Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Ultra
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

anyone have a stock heat shield you’re willing to part with? I noticed a crack in the front heat shield yesterday. Dealer said it’s not a warranty item

·
Registered
2019 RGU. Midnight blue/silver. “MARLIN”
690 Posts
Hey! I have a crack there too! I figured it was from me wiggling the pipe, swapping mufflers all the time. I thought I took a pic but can’t find it. It’s less than an inch long. I’m just gonna leave it until I swap headers. Unless I don’t LOL
Edit- I’m having trouble seeing the crack on yours. Mine is in the same area though. Top side by the timer cover.

·
Administrator
12,543 Posts
Might help if you posted the year of the bike also.

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,219 Posts
Might help if you posted the year of the bike also.
Or you could put that info below your Avatar all the time now.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Plating process, chroming, possibilities... over pickling the shields, improper direct cleaning, fked up Woods' nickel strike (straight plating)...

If it is? It should be a defect in workmanship

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Ultra
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer told me that it’s not covered under warranty

·
Registered
Charlotte 2017 RG Special
437 Posts
I had the same problem in the same location about a year after purchase.
It was determined that the spot weld on the inside of the heat shield where they spot weld the band had gotten too hot.
Vibration from the bike made it crack.
A local dealer (where I did not purchase the bike) ordered a new one and installed it.
No charge to me...under warranty.

·
Registered
2019 RGU. Midnight blue/silver. “MARLIN”
690 Posts
I bet if I take it in they’ll say they’ve never seen that before. And it’s normal.

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
I should note...local dealer wanted to check with corporate first before they approved this scope of work under warranty.
Corporate approved a few days later.

Reactions: azgrumbles

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Not uncommon my 2017 did it The HD dealership harlely is shutting down warrantry\ied it for me. Cracked the same as yours

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
View attachment 420067

anyone have a stock heat shield you’re willing to part with? I noticed a crack in the front heat shield yesterday. Dealer said it’s not a warranty item
Take a look here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts