Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine had his heads ported by a local head porter,the porter did not have the tooling to install the compression releases so my friend takes his heads to a local HD shop who said they install them all the time.When he went to pick them up they told him that they had an oops,looks like they used a 1/4 drill to remove some of the stock from the hole,well they got too deep so the tip of the 1/4 drill just starts to break thru into the combustion chamber on one head,i know 1/8 hole is standard,should he have them take the 1/4 hole on thru then do the same to the other head or should he have the larger hole welded up then redrilled 1/8,then have the seats cleaned up incase the welding effects the valve job.Don't know if the two different size holes would effect the compression ratio from one head to another,its a 95 inch 10:25 -1 pistons.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looks like a Harley dealer just bought themselves a set of heads.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
A friend of mine had his heads ported by a local head porter,the porter did not have the tooling to install the compression releases so my friend takes his heads to a local HD shop who said they install them all the time.When he went to pick them up they told him that they had an oops,looks like they used a 1/4 drill to remove some of the stock from the hole,well they got too deep so the tip of the 1/4 drill just starts to break thru into the combustion chamber on one head,i know 1/8 hole is standard,should he have them take the 1/4 hole on thru then do the same to the other head or should he have the larger hole welded up then redrilled 1/8,then have the seats cleaned up incase the welding effects the valve job.Don't know if the two different size holes would effect the compression ratio from one head to another,its a 95 inch 10:25 -1 pistons.
In actuality, the cc difference may not be enough to be concerned over.
.25 cc perhaps?
If they can, just have them weld/blend/drill to the 1/8" drill size.
No need to discard the heads IMO, that would be like getting rid of your car if it had a flat tire.......
Scott

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Hillside i know that is what he will want to hear.

·
Banned
94 Posts
not a good idea to anything to a HD dealer to machine anything,just asking for trouble

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
.............and there are independant shops out there, that lay claim to being able to have "in house" machining capabilities, only being disguised via hiding behind the cloak of the internet........sad.
Scott

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they were my heads i would sent them to a reputable shop,which is what i recommended to him,but what do i know.:cool:

·
Registered
98 Posts
A bitter old man once said "You plant corn You get corn".:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts