Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK ... the blue RGS is really catching my eye. I currently ride a 2012 RG Ultra which truly feels like it's mine, but now have 40,000 miles on the clock so considering a change while she still has some value.

Spent time with my dealer and we are close on a number to make it happen. So looking for some feedback on anyone who has gone from an earlier RG Ultra to a new special.

Key is passenger comfort. I would add the detachable trunk (I use my trunk ALL the time, but have considered a detach kit for mine for the streamlined look when the storage is not needed). If you have gone this way, how comfortable is the stock seat for your passenger? Any complaints from passengers?

Power ... so the new intake looks good, but I have yet to see a stock intake that is not restricted. Is there enough airflow to live with the stock? Or is this the usual first upgrade?

I have the PowerVision on my 2012. I understand I can add a second ECU, so would keep the PV and use it on my 12. Is there a data port on the 12 for connecting the PV?

Sound ... I'm running the fosgate 300W with Rocker II speakers. What is my initial impression going to be with the stock sound system. I've heard guys who say with the new fairing, you can hear the stock system better than previous models. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the feedback. Love it when your bike just feels right. But sure like the looks of the new RG's.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed. It's a bit wider and higher. The height has been a problem as the windstream seems to hit my wife right in the forehead. So wondering if that changes if the stock seat and a truck are used on the '15.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
On my new 15 Roadglide I put the 10" flip windscreen from Windvest and with the lower vents open, no buffering and air slips right over my head. Love the addition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Passenger comfort has not been good for my son or GF on my RGS. Have not had them ride with the detachable tour pack yet but both have rode with the sissy bar. The seat really slopes back kind of locking them in limiting their abilty to make adjustments. I am looking at other seat options now.

You will also need to go with a new windshield out of the gate. The stock windshield is just too short. Not functional at all.

I am coming off a 2012 Switchback so extremely impressed with my RGS other than seat and wind.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Sounds like you are going to spend a lot to bring the 15's comfort level up to that of the RGU. Get an itemized list of cost for these improvements to add to the 15 model cost to negociate an "apples to apples" deal.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I owned a 2013 RGU and now have the Superior Blue 2015 RGS. I ran an LRS 12", Sanchos Wings, and tank deflectors on the RGU to minimize buffeting. The 2015 eliminated that problem right out of the showroom. Very minimal buffeting IMO. I like having everything detachable and the high output 103 gets the job done. All I have done so far is add RCX slip ons. All that and it looks bad ass. Glad I made the move. Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just got my new '15 finished up and went for a hundred mile ride yesterday. I have an ultra seat on the new RGS along with a Windvest 14" windshield. I'm 5'9" and my wife is around 5'2" or so. She said this bike is more comfortable and she gets less wind hitting her than she did with the 2012 RGC we previously had.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Passenger comfort has not been good for my son or GF on my RGS. Have not had them ride with the detachable tour pack yet but both have rode with the sissy bar. The seat really slopes back kind of locking them in limiting their abilty to make adjustments. I am looking at other seat options now.

You will also need to go with a new windshield out of the gate. The stock windshield is just too short. Not functional at all.

I am coming off a 2012 Switchback so extremely impressed with my RGS other than seat and wind.

Good luck with your decision.
Thank you! I wondered about the shape of the passenger part of the seat. Thx

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got my new '15 finished up and went for a hundred mile ride yesterday. I have an ultra seat on the new RGS along with a Windvest 14" windshield. I'm 5'9" and my wife is around 5'2" or so. She said this bike is more comfortable and she gets less wind hitting her than she did with the 2012 RGC we previously had.
GREAT! Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I went from an FLHTC Evo to my '15 RGS. My Evo wallowed in relative comfort...tall windscreen, "plush" suspension, tall seat, tall sidewalls, etc. It's a 90s Caddy Fleetwood compared to the Rushmore. The RGS's suspension "tune" is more late-model Caddy CTS-V, if you will...you'll feel more "connected" to the bike AND the road. You might even say the RGS is a harsh ride compared to its buttoned-down sibling...MOCO's own Ultra Limited. That being said, I'm not sorry I bought it and still digging my RGS...5000miles in 10weeks:D

DO IT!!!:D...but keep in mind that it won't feel as smooth as your Ultra...nothing that an open checkbook can't fix, though ;)

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
//snip// I currently ride a 2012 RG Ultra which truly feels like it's mine, but now have 40,000 miles on the clock so considering a change while she still has some value.
Oh gawd, 40k... she's truly worn out and not worth a nickel. :eek:

I just turned 64k on my '11 FLTRU this weekend on a 1,000 mile trip to San Diego. Got my scoot where I want it and the mileage doesn't concern me in the least. Motorcycles are not investments.

That being said, if you want a new one, get it. No need to rationalize.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I owned a 2013 RGU and now have the Superior Blue 2015 RGS. I ran an LRS 12", Sanchos Wings, and tank deflectors on the RGU to minimize buffeting. The 2015 eliminated that problem right out of the showroom. Very minimal buffeting IMO. I like having everything detachable and the high output 103 gets the job done. All I have done so far is add RCX slip ons. All that and it looks bad ass. Glad I made the move. Good luck with your decision
Thanks! I've test driven the 2015 and I agree the buffetting is almost eliminated. Thx

·
Registered
563 Posts
Got any pics you could post ? I would like to see that combo. flhman

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for all the great comments. Still on the fence, but if I pull the trigger I see a few things that I'll need to address: New 2-up seat, trunk, detach and back rest for when the wife wants to ride. And intake, headers, slipons and PV for me. Probably wait on the amp and speakers for a winter project.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The new air lid is a huge improvement over previous years. What my dealer did was gut the inside and added a high flow air filter. I have yet to take it off and look as I completely forgot about it.. Let me go snap a pic in a little bit..

The stereo has all kinds of issues and you can see a lot of them posted here and the HD forums. It has to do with getting the radio programmed and such with new updates killing the previous stuff. Even the stage 3 has intermittent cutting out issues. I have just held off on this until things get figured it a bit.

I bought a 10" freedom shield and probably the best bang for the buck you can do. As others stated, the windshield is really only good for looks. It also made the stock speakers seem much louder at highway speed where I dont need them on max anymore. Vent open and it's pretty cozy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts