Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
3,455 Posts
On the 07 and later models it called for 38 fl oz of lubricant in the primary when doing a oil change so maybe you should have been putting in a little bit more oil.
With the oiling problems of the older style SE compensators it would seem that less oil then what is recommended would just cause the compensator to go out sooner.
I too took the hayden primary chain tensioner out of the bike and went back too the OEM tensioner but it wasn't because of the warranty.
To me the primary chain seemed to tight with the Hayden chain tensioner, my primary chain was as tight as a banjo string using the Hayden tensioner.
I kind of wondered on how the OEM tensioner could over tighten the primary chain when the top of the primary chain would have some "sag" in it.
The problem with the stock tensioner was it only goes tighter. It is a ratchet up, never down. It tends to over ratchet up and leaves the chain too tight. That is what causes bearing failure.

The Hayden is spring loaded. That slack you see with the stock tensioner is the "compensation" needed to allow the chain to flex. The stock tensioner has no flex, none! It is all in the chain slack. You do not need that slack with the Hayden because of the springs. It is the springs that provide the "compensation" for chain flex, so it can run at a more consistent tension. It also is not capable of overtension if you follow the installation instructions. No overtension, less chance of bearing failure.

As to how it gets to tight with the stock tensioner? That sag you see at the top is not there when you are running. The engine pull is taking all that slack, and moving it to the bottom. When that bottom slack gets to be too much, the stock tensioner ratchets up a notch. The problem is, that chain is slapping all over the place when you ride, and sometimes the tensioner ratchets when it should not. Remember, it only goes up, never back down. So, when it ratchets when it should not, it is now in an overtension mode, taking too much slack out of the chain.

The Hayden springs take out a lot of the chain slap that happens (makes the bike run quieter too). When you need to tension up, springs push up. When you need to tension down, springs compress, then return. If you set it up right, according to the installation instructions, you always have the proper amount of tension on the chain.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.