Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to eliminate the crash bar on my 2015 Road Glide. Does the new fairing require different hardware than previous year Glides?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking to eliminate the crash bar on my 2015 Road Glide. Does the new fairing require different hardware than previous year Glides?
Have you found any infomation on the eliminators?...I have a request to Dirty Bird for information..

·
Registered
462 Posts
I like the Hell's Foundry model - works very well and is unobtrusive. Need to check with them if they make one for the 15s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok..dirty bird does not make one yet for the 15s. I will check with this company to see as well. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm going to get my 2015 into Don Hotop right after the first of the year. He is the one that makes them for Drag Specialties. So far there is nobody that I have found that makes them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It looks so clean without the crash bar!!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
It does look better, however if it tips over there's going to be some serious damage. I'm going to add the rear bar to mine. Guess I'm getting old. I go for function over looks most of the time and I know some very experienced riders that have had a tip over. Does look nice though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Black powder-coated engine guards (aka 'crash bars') and saddlebag guards...the best of both worlds...protection and stealth style ...especially on vivid black bikes ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sometimes I choose style over function. Sometimes it's the other way around. I decided to eliminate the crash bar, because I could find one that i liked...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Black powder-coated engine guards (aka 'crash bars') and saddlebag guards...the best of both worlds...protection and stealth style ...especially on vivid black bikes ;)
I agree, like you said the best of both worlds. I'll probably eventually have mine powdercoated

·
Registered
329 Posts
fltrxs.jpg

Gotta kinda sorta "squint" to see them on my bike at certain angles ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I installed the eliminator and still left the crashbar... cleaned up the look by just eliminating the down supports from the fairing. Just extra "junk" that cluttered the look.

On a side note... I ordered mine from Hells Foundry.... it took FOREVER to get it! and this is after they charged my credit card. Literally took more than 3 months. very frustrating process.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I installed the eliminator and still left the crashbar... cleaned up the look by just eliminating the down supports from the fairing. Just extra "junk" that cluttered the look.

On a side note... I ordered mine from Hells Foundry.... it took FOREVER to get it! and this is after they charged my credit card. Literally took more than 3 months. very frustrating process.
That's not good to hear! I was looking to get them also, mostly just to remove the crash at supports so I can use the lower fairings from my last bike. Any distributors carrying them yet?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I had Hells Foundry fairing supports on my 2010 FLTRX to be able to take off the engine guard. One day while making a casual left turn I hit something very slippery on the road and laid the bike down. The main floorboard support bracket held the weight of the bike. It did scrape the bottom of the saddle bag that I had to get repainted and the bottom rear of the fender from counter steering. It did scrap the bottom of the outer primary just below the derby cover and I think this is the only thing that may not have been damaged if I had the engine guard. The fender and saddlebag would have still been scraped. For those of you that are saying that you will do a ton more damage without the engine guard you will be surprised. Yes the engine guard offers more protection but not as much as you would think on just laying the bike down. Most think without the engine guard the fairing will hit. All I can say is that mine did not. The only way this would have caused more damage is that if it were at higher speeds in which case the engine guard won't save the damage anyway. If you want to get rid of the engine guard because you like the looks then do it. That's why we pay for insurance anyway. :p

·
Registered
453 Posts
Emailed Hells Foundry and got a reply back, Derik said he is making a batch now and they should be ready by Friday.

Personally I am not a huge fan of the look of the crash bar, but coated black they are unobtrusive and can really save your bacon. Also, lowers are really very nice on long, high speed hauls and in the cold and wet. Can't hang lowers without a bar. I am looking at the eliminators for my '15 becuase I have a good set of lowers from my streetglide that were not on when I totalled it. With the eliminator they should bolt right up without having to cut the cap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the engine guards removed and it is so much cleaner and I was able to add my own flare for pegs and such. I had my machine shop make them for me and he is now selling them. Let me know if your interested and I will get them. I have one pair on me as our Harley parts guy was checking them out for a custom build. He is able to ship within 2-3 days and generally keeps some in stock. They are a little different from what I have seen pics from Hell's...wouldn't know as I could never get a response... single piece of 14 gauge steel, precision bent and powder coated. Did I mention that I love mine....He has done good by me as I have had several brackets and gadgets customized and powder coated from him. post or IM and I will get them to you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts