Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,046 Posts
The compensator in my '15 CVO Ultra with only 3700 miles clatters like a threshing machine at idle when hot,
and it's fairly easy to make it clatter when pulling away from a stop.
The idle with the 255 cams is pretty snotty sounding, which translates in to a lot of compensator motion.
Finally got around to buying the new license for my Power Vision, gonna do some playing to see if I can clean up the idle a bit.

· Registered
3,046 Posts
If the stock primary chain tensioner only ratchets up (which it does) and over tightens the primary chain then why is there slack in the top of the primary chain??? If the OEM tensioner over tightens the primary chain then there would not be any slack in the primary chain it would be as tight as a banjo string just like the Hayden.
To me it would seem that the slack in the primary chain is a indicator that the chain is not over tighten and there is less pressure put on the clutch hub bearing.

If you open your primary cover and find slack in the top run of the chain your stock tensioner has not "over" ratcheted. Problem is, many people have opened their primaries to find NO slack with the chain, much like you see with the Hayden, except that the chain is TIGHT with no way to loosen. This condition WILL destroy crankshaft, clutch and transmission bearings.
A lot of people freak when they see the chain on a Hayden equipped primary. It looks tight, it has simply had the slack taken out WITH the ability to move as needed against the tensioner springs.
It's my understanding that the latest Haydens have been shipped with slightly softer springs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.