Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i put the bike up on the lift tonight and started digging in to her because im getting ready to do some powder coating and paint plus some cams. when i noticed some oil residue on the cylinder. so i got a flash light and its inbetween two cooling fins on the front cyl right in the middle on the front side of that cyl. its completely dry everywhere. so im guessing that cyl must be cracked or somthing? i dont no! gonna call the dealer in the am to see what they say. still have 1 more year under warr.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cracked cyl?

Are you sure that's not the head gasket? Even if it is, it still shouldn't be leaking oil. Definitely something to have checked while it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya im sure! its just about center between headgasket and basegasket. right in the middle of friggin nowhere!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
ya im sure! its just about center between headgasket and basegasket. right in the middle of friggin nowhere!
It's not a cracked cylinder...

The new steel multi-layer head gaskets don't use o-rings and can weep. The drains from the heads go through a port in the gasket which is where the oil comes from. Usually the weep is caused by starting the engine and rappin it hard when it's cold. If you like to start the bike and rap it for your bro's when you've got a beer in your hand, I'd put my money on this... :)

That said, a pulled stud will cause the head gasket to leak which also could cause oil weep. That sounds like a quick chirp when you crack the throttle when cold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ill try to get a pic of it today. wouldnt there be a sign of oil near the head gasket tho? its perfectly clean from the headgasket down about 2-3 inches then inside two fins theres oil on top and bottom of the fins.

P

·
0 Posts
im sure its not cracked,but it could be porosity in the casting.either way,not a good thing

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing. If there's a crack all the way into the cylinder bore itself then I would expect the symptoms to include way more than some minor oil leakage, especially during the power stroke.

No matter what though, I'm sure glad it's under warranty because I do bet that disassembly is necessary, maybe even to simply find out exactly what it is that's wrong. I hope 71u140 and rageglide have it nailed - that would be a relatively easy fix.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
ill try to get a pic of it today. wouldnt there be a sign of oil near the head gasket tho? its perfectly clean from the headgasket down about 4-6 inches then inside two fins theres oil on top and bottom of the fins.
Shit, I gotta stop posting after a couple cocktails. :eek: I keep assuming... I assumed you were talking about the two fins at the head gasket.

Fractured cylinder seems like it would have more symptoms than a residue, such as an actual oil leak. Kirby's comment about porosity seems possible.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Shit, I gotta stop posting after a couple cocktails. :eek: I keep assuming... I assumed you were talking about the two fins at the head gasket.

Fractured cylinder seems like it would have more symptoms than a residue, such as an actual oil leak. Kirby's comment about porosity seems possible.
Shit squared. I read what y'all said instead of what OP said too and liked what I saw in your posts - didn't think it through. I still hope the oil is dribbling down from up a bit further though :(

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Shit squared. I read what y'all said instead of what OP said too and liked what I saw in your posts - didn't think it through. I still hope the oil is dribbling down from up a bit further though :(
A great example of that would be a drip from the head breather/air cleaner mounts which travels along the bottom side of the fin and shows up at the opposite side of the head... but again this is not midway or down in the cylinder wall portion of the fins, which is what OP seems to be saying.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i talked to a local mechanic today and he said its prob a porues cyl and that hes seen it before. now gotta wait till next week to use a buddies enclosed trailer to take it to the dealer 2 hours away. sad thing is i have a dealer 10 min from my house but 90% of the area goes elsewhere and for somthing like this i will too. heres a pic not a great one tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Post some pics of it please.

well i put the bike up on the lift tonight and started digging in to her because im getting ready to do some powder coating and paint plus some cams. when i noticed some oil residue on the cylinder. so i got a flash light and its inbetween two cooling fins on the front cyl right in the middle on the front side of that cyl. its completely dry everywhere. so im guessing that cyl must be cracked or somthing? i dont no! gonna call the dealer in the am to see what they say. still have 1 more year under warr.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Could be a drop of oil from an oil change. Clean it off with some brake cleaner & see if it comes back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i couldnt get any pictures to come out of inbetween the fins.that picture was with my phone. Ill take the camera with me to the shop tomorrow and see if i can get any better ones... well atleast its not the middle of riding season here in maine. hopfully this isnt a long draged out process and i can get this and my original plans done by the time the snows gone

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Did you drop any oil during your filter change ? could be a drop that got blown up afterwards during a ride. I think if it were a leak or crack you see more oil than that.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Couple shots of BrakeKlean then wipe it down with a rag, repeat then, a strong light should reveal more.

But as suggested earlier porosity seems most likely. Good news in any case (fracture or porosity) is that you're still under warranty. A good dealer probably would handle it out of warranty too.

P

·
0 Posts
i would defanatly clean it off & see if it comes back before i went trailering it 2 hours anyware

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It wont hurt anything if i keep running it? I guess im gonna purchase the ext warr! I called the dealer today and service didnt even question it. They just did one and a dry cracked front tire that i also need. bikes were also 2012's

1 - 20 of 20 Posts