Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Road Glide special and lately I have notice when I shut it off it seems like I can hear the compensator , does anyone else have issues with there bike?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a 2015 Road Glide special and lately I have notice when I shut it off it seems like I can hear the compensator , does anyone else have issues with there bike?
My 2015 RGS developed a knock coming from the compensator at about 4500 miles. It only seems to do it when the motor is warm after a ride and then shut down for 20 or 30 minutes. Upon restart it will knock but only when the bike is idling and continue until its been rode again. Almost like the oil drained from the compensator and needed to be well recirculate before it would quit, but it doesn't do it when the bike is cold only after it is well warmed up. I talked with other riders with the same problem and a couple of them went as far as installing a earlier model compensator to solve the problem. I talked to the Harley tech where I bought the bike who was familiar with the problem but said Harley had no solution at the moment. He said other than the occasional noise the issue didn't seem to lead to any more serious problems. He did not recommend installing a earlier model compensator saying that those had issues of their own. He said the newer bikes have been fitted with a upgraded SC type compensator that, although were a little noisy at times, were a much better part than the earlier ones. He assured me the bike wasn't about to detonate and leave me stranded so I figured I would just put them on notice and continue to ride the bike. But, if it gets any worse I will go back and insist that it be replaced under warrantee.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Have you changed the primary lube from what Harley puts in it? If not, grab you some Belray primary oil from Cycle gear or one of those type places. It's synthetic and a much better lubricant than Syn 3 and made for the clutch and primary lubrication. With the new designed comp. they worked out most of the bugs now but due to the nature of the new design when they went to the 96" engine in 08 on touring models, they are more noisy than pre 08. See if this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Is your eitms engaged? If it is, & the engine is at the temp where it kicks in, the comp will make a little noise on shut down. I went thru this until it was discovered that it was the eitms that was causing it on my bike.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
336 Posts
Have you changed the primary lube from what Harley puts in it? If not, grab you some Belray primary oil from Cycle gear or one of those type places. It's synthetic and a much better lubricant than Syn 3 and made for the clutch and primary lubrication. With the new designed comp. they worked out most of the bugs now but due to the nature of the new design when they went to the 96" engine in 08 on touring models, they are more noisy than pre 08. See if this helps. Good luck.
I will most certainly give Belray a try. About time for a oil change anyway. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have redline in primary and trans , and my eitms is off, noticed the knock when shutting down, is the SE compensator the answer?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
There is a shim that needs to be installed for the compensator to quiet down. Is seems that the 14 and 15 OEM compensator comes without this shim and the HD dealer will install the shim which is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
336 Posts
There is a shim that needs to be installed for the compensator to quiet down. Is seems that the 14 and 15 OEM compensator comes without this shim and the HD dealer will install the shim which is covered under warranty.
So, I went back to the dealer and asked them about this shim. They said that they have shimed the compensator to quiet the knock before, but it wasn't with a shim specifically designed for this issue. They made it sound like it was a part they fabricated themselves, tried it and it worked. I don't know whether or not they were giving me a line of crap but I do know I don't want some backyard fix.

Does anybody know if Harley has developed a fix for this or put any bulletins out to their dealers giving them direction to a existing part that will work to correct this knock? I know there are plenty of 2014 - 2015 owners that are experiencing this issue. I would have to believe that Harley is looking into a correction. But who knows, it's not like HD hasnt gone into deniel mode on other past issues.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Scrapper, I don't mean to hi-jack your post. Is the noise you are experiencing a knock like I have described, or is it something different?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Ok, the shim isn't special made. they are fitted washers just like for the cam install so that the cam chain lines up. They come in different thicknesses. Whit the comp and the clutch basket on, you put a straight edge across just like on the cam gear and crank gear to make sure they are parallel. With the straight edge across the gears, you measure with a feeler gauge to see what thickness shim you need. This has shown huge promises in fixing the comp issues. Baker is who discovered this while manufacturing their new compensator and in beta testing they were having failures. This was the fix and no more problems so far.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Great info Smarty...Thanks for sharing it. I will Be looking more into those shim you described but in the meantime the Belray is going in. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its a knock ,I was told by a good friend who owns a bike shop and he confirmed it, and also stated the the SE compensator was the fix , its not bad now but I'm not waiting to long

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
My 2015 RGS developed a knock coming from the compensator at about 4500 miles. It only seems to do it when the motor is warm after a ride and then shut down for 20 or 30 minutes. Upon restart it will knock but only when the bike is idling and continue until its been rode again. Almost like the oil drained from the compensator and needed to be well recirculate before it would quit, but it doesn't do it when the bike is cold only after it is well warmed up. I talked with other riders with the same problem and a couple of them went as far as installing a earlier model compensator to solve the problem. I talked to the Harley tech where I bought the bike who was familiar with the problem but said Harley had no solution at the moment. He said other than the occasional noise the issue didn't seem to lead to any more serious problems. He did not recommend installing a earlier model compensator saying that those had issues of their own. He said the newer bikes have been fitted with a upgraded SC type compensator that, although were a little noisy at times, were a much better part than the earlier ones. He assured me the bike wasn't about to detonate and leave me stranded so I figured I would just put them on notice and continue to ride the bike. But, if it gets any worse I will go back and insist that it be replaced under warrantee.
Looks like this is turning into a problem for some that own a 2014+ models. I have a 2015 RGS and my bike goes back into the dealership this Saturday for now the third time for hopefully a final fix. The work will be covered under warranty but man I am getting sick of this same issue happening over and over again. My bike currently have just over 30,200 miles. The last time my dealership fixed it was just under 2,000 miles ago. My tech was scratching his head on this and stated that he was going to call Harley and talk to the tech support department to see what the fix needs to be this time around. Once again my bike goes in for the fix this Saturday so once I get the news for the fix, I will post up the findings. I just want it to be fixed.
Swomack

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
As far as I know your 2015 bike already has the HD SE compensator sprocket so the only fix HD has come up with is the shim.
I installed the Baker compensator in my bike and so far there hasn't been any problems and it didn't require a shim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts