Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a coast-to-coast ride. My riding buddy and I traveled 6,730 miles through 21 states over the course of 12 days. We left South Carolina on June 7th during tropical storm Andrea and returned home on June 18th.

While in California, we crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, rode through Yosemite National Park, and crossed the Sonora Pass (9,624 feet at the top). Once we returned to South Carolina, we rode down to Charleston to make it an official coast-to-coast trip and back.

We took the southern route to California mainly on I-40 and came back most of the way on I-80 before dropping south from Omaha. I'll load some photos for proof (no photos, didn't happen). ;)

That's me on the left with no ball cap and dark sunglasses at The Golden Gate Bridge with my riding buddy.

The Pacific Ocean

End of the road; time to head back east

Waterfall in Yosemite National Park

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Few more pics from the trip:

Sonora Pass

Yep, it was a little chilly up there

Lake Tahoe

St. Louis

Ravenel Bridge in Charleston, SC

Back home with the sales guy who sold us our Harley's

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
That had to be fun, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Very cool trip!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's cool! Thanks for sharing the pics. Would love to hear more details of the trip.
on average what kind of miles were you putting on . Thought of doing a coast to coast but was thinking it would be a 2 weeker for sure
We left Greenville, SC on Friday, June 7th at 4:00 AM. We rode 858 miles the first day and stopped in Fort Smith, Arkansas which is only about 15 miles short of the Oklahoma state line. Day 2 we had the most difficult riding conditions of the entire trip from Oklahoma City to Amarillo with the most severe cross winds I've ever ridden in. We stopped in Tucumcari, New Mexico which was only a 557 mile day. Day 3 we rode another 713 miles and stayed in Needles, California (in the Mojave Desert) which meant we traveled from South Carolina to California in 3 days for a total of 2,128 miles. Most of these miles were on I-40.

We spent day 4 riding across California through Paso Robles to a small town on the coast called Cambria. Day 5 was a ride up the Pacific Coast Highway to San Francisco (which included dinner in China Town), ride through Oakland during rush hour and an overnight stay in Tracy. Day 6 included a ride to Sacramento and then on to Yosemite National Park which was a gorgeous ride. Day 7 was a ride over the Sonora Pass, around Lake Tahoe, and an overnight stay in Reno. At this point, we decided the sightseeing was pretty much over and it was time to head back east.

Day 8 was a ride from Reno to Evanston, Wyoming and Day 9 was a ride from Evanston to Kearney, Nebraska. Day 10 was riding from Kearney to Mt. Vernon, Illinois and Day 11 was from Mt. Vernon to Greenville, SC. Day 12 was the last day of our coast-to-coast trip in which we rode to Charleston, SC, crossed the Ravenel bridge (about 3 times :D), ate lunch at Tommy Condon's Irish Pub which had the best shrimp and grits I've ever eaten, and lastly a ride back home to Greenville where we had our picture taken with the salesman who sold us our bikes.

Oh yes, we did put our hands in the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean to make it official.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad you guys are enjoying the pictures. My wife gave me this camera for Christmas in anticipation of going on this cross country trip. The zoom feature was pretty amazing on this camera. Shown below are a couple of photos taken from the same spot; one with no zoom showing where a guy was standing out on some rocks just off shore and the second photo was a zoomed in shot of the guy on the rocks. I didn't even know the guy was on the rocks until I used the zoom feature. I'm sure the zoomed in view would have been even better had I been using a tripod instead of just holding it in my hand.

No zoom; the guy is on the rocky point at the greatest distance from where I'm standing.

Zoomed in view of the guy on the rocks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That's a cool trip thanks for sharing the photos and details.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts