Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my new headers on last week and saw this issue, figured I'd deal with it later.

Now it's later. Any ideas how to get my second muffler to at least be somewhat closer to centered on my bags and fender?

This is the pipe that crosses under the bike and then runs back.

Tried using a dead blow hammer, but it only moves then moves back.

It seems as though the cross under pipe needs to be bent towards the rear tire. The muffler doesn't stick out as far as the other side. So it's less of a side to side issue, as it is a front to back issue.

Ideas? Anyone have to remedy this?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
I have the same problem. I posted on here awhile back and people told me it's the cross under pipe. I haven't gotten to it yet but it does make sense. They said the pipe is in too far and to move it out and that should take care of it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of some light heat and then bend it a bit by squeezing a 2x4 between the frame and exhaust.

I'll see if I can find where it might be on too far.

Let me know if you figure youre out. Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
before you go heating and bending stuff, try loosening up the clamps on the crossunder pipe. once you got that all loose, you can 'pivot' your muffler using the top mount points as the pivot points. that should align your muffler some.

hope that makes sense.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
before you go heating and bending stuff, try loosening up the clamps on the crossunder pipe. once you got that all loose, you can 'pivot' your muffler using the top mount points as the pivot points. that should align your muffler some.

hope that makes sense.....
Makes sense and I gave it a shot. No Bueno. The issue there is that I pivot the muffler and while holding it in its new position, I retightened the top bolts. I at first figured it would hold the new position, but since the top bolts tighten onto a bracket that slides within a rubber isolator, the exhaust just slides back to where I started. Tried it 3 times over the weekend. Same result everytime.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had that problem as well. I bought the full cross-under pipe from Fuel-moto. It come with a different bracket that the OEM. It holds the slip on nice and straight and the front to rear is the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts