Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I saw some oil under my 2010 FLTRX with 80K+. Where in the heck did that oil come from; oil drain plug, oil pressure sensor, engine case, tranny drain plug, tranny seal, tranny trap door, derby cover, primary cover, primary seal, primary drain plug, blow back from oil cooler/oil filter, blow back from alternator plug?

Using a mirror with a flashlight I was able to get a real good look under the bike and see that the “oil pan” flange above the oil drain plug was extremely wet. Got out the service manual and torque wrench and proceeded to check the torque on every “oil pan” bolt, in sequence per the manual. To my surprise some of the “oil pan” bolts we tight, loose and then very loose; snugged everything up nice and tight. I did debate whether to remove the bolts and reapply some Loctite, but decided not to re-Loctite this time.

Now that I have several hundred more miles on the clock there are no more oil drops under the bike and the “oil pan” flange is nice and dry. Those loose “oil pan” bolts were the cause of my oil drops under the bike.

I added “oil pan” bolts to the factory’s critical fastener maintenance list to be checked every 20K miles. For those of you that have higher mileage bikes, you might consider adding “oil pan” bolts to your maintenance list.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Those oil pan bolts come with thread locker on them, so of course the MoCo would like you to buy new ones.

To be sure, cleaning and some locktite will make them good to go again. The issue will be the need to clean the threads in the hole. Not sure if a thread chaser is going to fit, they tend to have big heads on them, so that leaves the wire brush. And you would need to do that every time you break the bolts loose.

So as for checking them, at most I might set the torque wrench to a little lower than the loose end of the spec. Then be satisfied with them being that tight, as opposed to breaking the thread lock to get another 1/4 turn out of them. Prolly just checking for leaks when changing the oil is enough.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Wood. Will do a check of them on the next service for sure.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Open the manual for torque and proper sequence.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts