Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last May I decided to go ahead & pull the trigger on the 107 Big Bore upgrade on my 08 RoadGlide, I ended up doing cam, new screaming eagle jugs (polished & ported of course) bigger valves, PV-1 & autotune. No compression release though as I thought I could save some coin. Well after installing a new starter, compensator in the first year I figured the problem was gone.

Wouldn't you know it 2 weeks ago after fueling up I went to start her up (hot start) and ended up taking the starter clutch out & had to have it towed to the shop. I did get a new starter under warranty from Drag Specialties, but ended up spending a lot more coin having the CR's put in now then if I'd have not been so cheap when I had the original work done. Funny thing is I knew I should have had them done when I was doing the stage III on it. Oh well live & learn, just had to share my stupidity with someone.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
572 Posts
Get it done. Will never have a problem with it again.probably never replace the starter clutch again either.I did itin my 09 103 made all diffetence in the world.it was really bed when I had the 255 cams in that bike. No auto releases in the heads until 2011 I believe.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
The only way I wouldn't go with CRs would be if I had S&SE cams, which is just like having CRs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It's easy to look back and realize what you should have done differently. Unfortunate, but true.

So I'm not sure, but are you saying you Did get CRs installed since or that you now realize you should have?

If you haven't added CRs, you can try going the travel limiter route, it's very cheap if you can get them for your lifters, otherwise S&S sells lifters with them installed. They do help a lot and if you're just on the hairy edge they may be sufficient. My evo stroker has no CRs and only travel limiters and it's got ~190ccp. It never kicks back, even with the original starter (20yrs and 110k miles).

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had them installed this past week, world of difference in starting. In fact I usually pop them down after I shut it off so I can just start it & worry

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Just had them installed this past week, world of difference in starting. In fact I usually pop them down after I shut it off so I can just start it & worry
Ok, cool. It's really nice to have the peace of mind. It really sucks stopping for gas and having to cross your fingers.

BTW I was only suggesting travel limiters as a interim fix, I too feel strongly CRs are the real solution.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, cool. It's really nice to have the peace of mind. It really sucks stopping for gas and having to cross your fingers.

BTW I was only suggesting travel limiters as a interim fix, I too feel strongly CRs are the real solution.
I figured you meant that. Funny thing is I knew better and ended up proving my own point ;)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
When i had the 255s in the bike i had them installed as i thought of them as a sort of cheap insurance. Now with the 590s in i still use them every time i stop, its automatic push em down.

P

·
0 Posts
when planning a build,take a good look at the S&S EZ start cam line,we`ve ran up to 11.25-1 with .625EZ`s,no problem starting & no compression releases needed

·
Registered
32 Posts
100% agree. I have a 92' Heritage with an S&S 111" and they do all the "bells and whistles" of reliability including the Compression Releases. I broke the jack shaft on a brand new 2.0KW starter (defective shaft) within 3 starts (replaced under warranty) even WITH the Releases. I couldn't imagine any of the associated parts holding up for long without them.

My 2 cents.....do it!

Dundertaker

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Any time when encroaching 180 psi ccp in most any engine combo, we reccomend releases.
It is better to have them, and not need them, than be without them, then with a fubared starter clutch in the middle of downtown nowhere.
Scott

·
Registered
99 Posts
I put ACR's on mine and they work great, even works as a bandaid for noisy compensators.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts