Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help, replaced the coolant today and drained about 31 ounces out and only put back about 24. I ran the water pump and fans and continued to poor in the fluid until it was no longer taking in fluid. I then filled the reservoir and ran the engine and took it or a spin. Checked the reservoir and it had he same level. Will it take the fluid from the reservoir if there is still air in the system? I'm going to watch the reservoir. Why did it not take more fluid?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I assume there is a thermostat. Did you get the coolant hot enough to open the thermostat? You need to be sure coolant is flowing or trying to.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I thought that also but the service manual mentions only starting the fans and water pump and you don't run the engine to open the thermostat when you are filling the system.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well I thought that also but the service manual mentions only starting the fans and water pump and you don't run the engine to open the thermostat when you are filling the system.
I don’t know how else one would get all the air expelled from the system without coolant flowing through the thermostat. But I defer to the H-D engineers who wrote the procedure in the service manual.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I gen pumps use thermostats, 2 gen pumps do not. If it has a thermostat it should eventually purge the air. So keep an eye on the coolant tank. Fact is, if it still has a 1st gen pump, you should upgrade it to a second gen.

With that said, you should be vacuum filling these cooling systems. Suck the air out and let the vacuum fill the system with coolant.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I gen pumps use thermostats, 2 gen pumps do not. If it has a thermostat it should eventually purge the air. So keep an eye on the coolant tank. Fact is, if it still has a 1st gen pump, you should upgrade it to a second gen.

With that said, you should be vacuum filling these cooling systems. Suck the air out and let the vacuum fill the system with coolant.
Do you have the tool for that, saw your post on the other thread seems like you have a very nice set up just need a little organizing as we all do🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Yes I have a suck filler around here somewhere. Its a lot faster for filling than pulling heater hoses to vent the systems. And a lot of these vehicles that used to have bleeders in the systems have eliminated them. They just expect you to suck fill them now. I just wish I had had a vacuum filler back in the 70's. It would have saved a lot of time.

Harley actually set the fill neck up so that it swings out, so there is room for the vacuum fitting to be easy to set up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts