Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generally, I have been rather pleased with my 2011 FLTRU. She's taken me all over the west in style. She only has 63k, so there's lots of life left.

Lately I've been thinking back to my Road King, and how much I enjoyed having a solo seat and no tour-pak. But, I do like the convenience of the storage space on long trips. Also like the tunes... and even the communications.

So... do I convert to a detachable tour-pak or start with another scoot?

I've done a bit to this one: stage 1, bars, cables, Madstad shield, floorboards, monotubes, wheels, Ohlins, LEDs, lots of powder coating, etc.

If I converted my current ride, I figure I'd need:

• 4-point detachable hardware kit
  • quick disconnect for the wiring kit
  • antennae relocation kit
  • solo seat
  • some solution to change the billboard license plate when detached
Anyone done this and can throw out a ballpark number? I'm thinking it's $1500 or so.

Also, doesn't the removable hardware on the tour-pak rely on using the top of the shock as a mount point? Would it still work with Ohlins shocks? Not going back to the old shocks (though I still have them for some reason, in a bucket in the corner of the garage).

Anyway, I'm thinking I'd like to convert or move on before my Canadian ride this summer...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If I could have a second bike and still be married I would in a heartbeat, I even know where the bike is that I want and it is for sale to boot!

No one to answer too, get the second bike.

The conversion is cheaper in the short and the long run. You get the best of both worlds, stereo for running two up and single, remove the weight of the tourpak and passenger seat when on those cruise nights or short haul day trips.

In 08 the roadglide came the same as the 2015 RG and RGS. You had to build it into the Ultra, cheapest way was by making it detachable.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Call PC pain for prices. Even with the discount that you get from PC Pain you are still looking at $1300 to $1400. You forgot a few items too, such as the tour pak backrest and the tour pak luggage rack. Just keep the seat you have it will save you some cash.
The trouble with a used tour pak is unless it is a paint match you will have to pay around $300 to have the used tour pak painted to match your bike.
The tour pak is still the cheapest option.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I go without the TP as soon as its warm enough to not wear my FF helmet in the A.M. Love the difference it makes! the bike feels less top heavy and just changes my attitude all together. The dealer did mine, after all said & done it was right around $1000. Would also like to do something with my plate.

I do have a second bike, its a V-Rod with a lot of engine & aestetic mods, but its going up for sale this spring cause I just don't ride it enough to keep it.

And after everything I've done to my '11 RGU, it'd make me sick to have to start over again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
With a lil diligent shopping on the 'puter and some ol fashioned horse tradin at the swap meets, I'm confident that you can get ALL of that stuff ya want and still be less than 500 bucks. Give it a shot.... There's a lotta deals out there. JMHO.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
The Detachable tour pack does not rely on the shock mount. It attaches to the 4 pt dock kit.
Mine still uses the shock for the front mount and snaps around the rear pin of the 4 point docking bracket. (King tour pack )
My sissy bar uses the shock for the front mount and snaps around the front pin of the 4 point bracket.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Mine still uses the shock for the front mount and snaps around the rear pin of the 4 point docking bracket. (King tour pack )
My sissy bar uses the shock for the front mount and snaps around the front pin of the 4 point bracket.
DED HD is right . The tour pack mounts on nothing but the docking hardware. Shows how much I use it.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Looking on ebay there is some pretty decent aftermarket options for some reasonable prices. It looks as if you can get a nice tour pak for about 1/2 the cost of a HD tour pak. You would still have to paint it unless gloss black works with your color.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking on ebay there is some pretty decent aftermarket options for some reasonable prices. It looks as if you can get a nice tour pak for about 1/2 the cost of a HD tour pak. You would still have to paint it unless gloss black works with your color.
Mine is already an FLTRU, so I have a tour-pak. Even have the rack on top of it.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input... really appreciated.

Looks like I'd have to get the detachable tour-pak hardware powdered - everything else is black. Hopefully the 4-point hardware is available in black. Guess, I'll get to looking.

This is how she looks now:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I put a turn signal bar off an 09 street glide on mine and used that to mount my plate below. It has a license plate light built in. Then found a taillight lens without the clear window.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
DED HD is right . The tour pack mounts on nothing but the docking hardware. Shows how much I use it.
depends on whether or not you are using the 2 up or solo set up. on the solo set up, the front of the rack mounts to the shock mounts.

and to answer the original question, it wouldn't matter what shocks you use, the mount is integrated into the strut and the shock mounts to it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts