Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a set of ported and polished heads and a full top end gasket set. Called around for prices to have them installed, because it is 105 degrees in my shop, I also wanted it sooner. HadI done it myself, it would have taken me longer. So. All the prices I was quoted came in between 300.00 and 400.00. I decided to go with the middle of the road quote, mostly due to the ease of getting the bike to him and back. Just got a call. They satrted it on Monday and today it was done before 11 am. Bike is done. Bill is 610.00! Yikes!! What the heck happened to 350.00? He says that quote didn't sound right. I have to go in today after work and speak to them, as that is wayy too much to simply install heads imho. Plus it is also way over all the quotes I got. Granted, I did not get those quotes in writing, my bad looking back on it, but I asssumed they would give me what we verbaly agreed to. :frown:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I recently bought a set of ported and polished heads and a full top end gasket set. Called around for prices to have them installed, because it is 105 degrees in my shop, I also wanted it sooner. HadI done it myself, it would have taken me longer. So. All the prices I was quoted came in between 300.00 and 400.00. I decided to go with the middle of the road quote, mostly due to the ease of getting the bike to him and back. Just got a call. They satrted it on Monday and today it was done before 11 am. Bike is done. Bill is 610.00! Yikes!! What the heck happened to 350.00? He says that quote didn't sound right. I have to go in today after work and speak to them, as that is wayy too much to simply install heads imho. Plus it is also way over all the quotes I got. Granted, I did not get those quotes in writing, my bad looking back on it, but I asssumed they would give me what we verbaly agreed to. :frown:
Were the heads already assembled? Valve guides, valves, springs etc... If not they could have given the quote to install assembled heads and yours were not so they had to install the new parts. That kinda seems a little high to me but that depends on what they had to do. We would need more information to be able to see if they were high or not.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The valves, guides, springs, retainers were all installed. All they had to do is isntall the vapor recovery stuff, rockers, pushroods, exhaust and Intake. All of which needs to come off to do the hads anyhow.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like your dealing with Iron Steed HD again...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No, went to an indy. HD wouldn't do it. Nor could I have afforded it. As it was I got picked over pretty hard when I had the rear disc and brakes replaced. That was costly too, but at least the parts were half the cost.
This head job, they should not have needed anything. Just labor time.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Since you're in CA.....pay with a credit card....if you still think you're getting screwed when you pay....write "paid under duress" under your signature and report it to the BAR (bureau of automotive repair)

They WILL open a case and make a recommendation. And they are considered the state EXPERT so if they say you got screwed than you can take them to court or dispute your CC and the shop will LOSE as again....the BAR is considered the state EXPERT and there recommendation will be all you need.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Holy $hit, what's their labor rate per hr?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking the same thing. what was the labor rate? or did you have some sort of hang up? Went in last night after work and had a talk with the owner. we ended up meeting in the middle, I came up some, and he came down a little. Lesson learned, Get those estimates in writing, and get the name of the person giving the estimate.

But if you think about it, assuming a labor rate of 60.00 per hour, your looking at 10 hours. I did not bother asking, just wanted to get the bike out and clear of the shop. What have others paid to have heads installed?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Where are you located? If you're close to Northern AZ, I'll gladly do the work for you. I'm a certified Harley Davidson technician. I'll charge you 150 for a head swap, no reason not to have it done the same day as well. I have no personal way of tuning, unless you have an auto tuner, then I can help you out, but I do have a recommendation of a good tuner up here.
Anything I can do to help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I would recommend C Cycles in Hayward for work on your bike. They also have one of the top TTS tuners on the west coast. He can tune with other devices as well. I ride up from S. Cal just to have Bob tune my bike. Vacaville is a little closer Lol

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds like a really good price for head work. But I am in nor cal and the works already been done. Sorry. I am running the vance and hines fuel pack for now. Already had the Map loaded for this cam/ head configuration, but after riding it last night for the first time, I can tell, I need to call V&H and get it adjusted some, as I have a slight bog at 3000 rpm. I think it is running lean. Gonna get a better tuner down the road, but for now I am tapped out financially. Once I get the throttle body and the tuner, I need to get it to a dyno and figure out where we need to be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts