Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im installing the the Wild 1's WO502 handle bars and can't figure out how to de-pin the two Molex connectors so I can run my wiring through handlebars. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
279 Posts
They are not too bad at all. I followed this post and was able to do it for the first time. Once you get the hang of it, smooth sailing.

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=5897

One tip of advice is to make a diagram of where the pins go and note where the little tabs are for when you put them back together.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just did mine this weekend. What a pain, man. The connectors weren't bad, but the front fairing and getting the ignition switch back together was a pain in the ass.

Follow Donk's sticky and you should be OK. I would add or emphasize a couple of things....
Make a drawing that shows the wires coming out of the connector and take pics of both sides. Its amazing how easy it is to get confused once you flip the connector over or reverse it.
Pay close attention to what Donk says when you are putting the connector back together. It is really tedious to get all of the pins facing the correct way so the little white piece will go back on.
Pay real close attention on the right side. The black piece of the connector where the wires enter will only snap in place in one orientation. There is a little registration pin or hump on one side of this piece. Its hard to explain, but you will see it. I had to take the darn thing back apart to get this right.
Find that other post by Donk about eliminating the green connector. I think it is well worth doing this.

And don't do what I did on the ignition. What a pain in the ass. I'm not sure what the right process is. I plan to post separately about this issue.

Good luck!

EZ

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You can buy removal tools for any good hardware or electronic shop. Don't forget to make a pin-out drawing of the plugs looking from the back of the plug not the front with wire colour and pin location then double check it before taking it apart. Maybe a good idea to a the HD manual with circuit diagram handy.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow, what a pain in the butt. Thanks guys got it figured out. I wish HD would have stuck with Deutsch. Now on to the the clutch and brake cable!
If you're changing the clutch cable, be sure to get all the parts you need before you get knee deep. When I did mine, I had to take the entire exhaust off up to the cylinders to get at the bottom two bolts of the cover. In doing this, you'll need the gasket for the cover and two gaskets for the exhaust tips where they go into the cylinder. You'll probably also want a new O-ring for the drain plug on the transmission. I recommend getting the whole thing routed and installed on the handlebars before putting the exhaust back on ... just in case.

Good luck!
Cheers,
G

1 - 8 of 8 Posts