Road Glide banner

Crank work

9K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Durwood 
#1 ·
Has anyone here had work done by either Dark Horse or Revolution Performance?

Im going to have my crank welded and balanced as well as the timken conversion and H beam connecting rods. Ive read reviews for both but I figured I would ask here.

#6 ·
Seems like an overwhelmingly one sided opinion. Lol.

I actually spoke with John at Darkhorse yesterday. I called RevPerf as well. I figured I would get both their recommendations for my build. Both were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Thats the reason for this post because it seemed difficult to choose which to go with.

#7 ·
Darkhorse would be the best option but if you are not putting in a big HP/torque build there is no need to weld/balance the stock crank.

#8 ·
I'm doing a Fuel Moto 107 build with headwork and 777 cams. Even if it wasn't absolutely necessary, since the motor will be aprt, it is insurance to have work done to the crank. It's peace of mind that whatever I throw at the motor, it will handle it.

#10 ·
My mission is to ride 50k per year ~ 30 hd's in ~ ask me why I think the stock crank is junk.... If you ride 5k per year you can get some decent service ~ If you start rolling big miles you exploit every possible weakness.

Stock Crank 16k ~ Remanned NEW SilverMoon Crank 36k. This is on the 12 CVO Skunk I have now. 56k on the clock and third motor ~

I liken reworking a stock crank to polishing a turd, lipstick on a pig, and ask the fine folks about their warranty ~ and if they cover labor if you happen to spin the crank bearings out.

My bikes are not beaten on the bottom ~ but ridden long and fast ~ Same belt for 56k ~ rear tires 15k + on the OEM Dunlops. My first rear tire outlasted the Stock 110 crank ~

I am just sharing my experience, I know others with high miles have had more favorable results ~ The S&S 124 is in it now ~ We'll see how it goes.

SemperFi

#11 ·
Funny my 08 came stock with 96" engine and it has had a 103 BB stage 2 in it and it had a 103 stage 4 in it and now it is back to a 103 BB stage 2 and I have well over 75,000 miles on the original stock crank. I always used Mobil 1 V-Twin oil in the engine.
There has been bikes that have had crank problems but it isn't as common as we are lead to believe.

#12 ·
I'm not disagreeing that some have had good service ~ My 06 had 93k on the clock when I sold it ~ My 10 74k ~ no crank issues on these ~ Heatwave's 09 SERG ~ third crank 21k ~ Quite a few members here have had the crank woes ~ I am going by the original post ~ Revperf ~ DarkHorse ~ my .02 is to utilize the S&S new. This is the first HD I have ever had to split the cases on ~ My riding style is my style ~ hasn't changed so I have to think it is an issue with the later cranks....

#13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I like the conversation about the topic.

Ive read many posts and done a lot of research about the crank failing and NOT failing. For me, its the added security that it wont fail. If the motor is down to the case anyway, its added insurance for me.

Ive been wrong once or twice in my life (way more than that) but in this case, if Im wrong, the consequences wont be so bad.

Mitchdm, if you dont mind, what was the cost of the new crank as opposed to getting the stock crank worked? PM me of youd prefer, id like to compare pricing. Thanks.

Thanks again to all for the replies. Im pretty set on working the bottom end and after to speaking to John from Dark Horse again this morning, im pretty set on using them.

#14 ·
numbers are not exact ~ I sent Silvermoon (builders choice) a new 110 crank ~ $1200 for the crank and approximately $800 for the rework. $2k in the crank

I think the S&S is about $1200 and no work required in my opinion.

Not knocking anybody's work just relaying an experience.

Many have had good success with DarkHorse, RevPerf, HD & S&S Cranks ~

A few have not ~ Good Luck and enjoy the new build!

#17 ·
I agree with the gentleman who rides the snot out of the Skunk. He makes a lot of valid points based on real serious miles. I also agree with Hillside about picking a proven professional and following his advise.
That said, Rev Performance did mine 2 plus years ago and it is fine. The reason it was done: to correct shitty workmanship on a 2011 motor with less than 10,000 miles on it. Would it have stayed together? Who knows. I chose to fix it, move on and make more power. Maybe the newer units are better. I know quite a few that needed fixing here in the valley. A friend of mine is installing a S&S 124" motor in a 2014 Street Glide this week. He's tired of fixing stuff and chasing performance. Should be a blast and durable.
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.