Road Glide banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased new tires online before making a Michigan trip next week. I ordered the Michelin commander II's at a cost of $305. Add to that 3 bottles of 'ride-on' sealant at $40 and metal angled valve stems at $33....cost for parts, $378.....not too bad.......

I called my indie to have them installed. Maybe I made the mistake of not asking prior to dropping off the tires (to be installed next week). As I was walking out I realized I never asked the cost. I was told it's gonna be $145.

Does that seem right? I've used them before and had tires installed before and thought it was a lot cheaper. I know I could remove them myself but my jack has leaked and that's not possible in the limited time I have.

Just checking....it's not too late for me to pick up the tires and take them elsewhere but if the price seems at least somewhere close to reasonable.......

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
sounds like 2 hrs labor. if the wheels were still on the bike. a little high if you just dropped the wheels off.

the indy may be charging a little more in labor than normal since you didn't give him the chance to make some profit on the tires. be glad he'll even do the work, a lot of people are having a hard time finding one who will mount tires bought elsewhere.

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,630 Posts
Chiming in with the others. I paid basically the same (for wheel removal and tire replacement; just brought the indie the tires, which I could get cheaper elsewhere). It did include dyna beads (I opted not to go with Ride-On) and they used nitrogen (repeat customer perc?). But I didn't remove and reinstall the wheels myself. Took them about an hour and 45 minutes. I personally don't have an issue paying that rate for reliable work.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
I purchased new tires online before making a Michigan trip next week. I ordered the Michelin commander II's at a cost of $305. Add to that 3 bottles of 'ride-on' sealant at $40 and metal angled valve stems at $33....cost for parts, $378.....not too bad.......

I called my indie to have them installed. Maybe I made the mistake of not asking prior to dropping off the tires (to be installed next week). As I was walking out I realized I never asked the cost. I was told it's gonna be $145.

Does that seem right? I've used them before and had tires installed before and thought it was a lot cheaper. I know I could remove them myself but my jack has leaked and that's not possible in the limited time I have.

Just checking....it's not too late for me to pick up the tires and take them elsewhere but if the price seems at least somewhere close to reasonable.......
Sounds about right for just dropping the bike off. Make sure they know they don't have to balance the tires.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good guys, appreciate the feedback. Yea, I did give them the chance to match the tire price but they couldn't. Looking forward to trying out the tires to see if they're as good as others seem to think.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Most places except the HD dealer it is $50 a wheel if you drop off the bike, if you bring the wheels in it is $25 to $30 a wheel. It should only take 1 hour to remove/install both wheels and swap out tires.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I bought my tires online , went with Dunlop American elites, and I dropped them off to a great indy shop by me and had them mounted and balanced, I thought the price and service was good, a lot cheaper than the local stealer by me.:grin:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sounds about right if you simply dropped the bike off.

I'd take both prices (tires and labor) any day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.