Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get around spending a ton of cash to get my large flag displayed for patriot guard rides. I thought of something but don't know if it will hold. I was thinking of using my seat screw at the bottom of a tube and sliding the flag pole in there.

Do you think the screw would hold. If I need to make it permanent, I can, i can cut it short and use a retaining clip to hold the pole, but I don't want to rip a hole in my fender from the wind pulling the flag pole, and not really sure I want to drill more holes.

Any thoughts or do I just have to suck it up and buy a Rivco?

Thanks for any input
G.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
That is a 1/4-20 screw. It will not hold a 3x5 flag and pole, especially in the wind. I'm going to put some effort into designing something for that purpose after I get some other things done. I've got the FLTRX fender extension on my RGU and it prevents me from putting on a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
At first read it sounds like a really bad idea. But, then again, that would depend on several factors -
1. How big is your flag?
2. The max speed you will ride with it flying.
3. Length of pole. The longer the pole the more force will be applied to the mounting point.

All in all it will still be a lot of torque applied to a small area and could definitely cause some damage. Even if it didn't pull through you might end up with a tweaked fender/hole.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a 1/4-20 screw. It will not hold a 3x5 flag and pole, especially in the wind. I'm going to put some effort into designing something for that purpose after I get some other things done. I've got the FLTRX fender extension on my RGU and it prevents me from putting on a trailer hitch.
Thanks for the response. If you figure something, and can share, that would be awesome.

At first read it sounds like a really bad idea. But, then again, that would depend on several factors -
1. How big is your flag?
2. The max speed you will ride with it flying.
3. Length of pole. The longer the pole the more force will be applied to the mounting point.

All in all it will still be a lot of torque applied to a small area and could definitely cause some damage. Even if it didn't pull through you might end up with a tweaked fender/hole.
Flag is 3x5, max speed in some cases, is 50, especially possible on welcome home rides, length of pole is adjustable, but couldn't be shorter than, say 4' or so. 3 for the flag and whatever the seat back height is, if it were mounted there.

I guess I'll keep exploring options. Was thinking about possibly mounted to either saddlebag supports or exhaust supports, but both of them would require being able to come out and clear the tour pack.

Thanks for all responses.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Thanks for the response. If you figure something, and can share, that would be awesome.

Flag is 3x5, max speed in some cases, is 50, especially possible on welcome home rides, length of pole is adjustable, but couldn't be shorter than, say 4' or so. 3 for the flag and whatever the seat back height is, if it were mounted there.

I guess I'll keep exploring options. Was thinking about possibly mounted to either saddlebag supports or exhaust supports, but both of them would require being able to come out and clear the tour pack.

Thanks for all responses.
Absolutely no way it would hold up with you running a 3x5 at speeds of 50 mph. Way to much stress on a relatively small attachment point.

I dig this kind of stuff so I have been thinking about it and have a design in mind. I like where you are coming from because it would look clean. I never liked the hitch mounts. I designed my own flag mount that attaches to the underside of my tour pack and is really clean looking. You could find a fabricator that could design a mounting bracket that attaches at the seat bolt, runs under the seat and has another bolt in the middle and front of it. Essentially spreading the stress point out to a broader/wider area. I am envisioning a padded plate, contoured to your rear fender, that bolts front, middle, and back. I would think you would need additional support under the fender to eliminate the warping of your sheet metal. You would also need to drill an additional hole in the middle of the plate and at the front under the seat. Those would be covered by the seat when it is installed.

Hope all of that makes sense. Cost would be minimal as it really isn't a lot of material or work.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This might be something that would work for ya!
http://www.jandjflagmounts.com/
Thank you, but I don't have a hitch receiver. Maybe something in the future, but trying to figure this out on a low budget. I bought my 11 in march of last year and proceeded to throw in about another $2500 in 'stuff'. Now before riding season even starts I've done another $4-500. If my wife ever starts adding these up I could catch some flack.

Absolutely no way it would hold up with you running a 3x5 at speeds of 50 mph. Way to much stress on a relatively small attachment point.

I dig this kind of stuff so I have been thinking about it and have a design in mind. I like where you are coming from because it would look clean. I never liked the hitch mounts. I designed my own flag mount that attaches to the underside of my tour pack and is really clean looking. You could find a fabricator that could design a mounting bracket that attaches at the seat bolt, runs under the seat and has another bolt in the middle and front of it. Essentially spreading the stress point out to a broader/wider area. I am envisioning a padded plate, contoured to your rear fender, that bolts front, middle, and back. I would think you would need additional support under the fender to eliminate the warping of your sheet metal. You would also need to drill an additional hole in the middle of the plate and at the front under the seat. Those would be covered by the seat when it is installed.

Hope all of that makes sense. Cost would be minimal as it really isn't a lot of material or work.
It does make sense, I'm just not too keen on drilling into the frame, or fender. So, I might look at your idea and see if I can use clamp mounts some how to reinforce a plate, like you said. Maybe run some bent steel along the frame rails that come out to the plate. Hmm, new thought, thanks for that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Totally forgot about the backrest mount. I think I can make a piece of steel , bend it to shape with the fender, slide it under the backrest mount, back to my seat screw and be able to reinforce it that way, yes?

pay no attention to the dirt....how does it get so freakin dirty under the cover?:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Totally forgot about the backrest mount. I think I can make a piece of steel , bend it to shape with the fender, slide it under the backrest mount, back to my seat screw and be able to reinforce it that way, yes?

pay no attention to the dirt....how does it get so freakin dirty under the cover?:confused:
The frame rail, or backrest mount, would definitely be more solid and I think it should work. Do you have the quick release set up for the back rest? I can't tell in the photo. If so, I would use both mounting points, on each side, to spread the stress out. Similar to how the backrest mounts. I would also want to make sure that whatever metal I used was padded well so as not to damage the paint on the fender. Anyhow, good luck and have fun figuring it out.

I was thinking about my above design some more and I don't think it would work. Not long term anyhow.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The frame rail, or backrest mount, would definitely be more solid and I think it should work. Do you have the quick release set up for the back rest? I can't tell in the photo. If so, I would use both mounting points, on each side, to spread the stress out. Similar to how the backrest mounts. I would also want to make sure that whatever metal I used was padded well so as not to damage the paint on the fender. Anyhow, good luck and have fun figuring it out.

I was thinking about my above design some more and I don't think it would work. Not long term anyhow.
yup, we're on the same page. roughly a triangle shape with 3 points to fasten, with a piece of thick 'packing material' underneath and plastic washers to keep it slightly suspended. Then on whatever tube I choose (probably a fishing rod holder) I'll cut it down so my wife isn't getting an unsuspected 'probing' when she rides with me :eek:

If interested, I'll post pics when done.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
yup, we're on the same page. roughly a triangle shape with 3 points to fasten, with a piece of thick 'packing material' underneath and plastic washers to keep it slightly suspended. Then on whatever tube I choose (probably a fishing rod holder) I'll cut it down so my wife isn't getting an unsuspected 'probing' when she rides with me :eek:

If interested, I'll post pics when done.
Definitely would like to see it and hear how it works out.
You should angle the rod holder back slightly. Mine is roughly 12 degrees. Looks better and gets the flag away from the bike some. Don't skimp on the holder, the longer the better, and place a set screw in there to keep the flag pole secure.

I was looking around and stumbled across this at that other harley forum - http://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-patriot-guard-riders/377837-parade-flag-holder-11.html

That's a simple, and solid looking, mount system. Just some more ideas for you to kick around.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely would like to see it and hear how it works out.
You should angle the rod holder back slightly. Mine is roughly 12 degrees. Looks better and gets the flag away from the bike some. Don't skimp on the holder, the longer the better, and place a set screw in there to keep the flag pole secure.
I won't be able to angle it back much, if at all, the seat back will be in the way. Again, too long and my wife will get a anal probe when she rides with. Not happenin'. No set screw, I'll drill right through and run a cotter pin or similar through the holder and the flag pole. pull the pin and grab the flag, easy peasy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so, here's what I have so far. going to start looking for a piece of 1/4" steel. Couple challenges I've run into so far:

-If the holder that I am going to weld down doesn't have a notch in it, I won't be able to get my seat retaining screw in, so I am going to cut a notch in the "tube" for the flag pole. I think it will still support it, though.

-Unless I go "fatter" on the ends that will attach to my backrest plate, they might not be enough to hold, so I'm going to wind up adding an 'L' bracket to the back of the backrest plate, and then to the flag pole holder plate.

-There may not be enough thread on the bolts of the back rest support (If that's the case, I have NO idea what to do, but will cross that if / when I come to it.) I thought about flattening that area a bit, but would lose the stability I want...so....?

So, far I have $0 invested, just my time. I don't know how much a piece of 1/4" steel will cost, but since I do support for a school district, I can have it cut for free (and possibly get some pearls of wisdom from the shop teachers).

After I get the initial piece cut, I will still have to do the following:

-Mold/pound the plate into the shape of the fender
-Cut a piece of 2" x 4" pipe
-Have the pipe welded to the steel plate (Auto body shop, maybe?)
-Drill through pipe and flag pole twice (thereby having an X shape for zero movement)
-Grind the rough edges
-Add my filler material so I don't scratch the fender
-Bolt it all in and wait for the weather to warm up so I can test

Any suggestions, or warnings you see? I could only add two pics, will add the last in the next post if I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I would check with the school shop. They possibly would have some steel plate laying around and you might even be able to talk the shop teacher in making a class assignment to come up with the best design mount :) It would certainly be a unique project for the students.
Win/Win

Other than that you seem to be moving right along. Honestly, I can't really figure out exactly what you are doing though but I am looking forward to seeing the end result. What type of flag pole are you using? There isn't any need to drill through the flag pole. All you need is one good set screw to keep it locked in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would check with the school shop. They possibly would have some steel plate laying around and you might even be able to talk the shop teacher in making a class assignment to come up with the best design mount :) It would certainly be a unique project for the students.
Win/Win

Other than that you seem to be moving right along. Honestly, I can't really figure out exactly what you are doing though but I am looking forward to seeing the end result. What type of flag pole are you using? There isn't any need to drill through the flag pole. All you need is one good set screw to keep it locked in.
Well, now I'm into it, I really want to accomplish it, as much as possible, myself. My design is just a plate that wraps around the fender to behind the seat screw. Then will weld a vertical post holder to hold the flag pole. I think if I don't secure it in an x way, I may get my seat retainer to come loose. For having a third point of security, I want the seat bolt to be included, though. I'm trying to get all the weight to the more secure two bolts on the riders backrest bracket. Hope this makes it a little clearer.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just be careful drilling two holes through the pole. Especially if you use a wooden pole. Might cause it to fracture at speed when the wind is pulling it back.
Thanks, will try to space them out, but it's not wooden, it's one of the telescoping alum. And if I have to replace that, it won't be that big of a deal. Thank you again for the feedback. It really helps that you're not laughing at my pathetic attempt at design.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Since you have a tour pak how about a plate with a pole recepticle bolted to the bottom of the tour pak plate? Use attachment that you can remove easily and no visual impact when not installed. I'm thinking that direction. :cool: If you have detachable then create a plate (as mentioned) to attach using the quick detach hardware or back rest.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Take if from someone who led dozens of Texas PGR KIA missions form 2005 - 2010. Spending a wad of cash on a large flag mount is secondary to the purpose of the mission. We always had an abundance of big flag bikes at my missions and riders were always disappointed when they didn't get to ride "up front". The most important people participating in a PGR mission are not the red hats or the guys with the big flags. It's the guys standing in the flag line fighting back tears that the Heroes' families remember.

There's dignity in anonymity.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts