Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've got an 09 Road Glide with a not stock 96ci, with a PCV&Auto tune. I just replaced my comp with a man o war motorsprocket, and put in a new battery, now I'm having a no start issue. I've tried unhooking the PCV, and hooking up the ecu, still no start. When cranking, the tach is reading about 300rpm, and drops back to zero when I quit cranking. Fuel pump cycles normally, and plugs are wet after cranking. Got any suggestions, I've tried cleaning all wiring connections.
Thanks,
Dugweed

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I'm not getting any spark, tested it by pulling plug and cranking while grounding plug on headbolt. Coil?
Thanks
You can get an inline spark tester at your local harbor freight for like $5. The spark tester can go inline between the coil and plug wire or in between the plug wire and plug. Use a test light to check to make sure you're getting power to the coil pack connectors
Automotive lighting Cable Auto part Wire Engineering

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm truly at a loss. My buddy has a '10 street glide, I just spent the evening pulling his known good (it runs) ckp sensor, coil, and ecm and put on my bike, still crank no start. So on a lark I put my ckp sensor, coil, and ecm on his bike...it starts and runs fine. I guess I am chasing down a wiring gremlin, after I swap all those parts back onto his bike.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Well, I'm truly at a loss. My buddy has a '10 street glide, I just spent the evening pulling his known good (it runs) ckp sensor, coil, and ecm and put on my bike, still crank no start. So on a lark I put my ckp sensor, coil, and ecm on his bike...it starts and runs fine. I guess I am chasing down a wiring gremlin, after I swap all those parts back onto his bike.
So it's still not getting spark with all of your buddies components on your bike? Did you check to see if the coil has power at its connectors yet?

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Super Moderator
12,069 Posts
Back to Basics, have You checked with a test light all The Fuses?
Also, have You ohmed the Spark Plug Wires to make sure they are not at fault?
Best of Luck and Keep Us Posted.
Mike U.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it has power to the coil pack when switch is 1st turned on, for 3-5 seconds, and when I push start button power comes back on to coil when it is cranking. Yes I checked all fuses with a dvom before and after I pulled them all out and cleaned them. All have battery voltage.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Yes it has power to the coil pack when switch is 1st turned on, for 3-5 seconds, and when I push start button power comes back on to coil when it is cranking. Yes I checked all fuses with a dvom before and after I pulled them all out and cleaned them. All have battery voltage.
Are you sure you checked coil power and not fuel pump power? If I'm not mistaken, the coil should have constant power with the key/ignition on engine off. The fuel pump will power up for a few seconds then turn off when the key/ignition is turned on.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Pull the codes and write them down. Then clear them and see what comes back after you try to start it,

Past that, have a look at the crank sensor and its harness, make sure it didn't get Murphy'd during the comp replacement.

Then break out the electrical diagnostic manual and run the engine cranks but will not start diagnostic ladder.

·
Registered
2022 Road Glide Limited
49 Posts
Now that you know you have voltage at the coil, test for ground while cranking. If you see it pulse then fault is likely at coil or plug wires or plugs as coil has what it needs to fire. Strange on the timing though.

below is straight out of service manual for engine turns over but does not start.

in order of checks for a no start.
1. Fuel tank empty
2. Fouled plugs
3. Discharged battery or loose terminal connections
4. Plug cables or swapped on wrong cylinder
5. Damaged or loose wires on coil connections
6. Ignition timing from faulty coil or ECM or sensors
7. Bank angle sensor and ignition switch not cycled
8. Fuel filter clogged
9. Sticking or damaged valves or wrong pushrod length.
Plugged fuel injectors.

·
Registered
2022 Road Glide Limited
49 Posts
I checked the Y/GR wire at the coil.

OK that is coil voltage…
What are you seeing at the front or rear coil lead as you crank? If they are pulsing a ground to fire the coil, then you are pretty close to the fault.

link to diagram…

Colorfulness Rectangle Product Slope Font

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm not getting any spark, tested it by pulling plug and cranking while grounding plug on headbolt. Coil?
Thanks
Have you tested your ckp? It could also be a fuel issue as well. How do you know you are actually getting fuel? A fuel pressure test would be a good thing to run. Often time the bypass valve sticks and doesn't allow the proper amount fuel to get to the injectors.

·
Super Moderator
12,069 Posts
Have you tested your ckp? It could also be a fuel issue as well. How do you know you are actually getting fuel? A fuel pressure test would be a good thing to run. Often time the bypass valve sticks and doesn't allow the proper amount fuel to get to the injectors.
See post #6. The OP changed out parts with His Buddy and still no spark.
Mike U.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Maybe I missed it are there any codes? there should be and that would be the first thing you need to know

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm just thinking out loud here - But the damaged crank position sensor harness theory (as mentioned above) makes the most sense to me, given what the bike is doing.

Maybe giving it a really good looking at is worth a shot?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts