Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those who know more about twin cams than I do. On a 96 CUI twin cam, can you vent the crankcase from the crankcase as in drill and tap a crankcase vent in the traditional old style vent and just plug the head vents. Or, does the 96 twin can have to vent from the heads due to engine design and oil circulation. I am asking because I am getting ready to do a complete rebuild on a 2007 RG and boring out to 107, including the lower end, and while the cases are apart I would like to drill and tap for a traditional crankcase vent and do away with vent banjo's and the hose running down the side of the engine from the heads. I haven't been able to find where anyone has done this, but unless engine design prohibits this, it seems like a good option.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Frederick

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
The crankcase vents are in the heads and you would need to plug them off.
There is really no need to do the crankcase vent change because the current crankcase vents work just fine just as long as the umbrella valves are in good working order and the crankcase isn't overfilled with oil, there is also no need to run crankcase vent lines to the ground.
If you only fill the crankcase with 3 1/2 qts of oil you never have a problem with the current crankcase vents.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi Fredrick, I don't have the technical know-how but I've used this book a lot! If you don't have it already it's well worth the money spent. Just my two cents!

Reactions: BARSR and RGKen
1 - 4 of 4 Posts