Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have:
  • the alpine installed in the HW adapter kit.
  • the HW unit connected to stock wiring harness, the dip switches set to alpine.
  • soundstream amp pn2350d, velcroed to inner faring.
I just want to double check what I need to do:

1. Wire directly from battery to 30W fuse (the SS amp is fused at 20W, yes?)
  2. fuse under seat to power of amp
  3. Ground amp to frame (I know some will argue back to battery)
  4. 14GA speaker wire (what I happen to have on hand) from amp to speakers.
  5. Connect RCA patch from headunit to amp.
  6. Connect "remote" lead from orange aux or ciz lighter to amp.
  7. Connect GND/BATT/IGN from headunit to the hawg-wired adapter.
  8. Connect the blue "steering remote control" patch from the HW adapter to the headunit.
  9. Power on and enjoy.
Questions:
The remote from headunit to amp. Without this the amp will not power on? Or without this, the amp will not power off?

The SS is fused with 2x20W blade fuses. Since the MAIN fuse on the bike was 40W, I assumed the SS would HAVE To be a 20W unit, so I would then get a 30W on the powerline from battery? Or should it be a 50W?

Anything I'm obviously missing? I'm going to pick up an inline fuse or fuse block for the power line on the way home today.

(I'm asking a lot up front because the bike is 30-40 mins away from home with no cell service :|)

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Most amps need the remote power to power on & off unless your wiring high level from speaker wires.
Why two different size fuses on the same circuit ?

·
Registered
672 Posts
The fuse on the amp is a safety net. It will blow before any major internal damage is done to the amp You will want a minimum of a 30 amp inline with your power wire.

Run the remote wire off the remotr turn on lead from the alpine head unit.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most amps need the remote power to power on & off unless your wiring high level from speaker wires.
Why two different size fuses on the same circuit ?
That's why I was asking. Seems weird to have a 30A before a 20A at the unit. But then I thought, if the power lead rubs and shorts on something, that 30A will prevent my bike from catching on fire.

The fuse on the amp is a safety net. It will blow before any major internal damage is done to the amp You will want a minimum of a 30 amp inline with your power wire.

Run the remote wire off the remotr turn on lead from the alpine head unit.
I see, the folks running from the AUX or the lighter were running head units without a remote signal?

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
I run the same size fuse as the amp . Also place fuse holder no more than 10 " away from battery.

I used the orange wire (cig lighter ) for my remote on my HT amp. If your head unit has one , use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts