Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK people, I know this has been discussed before, but looking for a vote here. Mustang or Corbin? Corbin is nearly twice the cost, Is it worth it? If anyone has owned both your opinion would be great.

·
Registered
241 Posts
OK people, I know this has been discussed before, but looking for a vote here. Mustang or Corbin? Corbin is nearly twice the cost, Is it worth it? If anyone has owned both your opinion would be great.
In my own personal experience, Mustang seats have always put me a bit more upright in the saddle than I care to be. I had a Corbin for a few years. Great seat, but for the money I feel like there are better out there. Like the Ultimate I once had....that was the most comfortable seat I've ever owned. Comes with an accompanying price tag though. Saddlemen's "Step-up" seat is pretty nice looking, and I think I'm gonna give one of those a try pretty soon. I don't hate the stock seat on my 18 RGS, but I'm gonna need something better before too long.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ultimate? Never heard of before. Is that the name of the company or of a model of their seat?

·
Registered
241 Posts
ultimate? Never heard of before. Is that the name of the company or of a model of their seat?
That's the name of the company. Canada based, but they have a shop in Daytona as well. I had a great experience with them. Quality was excellent.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I ran the Corbin dual tour w/ heat on two separate bikes. Other than the poor design mounting style of the backrest, I had no complaints. I am a a little "chubby" and once the Corbin got used to my behind, I could ride all day and not have complaints. Put 25,000 miles on the seat and it wore well and heat never failed me even after several rain rides. I have the Mustang Super touring w/heat on my bike now with the rider backrest and tour pak backrest. Wife loves that both backrests had extended armrests over stock. Did 12,000 miles last year and have come to the conclusion that function over form for me. Thought the Mustang was more desirous, styling wise. Corbin was much more comfortable for me and definitely heated the bottom much better. I have not tried other Mustang seats but this one seems thin in the padding area to me or for me, at least in the rider portion. Everyone is a little different. Mustang is a good seat, but trying to figure a way to justify ordering Corbin setup to replace it. Mustang seat has worn well, but I think having had both, my preference is for Corbin. I didn't think there was much difference in price for these two setups anyways. Not sure which one you are interested in. But think these two were within a couple hundred all said and done. The newest Corbin now has a cooling option, as well as heat. I think I will stick with just the heat, as you get a low and high option. Knowing how those felt. The new only has on/off heat and cooling. Not sure where that temperature would be, in terms of heat. Put links to the two that I have used. If you are interested in the Mustang, I could be talked into a deal for my used one, to put towards my new one??:grin:

https://www.mustangseats.com/Product/79007/Deluxe-Super-Touring-with-Heat-for-2008-up-FL-Touring-models-Tri-Glide-Ultra-Classic-and-Street-Glide-Trike

Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | HD Touring Bikes | 800-538-7035

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just went to their web site. Look a lot like a mustang seat
Something about the difference in seating angle and design I suppose. Everybody's different when it comes to seats, and it's tough to make a call on the right one without trying one before you buy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Comparing solos with a passenger pillion. priced a corbin yesterday for 1400 $ with the heated option. Can buy the super solo from Revzilla shipped to my door for around 750 with the passenger pillon and rider backrest. called mustang and they could make me a custom seat with diamond stiching for just over a 1000$ shipped. No heat so I guess that option would bring it in the same ball park as a Corbin.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wish I could make it to Daytona this year. I'm sure I could test them all there. I wonder if they would be at Americade this year. Never been

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have had the solo of both brands, I preferred the Corbin. I have a Mustang now and sent it to MCC to get it right for me. I also liked the curved rider backrest of the Corbin better. I can ride longer with the Corbin FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,149 Posts
I've not been on a Mustang seat, so I can't really compare. Having said that, I am really happy with my Corbin. Got turned on to that seat by other riding buddies that use it, and have no regrets. Lotsa miles and my rump is just fine. Corbin is not cheap, as others have pointed out, and I got the heated classic (solo seat, with a passenger seat attachment). It was still only about $1K total, and I rode up to their factory (Hollister, CA) to have it custom fit to my sorry ass and paid cash. No extra charge for the custom ass-fitting, BTW, plus I got to choose stitching colors, etc. Customer service was fantastic. Discounts are also probably available (ask about event discounts, etc.; say you were there, but didn't decide on it until you got back).

Anyway, good luck. Anything is better than stock.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've had one Corbin and five Mustangs, all on different bikes. I sold the Corbin. It sit me back to far.
The Mustang Wide Tour has been the best so far. I have a Wide tour with backrest that I bought for my Fatboy when it was my touring bike. Turned the bike from a 200 mile rider to 1000 mile a day rider.
I bought the seat it in 04. Still just has good as the day I bought it. I put 50,000 miles on that seat before I retired that bike from touring.

I currently have the Wide Tour and the Day Tripper for my RG. The Wide Tour goes on for the long haul. The Day Tripper for just day trips.

The Corbin will take longer to break in. Give it 2000 miles.

Like it was said earlier,, anything is better than stock. HD seats are only good for about 20,000 miles then they start to breakdown.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What seat models are you comparing? I have a Mustang Wide Touring with a passenger pillion when my wife wants to go for a ride. When I ride solo, I have a Corbin Widow Maker. I like both seats but I have to put the Corbin a step ahead in overall comfort and style. Here's a thread where I posted a couple of photos of my Corbin seathttps://www.roadglide.org/22-seating-seats-backrests/367575-corbin-widow-maker.html

·
Registered
6,555 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
str8shuutert, comparing the mustang vintage super solo and wide passenger pillion with the corbin classic solo and touring passenger pillion.

Eddie thanks for the heads up on the customer service troubles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have two Mustang seats, Sport Tour and Wide tripper solo. The only thing I don't like on almost everyone of their seats is the HUDGE passenger section like 14" wide. Looks fine with a tour pack but just too wide on my RG Special. Only the Sport tour had narrower passenger section but this seat does move you up and a hair closer to the bars (Not my favorite) but the seat is an "all day" comfort seat for me. Actually I am pretty happy with the solo seat but wife thinks the passenger pad is too thin. She has forgot about all the days on the fender with just a mouse pad. LOL

Only Corbin I had was on a hotrod FXR and I thought it was good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have owned both Corbin and Mustang seats for my Road Kings. If you are looking for style, Corbin is the choice. If you are looking for a comfortable ride especially for long hauls, Mustang is my recommendation.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has anyone put a super solo on a 2017 or 2018 RG. Did it move you forward and up ? If so was it significant or not. Talked to someone at mustang today and he said the feedback he has gotten is when installed on a newer RG or SG people are saying it moves them forward about 2 in. And raises them about 1in. But on a ultra RG or a FLHT it is about the same as stock.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Has anyone put a super solo on a 2017 or 2018 RG. Did it move you forward and up ? If so was it significant or not. Talked to someone at mustang today and he said the feedback he has gotten is when installed on a newer RG or SG people are saying it moves them forward about 2 in. And raises them about 1in. But on a ultra RG or a FLHT it is about the same as stock.
I have the Mustang Super Solo on my 17 RGS. Sat me lower, about an inch, and back almost 2". Very comfortable position for me & all day rideability.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts