same noise. Changed the compensator and tappets still have the noise. Going into the cam chest this weekend to check the runout. if its OK I will drive it till it rolls to a stop on the side of the road.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Def not injectors. I have wood directional lifters and after the bike sets for a few days the lifters bleed down but on start up the pump straight up and are quite. The noise is from the left side. Thanks for all the replies.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Def not injectors. I have wood directional lifters and after the bike sets for a few days the lifters bleed down but on start up the pump straight up and are quite. The noise is from the left side. Thanks for all the replies.
The noise from the injectors is from the left side. It comes from the induction module body.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When stator wheel went bad on my night train, it sounded like someone threw a handful of rocks in the primary. it was under warranty at that time, the teeth on the stator wheel had sheared off and it was just sitting there wobbling on the driveshaft. the sure bet to eliminate the primary is to take a peak inside and make sure everything is up to snuff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was just going to replace it and also install a Hayden BT07 but it is around $525.00. If it didn't fix it I would be pissed.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Got the same noise . Changed compensator to Vulcan Engineering sprocket. Still have the noise. Getting ready to pull the outer primary and fire it up and listen. Bike runs great except for the noise.

Clutch basket was loose, moved back and forth 1/4 inch. I torqued to specs when I installed the sprocket. Didn't think of checking to see if the hub seated. Strange the nut was tight. Made a spacer to take up the slop. Will check back in after a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Tapping noise still there?

I don't know if you have checked this or not but Harley cheaped out on the bolts that tie down the rocker arms and shafts. The noise you may be hearing is the rocker shafts rocking back and forth and hitting the skinny bolts on the side where they go thru the shafts. They will cut a groove in the bolts and you will be able to see it. And there is a fix available. There are "rocker lockers" and another one I believe is called "rockout" rocker locks. They are super easy to install. There is also a problem on some rocker arm supports themselves. They are too big from the factory.The rocker arm is loose side to side and will slap side to side while running and create noise. I have a 2015 RGS and had that noise from day one. They said "It's normal." I called bullshit, but they wouldn't do anything about it because it wasn't broke. I fixed it myself. I did the rocker lockers and also put shims on my rocker arm shafts to stop the arms from pushing side to side between strokes. My bike sounds mostly like a sewing machine now, nice and quiet. With that being said, my bike has always had lifter noise from day one when I bought it brand new, and they said it was normal too. I have built these engines for better than 20 years and that ain't normal. I fully believe that Harley does not have enough oil going to the front exhaust lifter and it will raise hell if the bike is really run hard. I am on my third set, all at my expense. Thanks Harley. NOT!
Good luck, hope this helps you diagnose and fix your problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts