Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we had a group of 12 folks, 9 bikes. We did a loop from Greenville, SC up to Mt. Airey, NC near the Virginia line. On the return we tood the Blue Ridge Parkway for a few miles. As a word of caution - at one of the small bridges we hit a bump hard enough to bottom out our bike. The couple behind us hit hard also, lost control and went off the road to the right side. He wasn't hurt (scratches) but his wife has dislocated shoulder, several broken ribs and a cracked vertabrae. Bike (13 RGU) slid/flipped multiple times and is totalled.

We were cruising in the 45 - 53 mph range - no hotdoging. Seems unbelievable that it happened. Makes me wonder about a suspension upgrade.

The Ranger said we were near mile marker 223, but I didn't really see mile markers. Anyway - even though it's slow - be careful!

Hope everyone is having a safe (safer) holiday weekend!!

Ron

·
Registered
406 Posts
The BRP will lure you into a comfort zone, it's a beautiful road, but it will reach out and bite you..there are several crashes and fatalities on the BRP yearly.Even minding your P&Q's . Pot holes, sweeping curves, and even wild animals are all things that need to be watched out for.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will be on the parkway in that area on my way to SW next month. Hope the injured couple heals quickly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A few years ago, A buddy and I rode the BRP from north to south. I was foggy and rainy every day and there were critters of all kinds everywhere. From black bear to deer to turkey poults. It was so foggy that I couldn't see my buddy's tail light from 6 feet away. It was challenging and we didn't get to check out all the vistas from the side of the road but it was fun. Stayed in Mt. Arey (SP) at the Mayberry Motel and ate at Goobers!!!
Just saying...Ride Safe!!!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Rode the BRP this time last year. We took our time and I stayed focused on the road. Had to watch the video from my GoPro to see what I missed. Biggest challenge for me was dodging all the bike cyclists. Damn things were around every curve. Still can't understand why anyone would pedal up that mountain.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I will be riding the Blue Ridge Pkwy. next month, and to be honest, I was thinking this ride would be a piece of cake. You all have opened my eyes to the potential hazards on this ride, and for that I thank you,

Ron, hope your friends are recovering from their injuries. I will definitely be looking for that bridge at mile 223.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts