Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the additional cost of the paint set and possibly longer turn around time balance out the cost of custom paint from a shop? I'm thinking about fairly simple scheme, maybe one color with a stripe, etc. What's a fair price on a custom job like that?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Between factory set or custom paint, custom since can make one of a kind. Although simple may be some pin stripes along the bike lines.
But dealing with a paint shop could be PIA.
$2500 up for well known shop.

·
Registered
462 Posts
A lot of "depends on" questions. If you are comfortable taking the skins off and putting them on you can save some $. Easy to do just take your time. Are the decals painted on or older model graphics that require complete sanding ? if you are doing the swap you probably don't care - if not it does matter when it comes to time and cost. Consider too if you do the swap and need repairs how much effort and time will it take to correct. The time of year also has an impact - is it peak season or off peak for the paint shop? I had the same concerns and looked at swap and local custom - my choice was local after visiting many shops and getting a feel for the shop and the person who would be undertaking the task. I did the removals and installs and had day to day conversations and reviews of the work (check my page if you want to see the work). If you were local to me I know who I would recommend and what price range to expect. Bottom line - decide on which approach you want to take and shop shop shop. Good luck and post pics so the members of the Tank can appreciate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will do, thanks for the input! I think I'm gonna go the custom paint route! Thinking some kind of dark blue with my already black powder coated metal chrome parts. Pics will be inbound.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
I went the custom paint route, my painter took a lot longer than he promised, but in the end I'm happy. I picked the color design and kind of paint, so I doubt if there's another bike exactly like mine. BTW I went with House of Kolor paint, not cheap, but good quality and some really nice colors.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
this might make your decision easier:

if you go with the factory limited paint sets, by the time you buy the tins, the fairing, the saddlebags, the tourpack, you will be into the paint set for almost $10,000 :eek: you can get a hella custom job for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts