Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://youtu.be/7C0rV8wfOLo

Like the title says. I started noticing my 2013 RGC with 13k doing the above. The battery is fully charged and always starts on the second try. The dealer says its normal for the bike to crank up to 8 times before starting but the bike has never done this till now. The warranty is up at the end of the month so any thoughts? I'll be heading back to the dealer this week.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Do you have any type of tuner on the bike? Its hard to hear but it sounded like it was popping through the A/C a few times?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, a screaming eagle tuner was added along with 255 cams, thunderheader, SE intake and SE plugs after the bike broke in at 1000 miles. No engine mods since then and shes been running great. The battery was tested and is holding 395 cca. I checked the plugs and made sure the spark plug wires are tight.

This morning, she started perfectly. Less than 2 strokes and she fired right up.

.... gremlins!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
My 2010 did the same thing. Had my battery tested also and checked out just fine. Had it tested again and it actually had a bad cell. Put a new battery in and no more problem. May not be your issue but that is what fixed mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 street glide with about the same set up doing the exact same thing. Did you ever figure out the true issue?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
What happens if you just let it flip over a couple of turns, then hit the starter again? As opposed to letting it turn though six or seven times before trying a second time.

It gets a little extra fuel each time you hit the starter button. And some maps are a little stingy with that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No codes, Changed plugs, check plug wires, Mapping was checked and is right where it was dyno'd to. It's like it's not getting spark and loads up with fuel. If I stop cranking then hit it again it starts normal, sometimes back firing a little because it loaded up with fuel. It's just like in the video Sam posted and started out once in a great while but now is more often than not. Was hoping he would chime in if he ever resolved the issue. The dealer changed the crank position sensor, said it was cutting out intermittently (horse crap) and $150 later it's still doing it. Their now going to Harley tech.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My 10 is a bit persnickety about starting when it's hot out (regardless of her temperature), but always pops right off on the second try. But I had also been following the dealer instructions given when I picked her up to always wait for the engine and alarm lights to go off before hitting the starter. Which is 2 or 3 seconds after the pump stops. And adding more fuel to the start had no effect.

Recently - curious puck that I am - I decided to try going for the start right after the pump shut off, and damn if she don't start on the first try damn near every time now.

I've never been a fan of grinding on the starter, 2-3 turns tops and let go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not so much when its hot or warmed up but if it's bin sitting awhile. My temporary fix is just that, if it cranks more then what should be normal (a couple revolutions) and I hear it spit through the big sucker air cleaner, I stop cranking then hit it again and starts like it should. Just anoys the hell out of me and not sure if it will not start at some point and could be doing any damage. May have to run it until it breaks or gat a code. Still waiting to hear back from Harley. May ask them about flashing the computer if that would work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts