Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone shipped a wheel and tire? If so, how did you ship it and what did it cost. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I have in the past, but its been a couple years. If memory serves, it was around $25 via UPS. I always boxed them up, usually made my own boxes with other ones I cut up. I recieved a couple tire/wheel combos wrapped in saran wrap before, and that seemed to work pretty good.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Cut out a couple pieces of cardboard (fairly thick stuff if you can find it) the size of the wheel. Tape that over the wheel (so it stays in place) then saran wrap the crap out of it (5 or 6 layers at least). I've shipped wheels like that before and there hasn't been any damage. I think the most I paid was about $40 and that was to Washington state (from Indiana). If you have a high dollar custom wheel, I'd make a box like CHAINSAW said, lay the wheel/tire in the box, then fill up the empty wheel space with packing peanuts. Unless they run over the box with a tank, it'll be ok. Probably spend $60 if you do it that way, though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Your local harley dealer would most likely be happy to supply you with a wheel and/or tire box. They break these down and discard them, call and ask... If there is shipping damage, best to be sure you ship in a box designed for the weight. A mounted wheel and tire should weigh about 35-40 pounds. Go to UPS site and plug in the addresses of origin and shipping address and select ground transportation, 40 pounds and your insurance info. and it'll tell you the price. I can ship wheels mounted from one side of the US to the other for about $35 each, or $55 if packaged together

·
Registered
256 Posts
I looked into it earlier. I think USPS was the cheapest @ ~ 35 from NC to IN for each tire. Each carrier has a price calc that is pretty good.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well guys, I just sold and shipped my front wheel and tire via UPS to Washington. Since the tire was mounted on the wheel, it had to be in a box. They would not allow the cardboard on the sides and saran wrap. Had to be in a box. They did say I could ship a tire only that way. I did get a box from the Harley dealer. After boxing it up, I took it to the UPS shipping center. I had to send it residential and not business. Maybe that is why it may have cost more. Anyway, it was nearly $64 plus another $5.40 for the "Fuel Surcharge". Lost some money on this deal!:mad:

·
Registered
234 Posts
i did a complete wheel, tire, and two rotor assembly about a year ago. fedex was under $40, like $38 if my memory serves me right. and it went all the way from jersey to california too. sometimes they do like a zone charge with the bigger items.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Well guys, I just sold and shipped my front wheel and tire via UPS to Washington. Since the tire was mounted on the wheel, it had to be in a box. They would not allow the cardboard on the sides and saran wrap. Had to be in a box. They did say I could ship a tire only that way. I did get a box from the Harley dealer. After boxing it up, I took it to the UPS shipping center. I had to send it residential and not business. Maybe that is why it may have cost more. Anyway, it was nearly $64 plus another $5.40 for the "Fuel Surcharge". Lost some money on this deal!:mad:
Holy crap!! thats insane man. I sent 2 sets of pipes, 1 muffler, crash bar, derby cover and some other various parts in one big box (almost 40 pounds worth) and it was only $54. Thats from KS to VA

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was 48.25 lbs, but the dimensions of the box made it 52 lbs billable. If you send as a business, I think it is a lot cheaper then sending as a home resident. Maybe I should have let the air our of the tire to make it lighter. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts