Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, got a question. I just bought my 2016 Road Glide Special about a month, my first RG. I love the bike but it has a strange sound coming from the front of the bike. It sounds like a cracking popping sound. It only shows-up whenever I'm traveling at 65+ mph and it's especially noticeable when I'm driving directly into a strong headwind. I've ruled out the engine because of the pattern of when it shows up. It seems to me like the fairing is flexing due to the extreme wind pressure against it. Anyone else ever had this issue? Is there a fix? I never had this issue with my Ultra's Batwing fairing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hey there Captain. Sorry I don't know about the cracking in popping. My bet is you should check all the well nut screws to make sure they are holding your shield well enough. But welcome to the forum. Someone here will have the experience to help. Congrats on the NEW Scoot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks grambo, I'll check them. I also wondered if it might be the windshield. I recently changed the windshield and thought I tightened the windshield screws sufficient, but I was concerned with tightening them too much and stripping them or pulling them through. The windshield I installed was one I purchased from Long Ride Shields and it didn't seem to conform to the curve very well, but I was able to flatten it out and pull it down with the screws, but it doesn't seemed to seal very well. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'd think there are only so many places that would cause the fairing to make that kind of noise. Loose headlight nacelle? Windshield cracking around the fasteners? Loose windshield fasteners? Fasteners joining the fairing pieces together snug? Loose fairing mount? (hold the fairing with both hands and try a light lift and lower) Loose lower fairing mounts? (visual and hand check) Other things maybe, like a loose air cleaner, or even a wheel bearing? Yeah, I know the wind wouldn't have an effect on a bad wheel bearing's volume, but something I'd check anyway. Hard enough to diagnose an intermittent sound, much less from from this vantage point. Based on what you're saying though, those are some of the first places I'd check. Someone who might have had a similar problem might chime in before long.

Edit: Didn't realize you were new, so a hearty welcome from Florida as well.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thanks grambo, I'll check them. I also wondered if it might be the windshield. I recently changed the windshield and thought I tightened the windshield screws sufficient, but I was concerned with tightening them too much and stripping them or pulling them through. The windshield I installed was one I purchased from Long Ride Shields and it didn't seem to conform to the curve very well, but I was able to flatten it out and pull it down with the screws, but it doesn't seemed to seal very well. Thanks for the advice.
I was too slow on my post. One of the things we forget to ask is, "when did the problem start, and did it start after you changed something"? If the problem started after your windshield swap, I think you've found your problem.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Try reinstalling the new shield. If noise continues. Reinstall the stock shield. If noise continues take in in for warranty, if resolved contact the new shield manufacturer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was too slow on my post. One of the things we forget to ask is, "when did the problem start, and did it start after you changed something"? If the problem started after your windshield swap, I think you've found your problem.
It's hard to say if it started with the windshield change, as I've only had the bike about a month and changed the windshield within days of buying it to replace the short 8" screen that comes with it. This is my first Road Glide, but not my first frame-mounted fairing. I used to ride a Gold Wing back 20+ years ago and didn't have this issue. I didn't know if anyone else had experience this as normal for a RG. thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
Right. I like UT_Larry's idea. Plus, like he said, let HD take care of it. It's worked into the price of the bike, take advantage of it. Where we all have a problem here and there, the techs deal with most these things on a daily basis, and are generally pretty quick to diagnose. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Thanks for all the replys and suggestions. I've found what was making the noise and I'm a little embarrassed to tell you. The cracking, popping, rattling noise that I kept hearing when I mostly rode directly into the wind was...the sun visor on my helmet! One of the rivets had broken loose from the helmet and was causing the visor to rattle in the wind. I removed the visor and all is well. It's crazy, but sometimes it's the little things. :(

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Update: Thanks for all the replys and suggestions. I've found what was making the noise and I'm a little embarrassed to tell you. The cracking, popping, rattling noise that I kept hearing when I mostly rode directly into the wind was...the sun visor on my helmet! One of the rivets had broken loose from the helmet and was causing the visor to rattle in the wind. I removed the visor and all is well. It's crazy, but sometimes it's the little things. :(
LOL
OK Now That Funny.
Well it wasn't the bike so thumbs up on that right.
Now you need to replace that helmet with the snap on visor & buy a HCI polo helmet.
I've been wearing these helmets for some time and they are just great.
DOT approved as well
Swomack

http://www.jafrum.com/shop-by-brand/hci-helmets/105black

·
Registered
951 Posts
LOL!! Glad you got that one figured out.

Welcome to the Forum. I love your Location. I can't read that without singing it. :laugh:

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
I was going to suggest either the Front Muffler Bearings or Front Blinker Fluid Floater Cap.....gad it was not either

Welcome

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I was going to suggest either the Front Muffler Bearings or Front Blinker Fluid Floater Cap.....gad it was not either

Welcome
It's almost time for you Yankees to change out the summer air in the tires to winter air too. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Congrats on the new scoot and welcome from SW Oklahoma!

·
Registered
8,856 Posts

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts