Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking at new tires for my 2016 RGU. A mechanic I know recommended the Continental Conti Tour tires. I haven't heard much about them so I am seeking some actual experiences from those who have used them. Please share your review of the Continental Conti Tour tires. Thanks

·
Registered
542 Posts
I am gonna buy a new set also but I have decided on Dunlap American Elite, cus I read a jillion reviews. Lawabiding biker is what pushed me over. Check it out on you tube.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
I think if you research this forum you'll find that most are running Dunlops or Michelins. Don't recall seeing anyone reviewing any Conti's. I prefer the Dunlops.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Both are very good tires with Dunlap being better on wet pavement, the michelin may wear a little better.
I have Dunlaps now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I think if you research this forum you'll find that most are running Dunlops or Michelins. Don't recall seeing anyone reviewing any Conti's. I prefer the Dunlops.
Some of us run Avons, living in a rain forest I can verify that their wet performance is exceptional with no lack of grip at any speed - wet or dry; the new Michelin is almost an exact copy of the Avon in tread design. Why innovate when you can imitate? ;)

I am curious about the Conti's, though; I have run their car tires for my spirited wet riding for almost 10 years now and have always been impressed with those tires for our wet conditions (DWS06).

·
Registered
5 Posts
2016 rgs

You all make good arguments for new tires. I still seem to see a lot of good reviews for Dunlop. But I am looking at new tires at 12K. Is that the norm? How much more would the Michelin last? And Continentals? Durability? Longevity? Handling?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
You all make good arguments for new tires. I still seem to see a lot of good reviews for Dunlop. But I am looking at new tires at 12K. Is that the norm? How much more would the Michelin last? And Continentals? Durability? Longevity? Handling?
If you got 12k out of your rear tire, I'd go right back to what's on it. Just My Opinion.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Last April I was told to replace my Dunlop rear tire front had plenty left I had 16 k on this second set I was not going to put on one tire Dealer said that the HD design Dunlop’s came with a 60.00 gift card! All we run are Dunlop’s I don’t want to go that long out again put a pair on my wife’s 2017 RGS to help cover winter storage her of was 12k

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Some of us run Avons, living in a rain forest I can verify that their wet performance is exceptional with no lack of grip at any speed - wet or dry; the new Michelin is almost an exact copy of the Avon in tread design. Why innovate when you can imitate? ;)

I am curious about the Conti's, though; I have run their car tires for my spirited wet riding for almost 10 years now and have always been impressed with those tires for our wet conditions (DWS06).
I doubt the michelins can compare to the Avons in gripping the road, even with similar tread pattern.
I've been running Dunlop AE on the RG with good results. They still don't stick like Avons.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
I’ve run Continentals, Michelins, Dunlops and Avons and as far as I’m concerned Avons win hands down.
They stick to the road excellently and run great in wet weather.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have been using Michelin C2 for many years and have never been disappointed.
Longevity and road held on wet are waiting for you.
I think the Dunlop are noisy after 10K

·
Registered
455 Posts
Michelin Commander III‘s are supposed to be out real soon, might wanna have a look at them also. With tire wear, a lot depends on where you live and how you ride, keep up with tire pressures, etc...

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
before my bike got totaled i had put a set of the avon cobra chromes on. the performance was excellent. based on my experience with the tires, and with their customer service, when these stock dunlops wear out, i'll go with the avon cobra chromes again.

i usually replace them as a set, and i was getting over 20k with the american elites. i know the avons won't wear as long, but that just means that i have more opportunity to inspect my wheel bearings as i do my own labor.

but for the customer service portion, i had what i considered to be a warranty issue and i contacted dunlop, sent them pictures, and they never responded to me. f**k 'em as far as i'm concerned. i would have changed out the tires immediately when i bought these new bikes, but really, they've already gotten their money whether i run them or not, so it didn't make sense to throw them away and spend more money right away. but when they're gone.....

Reactions: Mike U

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Last time I had Continentals was on a Triumph, that’s been years ago. On Harley’s I’ve run Dunlop, Avon, and Metzler. I will never buy another Metzler, I had good luck with one set of Avon, terrible results from another. Dunlop OEM and American Elite have always given me good miles (20k plus 2010 and up) plus good handling and traction, I plan to stick with Dunlop. I also like that they are made in USA. BTW I haven’t tried the Michelins.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hello,
I am looking at new tires for my 2016 RGU. A mechanic I know recommended the Continental Conti Tour tires. I haven't heard much about them so I am seeking some actual experiences from those who have used them. Please share your review of the Continental Conti Tour tires. Thanks
I run the Dunlop am elite-going on 13360 miles,i can probably get 4000 more by looking at tread-however looking at going with native bagger front and radial,which means radial on the rear also

1 - 18 of 18 Posts