Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I am going to be doing my bars this weekend and can't find a crimper to crimp the pins on the new wire extensions. Can someone tell me what tool I need and if any place carries it on the weekend? Lowes, Home Depot, Dealership,...?
Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think I ordered my crimpers off ebay or amazon. The ones the dealer uses are a few hundred, but you can find a decent set for 30 or 40 online

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am checking with a buddy today that runs a car garage to see if he knows any place in our area that has it. Or I am going to a) borrow his if he has one or b) just order the above from amazon. For how much I am saving on lsbor, I can buy a tool. No biggie. I want it done right while I have it apart. I don't want to have to tear it apart again.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the tool came in last night and it will not work for my pins. I bought : Amazon.com: D-sub Dt Series Deutsch Crimping Tool 20-12 Awg: Automotive Amazon.com: D-sub Dt Series Deutsch Crimping Tool 20-12 Awg: Automotive

It crimps with 4- pins that push toward the center. My pins dont crimp like that.

What my pins look like is like these.

Any ideas what tool I need?

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Same pins I've used before. Without seeing a pix of the tool you bought the only thing I can suggest is to hit up YouTube for videos on how to use it. I'm on my phone at the moment or I'd look up that crimper you posted

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I jus did extra soldering points. Cut harness in half and extended, soldered again. Never had to remove molex when doing it this way. I can see the crimps saving a ton of time though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I was half tempted to do this!! Stagger the solder joints and not even tear the connectors apart. Nobody ever mentioned this before here nor HDForums and I was wondering why.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Hey Dan, I apologize for steering you wrong on the crimper. The one I posted is for the full round pins that are used elsewhere on the bike (deutsch connectors). The blue one pictured above works for the Molex connectors for the bars.

Again, sorry I got that backwards.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.