Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wanting to add some speakers to my crash bars on my 15 RGS but not wanting lowers.
I’ve seen some speakers in housings made to mount on handle bars that have their own individual amps.

Anybody on here use these things with their stock radio?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Are you talking about wakeboard tower marine speakers?
I have never used them myself but I have seen them on some older bikes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about wakeboard tower marine speakers?
I have never used them myself but I have seen them on some older bikes.
I had to look up Wakeboard speakers up and that is the idea I have in my head but in a smaller scale.
I've seen some bullet shaped speakers that are made for bar mount but these are deigned for bikes without a stereo that a MP3 or phone plugs into. I want something that I can hook up to the stock stereo.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This company also makes a set they must be very proud of

https://ddcustomcycle.com/parts/dd-crash-bar-speaker-kit/
I think that's it. Not a lot of info on their site but that is the idea I'm after. Yeah they are pretty pricey but so is adding lowers, that I don't really want. Even though they are vented I don't like the extra heat, or look. The last lowers I had, on a '10 EG Ultra I pulled the lowers off.

Now the question is, is the stock stereo a four channel stereo that would push these or will an amp be required?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Do you have the 6.5 radio? If so there's a plug for the rear speakers up near the radio. You'd also need the radio flashed to enable the rear channels. If I were going this route I'd invest in a four channel AMP though and upgrade your fairing speakers as well.

The factory head unit isn't a power house..............................

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Wevesspot. Yes it is the 6.5. One thing that has really helped with the sound is some impact ear plugs. Cut the wind noise down but still lets the tunes in.
A Long Rides Shield helped as well.

I'm not looking for a rolling boom box just a bit louder for some songs that play softly through the radio at 80 mph.

It does irk me that I have to take the bike in to the dealer to do a reflash just by adding speakers. Hard to make the time for it.

Funny,, since I've started searching for speakers I've had a pop-up add come up on the right side of the forums screen from Steel Horse Audio that has what I'm looking for at considerable less than the ones posted in the above post. Made in the USA too.
In looking at their Q&A section it looks like a new amp might be needed.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
In looking at their Q&A section it looks like a new amp might be needed.
The adage that gets thrown around a lot is "buy once, cry once" :)

I completely understand your goal, but trust me when I tell you this. You'll be x100 happier with the entire upgrade if you take care of the AMP and upgraded fairing speakers while you have everything apart.

I'll even throw out a budget option for you.

Get the crash bar pods without speakers then.................

Buy 2 sets of Infinity Kappa 62.11i if you can find them, or the newer version Infinity Kappa 62.ix. Either way your looking at approx. $139 - $149 per pair. So figure $300 for speakers.

Buy 1 Cerwin Vega B54 or NVX VADM4 4-channel amplifier. Looking at approx. $150 - $170 depending on which route you go.

Contact Biketronics and have them set you up with the correct line out converter. $80 for the LOC and they will rent you their special flash tool to flatten the EQ curve and enable the rear channels (Last I heard that was running $65 + refundable deposit). Made sure to mention you are a RG forum member for a discount.

Various installation parts - figure $40 -$50

All in you're at $650 worst case (not including pods)

Speakers $300
AMP $170
BT355 LOC $80
Flash Tool Rental $65
Install parts $50

You WILL be able to hear your tunes at 80+ and the SQ will be acceptable. If you don't get in a hurry you can find used Infinity Kappas or AMPs here or at the "other forum" that have been well taken care of and basically just like new. There are some bike audio folks that upgrade or try new things more often than I change socks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The adage that gets thrown around a lot is "buy once, cry once" :)

Speakers $300
AMP $170
BT355 LOC $80
Flash Tool Rental $65
Install parts $50
That's not a as bad as I was expecting and I'm not in a hurry so I may peruse the classifieds and see what shakes.

A whole heap of thanks at you Mr. Wevesspot for all the info. I wasn't aware of the tool rental. Part of what's been holding me back is the trip to the dealer.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
That's not a as bad as I was expecting and I'm not in a hurry so I may peruse the classifieds and see what shakes.

A whole heap of thanks at you Mr. Wevesspot for all the info. I wasn't aware of the tool rental. Part of what's been holding me back is the trip to the dealer.
Much appreciated.
No worries. When you call Biketronics to order the BT355 talk to Donna about the flash tool. She will get you all set up.

If you don't want fade control between the fairing and lowers you could skip the flash all together and save some money that way. You can feed the 4-channel input side of the AMP using RCA y-splitters i.e. head unit > bt355 > y-splitters >4-channel input AMP >4 speakers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts