Road Glide banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many of you may know that my Softail had a bad runout issue and measured out to .029 runout. When I pulled my RG apart and put a gauge on the cam side of the crank it measured out to .003, which I was really excited about considering how loose HD has adjusted the crank specs to. This last weekend I did a bit of work to Kim's bike (changed lifters and inner cam bearings) and got the opportunity to check her crank out. It measured to .0025. I'm pretty excited about that! She got a good one that should last her a while.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Posted

So many of you may know that my Softail had a bad runout issue and measured out to .029 runout. When I pulled my RG apart and put a gauge on the cam side of the crank it measured out to .003, which I was really excited about considering how loose HD has adjusted the crank specs to. This last weekend I did a bit of work to Kim's bike (changed lifters and inner cam bearings) and got the opportunity to check her crank out. It measured to .0025. I'm pretty excited about that! She got a good one that should last her a while.
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=217833&page=6 Harley has got so lax with there specs the crank runout can be 10 degrees an still ok for chain driven cams this is on a new bike that's not right Harley is only selling the name I doubt if I will ever buy a new one again maybe an evo with all the new products you can make an evo run and be dependable

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Cool!
I just checked mine a few months ago on my 08 and I only had .003 which is good for the mileage I have on my bike.
I used Mobil 1 20w50 V-Twin oil in the bike since it was new.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
When the T/C's were being advertised in all the magazines like Cycle World, Mortorcyclist, etc, etc, etc, back in 1998/1999 the Moco was bragging up how robust the "new" crank was, with it's larger diameter crank pin, connecting rods.
They forgot to mention the fact that they could slip on the crank pin, causing the pinion shaft to gyro the pump/cam plate into oblivion.
But that said, not all model/years are bad.
What we've witnessed here is that the ALL TIME WORST are 2004's,(saw one @ .067"!!) and then a pile of the 2007's.
Most late models finally seem to be good.
Scott

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My buddies 99 was out .032 and i thought that was bad,wow .067 did it take out the cly's too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.