Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my 1st Harley and first motorcycle that I'm actually considering doing some add-ons to. I believe I will do a full Stage 1 at some point and realize that I have to remap the computer. Now the confusion I have is seeing all the post and talk about Tuners. If I replace my header, exhaust and A/C why would I need more than 1 map in my ECU?

I'm not doing any of this for performance, 103 has plenty for me. Not doing this for better mpg, currently get better than my car as stock. I'm doing stage 1 just for the sound and to reduce a bit of heat on my legs. Once I flash a "new map" do I really need to keep changing it?

Cost isn't a real issue but if i'm doing this for sound/looks do i really need to spend the money for a tuner? Can I have someone do the ECU flash without paying for a tuner?

·
Registered
828 Posts
if all you want is sound and heat reduction, leave out the AC from the equation and you wont have to remap. :cool:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
+1 Kat...
One or the other - exhaust or intake and you'll be fine without a map. If you do both, you'll push more air and you're going to need more fuel. Harleys run lean and hot enough already.

The next logical question is what fuel management system and thus begins the holy wars. I have a Direct Link, but there are many options. Decide how far you want to go and then prepare to sift through many, many choices.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
For what a remap at the dealer would cost you, not to mention it will still be lean as per EPA standards take that money and get a tuner. I like my Dobeck EJK. Just call them and tell them your mods and it will come preset for your application. One more thing. If you want to loose heat, get rid of the cat.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I'm not doing any of this for performance, 103 has plenty for me.

If'n ya ain't skeer'd it ain't fast enough..........

Unfortunately the stage 1 mods will not do much to reduce the heat without a tune. If you do all the stage 1 mechanical mods and then a stage 1 download you've only gotten yourself back to the baseline, it's still too lean to run right.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm glad you asked this question ftb2ss! :)

Here's what I have experienced. On my first Harley, a 2011 Street Bob, I had SE slip ons and an SE Heavy Breather added before I took delivery. The dealer said they had to "flash" the ECM to accomodate these changes.

I had also bought the HD SuperTuner but did not install at delivery. Once I reached 1000 miles on the bike, I had the bike tuned with it.

The comparison between before and after the tune wasn't that much - a couple HP and torque higher with the tune. I started to wonder if buying the tuner was worth it (the SuperTuner cost $459, plus $282 for the dyno). But, as I was thinking of a cam change sometime in the future I would need the tuner eventually. But, as things turned out, I got the RG bug, sold the Street Bob with the mods I did, and bought an awesome 2010 in Scarlet Red!!!

My goal was to increase HP and TQ, and it seems from my experience above that one could get that just from a change in mufflers and AC and a remap, no tuner. But maybe I am not seeing everything here? :confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
These bikes are to hot stock. Would run better with a tuner and muffs AC all left stock. Cold weather its nice having the heat come off the bike stock. In the heat you and your Harley are going to suffer.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question, but is there a way to simply remap the ECM to provide a richer condition? I realize a tuner would provide a lot more flexibility, but was wondering if the ECM could be reflashed to address the lean issues.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question, but is there a way to simply remap the ECM to provide a richer condition? I realize a tuner would provide a lot more flexibility, but was wondering if the ECM could be reflashed to address the lean issues.
harely sells a street legal tuner part number 41000008 that allows the end user to reflash thier ecms and not effect the warranty. Many will say these reflashes will not richen up the afr but they are wrong. I had one and the stage 1 reflash is richer then my tts vtune in all areas other then at idle.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
harely sells a street legal tuner part number 41000008 that allows the end user to reflash thier ecms and not effect the warranty. Many will say these reflashes will not richen up the afr but they are wrong. I had one and the stage 1 reflash is richer then my tts vtune in all areas other then at idle.
Thanks Jeff and thanks Mike for your thoughts!

·
Registered
162 Posts
check out the Cobra Powrpro fi2000. I just installed it on my 2011 RGU last wk end. This is awsome, I was having issues with pinging at 70 and above under load, heat and flat spots in excelleration. This is a plug and play unit, took about 1 1/2 hrs to install. There is 8 plugs, two for each injector and two for each o2 sensor. It hooks into existing electrical system only. No bungs, no o2 sensors, no computer hook ups or dn loads. There's no need for dynos this thing tunes at 80 pulses per second. Seat of the pants difference is amazing. http://bikerschoice.com/videos/fi2000-powrpro

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Thanks hellbender! I really like the possibilities with this product!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Based on what I learned first hand don't waste the money on a flash go with a tuner. Down the road you may decide to change more and you will at least have the tuner. I have SEPST but there are many good tuners available with better custom maps.
Gary

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
that may be, but the street legal tuner will still keep you at the epa lean (legal) levels. i guess what you're saying is that your tts vtune wasn't all that accurate?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
that may be, but the street legal tuner will still keep you at the epa lean (legal) levels. i guess what you're saying is that your tts vtune wasn't all that accurate?
no what I am saying is the stage 1 street legal cal for 103 with slip ons and se air cleaner is richer then people think it is. I asked Steve Cole (tts masterune owner) about this and he said harley can be as rich as they want to be as long as they passed the testing requirements and the areas tested were basically no load areas and idle. so in operating areas they can be rich as they want to be. this is the stage 1 cal if you have tts you can compare it to any base map on the tts. My vtune was very accurate and data logging shows that. The street legal tuner also allows you to data log. Steve cole is easy to talk to and he will tell you that as long as you run the components that the stage 1 download calls for they will be very close, it is when you throw other components into the mix that things can change. I have no reaon to argue the point as I don't care what someone believs or not. I know for me the stage 1 down load ran very good. my tts vtune runs very good too. If you have a tts loaded I would be glad to send you a copy of my present cal to look at.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts