Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Considering Stage ll audio

2016 RGU.
Over 60 and no fan of the loud smart ass base stuff.
I have a 30-40% hearing loss and hearing aids on the bike just suck. I do wear a helmet but do not like being hard wired to the bike. I ride a lot and enjoy listening to news and some music at times.
All of my other RG and RGU's were ok when it came to volume I could live with it.
The 2016 while it sounds great and works fine at highway speeds I can not hear it well enough.
I already know just changing speakers is a waste of time. I want to hear from other.
I am not interested in any aftermarket crap. I don't want to rattle car windows or piss people off . I just need better volume and sound quality at cruise. Winter is coming on and now would be a good time to tie the bike up and am sure it is good work of the dealer in winter.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Same thing here. My hearing at 50% lose and I just needed more volume to get clear audio.
I use J&M speakers in the upper and lower fairings and I switched to the Aquatic head unit and the sound was real good for my worn out ears. I did put in a J&M 500 watt 4 channel amp but IMO there was not much improvement with the amp.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same thing here. My hearing at 50% lose and I just needed more volume to get clear audio.
I use J&M speakers in the upper and lower fairings and I switched to the Aquatic head unit and the sound was real good for my worn out ears. I did put in a J&M 500 watt 4 channel amp but IMO there was not much improvement with the amp.
I plan to stick with HD. May years of doing this have taught me going cheap aftermarket does not end well. That is why I get so many trouble free miles out of my bikes.
Winter just starting I have a bit of time to figure it out. Good enough relations ship with the dealer. They will come pick it up if I decide to do .

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
The speakers in the lower fairing make a lot of difference. Nothing wrong with sticking with HD stuff but there are a lot better speakers on the market than the HD speakers.
The HD head unit will sound better with a amp too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The lower fairings won't accept speakers on a twin cool. Harley sells a premium 6.5 speaker upgrade that should improve the sound quality.

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
My buddy is pretty happy with his stage 2 Boom amp and speaker upgrade. He says it's a big improvement over the stock sound. He got the kit that has the separate tweeters.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I see that the stock HD sound system only puts out 25 watts a channel which is not real good.
Since you can't put lower fairing speakers in the Twin Cooled bikes a amp will increase the sound volume and quality in other words you will have a louder system with less distortion which is what is needed at highway speeds.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I wonder if your bike has the amp in it like the CVO bikes do. You may be able to get away with just putting in the one amp if you don't have one already.

My CVO has pretty good volume with just the one 300w amp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a stock RG 2016, same deal with sound. If I buy an amp, I'll probably need to upgrade speakers. I would think that I'd blow the speakers if I just added an amp. If If I added new speakers and amp would that help at highway speeds? I don't want to throw a bunch of money into it if the sound doesn't improve. I'm thinking bluetooth ear buds might be the best sound for the money. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a stock RG 2016, same deal with sound. If I buy an amp, I'll probably need to upgrade speakers. I would think that I'd blow the speakers if I just added an amp. If If I added new speakers and amp would that help at highway speeds? I don't want to throw a bunch of money into it if the sound doesn't improve. I'm thinking bluetooth ear buds might be the best sound for the money. Any ideas?
Kind of where I am at. I don't mind spending the cash to get it right. But also don't want to go way over board with it.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Another thing to consider with the Stage 2 is the issues they were having adding the harnesses for it to get 4 channels to the rear, a second amp in a saddlebag and who knows if they ever got the clipping of the amps resolved.

·
Registered
408 Posts
are you going to do the install or are you taking it to the dealer?

I don't think you'll be happy enough with the Boom upgrade, I looked at it but the cost vs improvement didn't seem to make sense.

For less money and a FAR greater improvement, the Biketronics setup come very highly praised but it was out of my price range.

After a lot of reading on here, I opted for some Infinity Kappa speakers and a Cerwin Vega B2 amp. Now for a little easier install (space is an issue with the Cerwin Vega) the Rockford Fosgate PBR300 is smaller. I opted for the Cerwin Vega though as it also seems better in regards to not interfering as much with FM reception.

I think if you could swing it, the Biketronics setup, which is plug and play, will fit the bill for you and you'll be much happier than using the Boom upgrade. This is what I've read over the past few weeks on several different forums anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide, being in the back of a Bradley for 3 years then another 2 shooting mortars did a number on my hearing too :/

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are you going to do the install or are you taking it to the dealer?

I don't think you'll be happy enough with the Boom upgrade, I looked at it but the cost vs improvement didn't seem to make sense.

For less money and a FAR greater improvement, the Biketronics setup come very highly praised but it was out of my price range.

After a lot of reading on here, I opted for some Infinity Kappa speakers and a Cerwin Vega B2 amp. Now for a little easier install (space is an issue with the Cerwin Vega) the Rockford Fosgate PBR300 is smaller. I opted for the Cerwin Vega though as it also seems better in regards to not interfering as much with FM reception.

I think if you could swing it, the Biketronics setup, which is plug and play, will fit the bill for you and you'll be much happier than using the Boom upgrade. This is what I've read over the past few weeks on several different forums anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide, being in the back of a Bradley for 3 years then another 2 shooting mortars did a number on my hearing too :/
If I do it I will have dealer install it they do ok by me. I stick wit HD parts as much as I can. Seems I never end up in those threads with all the issue with my Harleys, I like to keep it that way.
We travel a fair amount so I will not be adding anything in a saddle bag or tour back.
Never gave it a thought but I wonder if our Cardo Q3's will blue tooth with the radio?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Happy with my Boom! Stage 2 audio. Have speakers and amp and can hear it better and clearer than stock. I listen to news/traffic on my way to and from work (100 mile round trip) and can hear just fine at highway speeds. With the heavy metal cranked, I have hurt my ears. Yeah, you'll be happy with the clarity and loudness from what you described. I have no regrets.

·
Registered
985 Posts
You can get Alpine type R's and a Kenwood digital amp for $150 that blow away hog tunes. I know cause I had J&M went to hog tunes then a Kenwood amp and type R's. It's crazy loud and clear. Call 702 motoring in Vegas and ask for Dustin. The type R's are $109-129 a pair depending on 5.25 6.5 or 6x9. All fit in same as stock or hog tunes. The amp is $129 for a 400x4 and $169 for a 600x4. I'm running 6 off my 600x4. 2x 6.5 in fairing 2x5.25 in lowers. 2 6x9 in hogtunes speaker lids on my 13 road glide. I can send you a video of mine if you send me a email address or a text message. 406-591-8668
Or on Facebook. I'm [email protected]

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
590 Posts
All of you need to do more research! There isn't a boom product that is worth a shit! Never mind the money They charge...... small high end amp. stay away from barging amps. And get a good set of coaxle speakers a line levle converter and you will be happy and it will be less out of pocket.

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
I listen to this stuff all across the USA each year at all of the major trade shows ,,,,,,

if you don't mind spending the $$$$ ,,, this is the very best I have heard on the late model Harley baggers J&M Rokker XX Installation Kits ,,,,,

now before all of the naysayers jump in the middle of that statement ,,,, please come by the BIG J&M audio trailer at Daytona Bike Week 75 in March and compare your system ON THE METER to anything J&M has under the awning ,,,,,,

we are going to be doing an audio shootout there this year also, to let all riders compare their systems to others ,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts