Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I stated in a previous post that I'm wanting to upgrade my 2012 RGU to some sort of stage II performance package. Dealer quoted around $1800.
I got a second opinion for a local bike shop. He seemed very knowledgeable and took nearly an hour to go over my options and explained how the who system works. He suggested the following...

ZIPPERS AUTO TUNE 008-13 FLHT
2009 FLH EXHAUST DRESSERS DUALS
FEULING HP+PERFORMANCE PACK
SE QUICK ADJUST P/R T/C
551 S&S EZ START CAMS (KIT)
S&S AIR CLEANER
CAM SWAP HD B/T & XL W/TIMESAVERS
OIL CHANGE

PARTS & LABOR $3409.91

Thoughts and comments please!
Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
My thoughts are the price seems a bit steep. Are you mechanically inclined at all? Seems like a lot of that must be labor, or maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Seems steep to me. Wht is the cam swap? I would call fuelmoto or drago two of our sponsors who have a ton of experience to help you. I have stage II, my cost of cams, lifters, push rods, and gaskets where under 800.00. PV tuner 500.00. Exhaust was 800.00, and SE AC was around 140.00. I did not account for labor. Cams I did do myself with help. This will give you an idea :) not cheap no matter how ya look at it :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To do this build... No I'm not. Your right, that about $3100. of this is labor. Sucks to be me I guess. I knew I should have paid attention in school.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
T Man performance. Check em out. Getting 100 horse 111 torque with just a full tune and 600sm cam.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
In my opinion that is way to steep. I suggest you make the phone calls as suggested above.
I took my 96 CI to a stage 4 103 CI and payed right at $3000. I did get 20% off parts and 50% off labor so that helped. I also sent my heads out to be polished and ported and that was included in the $3000. I'm pushing 108 hp and 115 tq with my build.
Also, I don't like the S&S stuff. Seems like they have had some quality control issues in the past couple of years. Again, just my opinion.
Call some of our sponsors.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I believe that you should be able to accomplish the same results for a whole lot less.
'Don't know what part of FL you are from, Doc (one of the best reputations anywhere) is in the central part of the state

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
To do this build... No I'm not. Your right, that about $3100. of this is labor. Sucks to be me I guess. I knew I should have paid attention in school.
What part of Florida do you live?

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
As was stated before call Frank @ Drago's (815) 765-1790 or
Jamie @ Fuel Moto (920)423-3309 both are Sponsors of Our Forum.
I can personally speak of Frank as I've done business with him before and he is a great guy.
He will not sell you anything you don't need.
He will also steer you towards the right technician closest to you if you want to go that route.
If you give Frank a call and he doesn't answer leave him a message with your name and telephone number and let him know your a Member.
He will definitely return your call.
Best of Luck on Your decision.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You really don't need everything quoted for this build. I presume he quoted the HP+gear drive option...

I would
Skip the Feuling powerpack. Sure it's nice, but it's more applicable to the earlier bikes with pre-06 oil pump (my opinon). -$800...

Skip the easy-start. You have compression releases, you should not run both.

Go with standard bolt in 551 cams. Don't go with Gears unless you really want to spend extra cash. The new chain set up works well.

Pick up a set of S&S lifters.

I'd probably skip the Zippers auto tuner ... Autotune is good, but you're still better off dyno tuning... He WOULD be doing a dyno tune I hope with that price.... go TTS or SE Race Tuner if you have access to a dyno tuner who uses it because I get the impression you would not mess with the tune yourself. Zippers makes some great products but if you have issues they can be difficult to work with...

Labor is not the majority of this quote. Cam swap is cheap and using the timesaver pushrods makes it a LOT faster for the mechanic.

Look at the break down. If you have friends who can turn wrenches or have done cam swap, buy em beer to drink after they complete the install...

You asked.. just another opinion.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
In my opinion that is way to steep. I suggest you make the phone calls as suggested above.
I took my 96 CI to a stage 4 103 CI and payed right at $3000. I did get 20% off parts and 50% off labor so that helped. I also sent my heads out to be polished and ported and that was included in the $3000. I'm pushing 108 hp and 115 tq with my build.
Also, I don't like the S&S stuff. Seems like they have had some quality control issues in the past couple of years. Again, just my opinion.
Call some of our sponsors.
Not arguing but whats to steep? The lift? Works with stock springs or you can upgrade. Duration is perfect imo. Torqu is great all the way up. Heard the work even better with head work and 10.25 compression. I will be doing this cam soon.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
As I stated in a previous post that I'm wanting to upgrade my 2012 RGU to some sort of stage II performance package. Dealer quoted around $1800.
I got a second opinion for a local bike shop. He seemed very knowledgeable and took nearly an hour to go over my options and explained how the who system works. He suggested the following...

SE QUICK ADJUST P/R T/C
S&S AIR CLEANER
OIL CHANGE

PARTS & LABOR $3409.91

Thanks in advance.

Want some more?
Hang a pair of decent slip-on mufflers on it with a good air-cleaner kit.
Install either a Wood 222, or an Andrews 48, and take it to Mineola, Fla, to have Doc tune it at Doc's Performance Tuning.
No more complicated than that.
If you want more, bore the cases to accept a set of S&S 4 1/8" cyls and we will build you a 117"er.
That'll satisfy your power craving.............guaranteed.:D
Scott

P

·
0 Posts
Not arguing but whats to steep? The lift? Works with stock springs or you can upgrade. Duration is perfect imo. Torqu is great all the way up. Heard the work even better with head work and 10.25 compression. I will be doing this cam soon.

he`s talking about the price,not the cam specs

·
Registered
210 Posts

SE QUICK ADJUST P/R T/C
S&S AIR CLEANER
OIL CHANGE

PARTS & LABOR $3409.91

Thanks in advance.
Yikes! That $3409 is steep! Your dealer's estimate of $1800 seemed resasonable.

Since you advised you are not a wrench....
I see you are in Florida, you may want to get in touch with Vee Twin Racing. They are a site sponsor and located in Florida as well. Vee Twin used to be in Indiana and installed some gear drive cams for me several years ago when I lived in the same area. They do good work.

The best advice I can give you is to pick a shop you trust or build a relationship with and follow what they say. A good shop will have experience with combinations that work well together and will give you good results.

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts