Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to hook up with riders interested in going on a cross country tour? I'm retired and have a flexible schedule, just looking for someone with experience in long range touring, and some company.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What's the best way to hook up with riders interested in going on a cross country tour? I'm retired and have a flexible schedule, just looking for someone with experience in long range touring, and some company.
Well,......the best way is doing what your doing here and you may find yourself a cross country partner. I went x-country 3 years ago next month with a friend through a forum and it was a good trip. Would love to do it again,....but it'll be a few years before I do this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Each June the Mother Road Rally takes their ride on Route 66. from Chicago to LA. Good ride, good people.

Hutmo
Rt 66 would be the iconic ride. How many in the group?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well,......the best way is doing what your doing here and you may find yourself a cross country partner. I went x-country 3 years ago next month with a friend through a forum and it was a good trip. Would love to do it again,....but it'll be a few years before I do this.
Thanks. Looks like I already got several leads!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last year I rode the Lincoln Highway from Pittsburgh to Nebraska.

This summer I plan on riding the western half all the way to San Fran where the LH ends. Should be a good ride.

HUTMO
LH not far from me. How are you getting to the halfway point to start your ride to SF?

·
Registered
525 Posts
September 11-25, HOG National rally is the Mother Road from Chicago to LA. Registration opens May 5TH.

No idea what this would be like, as I've never done a riding rally, nor attended a notional HOG rally, but could be interesting..........

·
Super Moderator
1,815 Posts
The Lincoln Highway and Route 66

Route 66 Mother Road Rally - They run this each year in June with anywhere from 50 to 100 riders. Many of the riders are what they call repeat offenders. Once you do the ride you will want to do it again.

Everybody breaks into groups because some just want to get to the hotel, some want to see certain things and some(like my group) just wanted to search for old original alignments and ride them

LINK - http://www.hhjm.com/rally/

I plan on riding the super slab to Nebraska to pick up where I left off last year. I may jump on the LH after Chicago. Such a great ride once you get out of Chi Town.

In Joliet tthe LH and old Rt66 overlap each other for a few blocks. Cool Stuff

You can read my blog by going to http://www.hutmo.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Route 66 Mother Road Rally - They run this each year in June with anywhere from 50 to 100 riders. Many of the riders are what they call repeat offenders. Once you do the ride you will want to do it again.

Everybody breaks into groups because some just want to get to the hotel, some want to see certain things and some(like my group) just wanted to search for old original alignments and ride them

LINK - http://www.hhjm.com/rally/

I plan on riding the super slab to Nebraska to pick up where I left off last year. I may jump on the LH after Chicago. Such a great ride once you get out of Chi Town.

In Joliet tthe LH and old Rt66 overlap each other for a few blocks. Cool Stuff

You can read my blog by going to http://www.hutmo.blogspot.com/
HUTMO: Great info--including your blog! Too bad I didn't look into this last year, I'd like the trip you did in your blog. Anyway, the Mother Road Rally does sound interesting. Their site suggests $135 per day; since their trip is seven days one way. Wow, the trek can get costly if one assumes another seven or more for the ride back--Ouch! Maybe need a bedroll and tent! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
1,815 Posts
HUTMO: Great info--including your blog! Too bad I didn't look into this last year, I'd like the trip you did in your blog. Anyway, the Mother Road Rally does sound interesting. Their site suggests $135 per day; since their trip is seven days one way. Wow, the trek can get costly if one assumes another seven or more for the ride back--Ouch! Maybe need a bedroll and tent! :eek:

On the tour you can easily keep it below 135. Figure to ride 250 to 300 miles per day. with three guys your room rate will be about 25 a day. Before the ride they send out a list with contact info for all of the riders and this allows you to join up with others to split the hotel cost.

On the way home... camping is the way to go. I generally use KOA sites. They run a bit more but have all of the conveniences. Camping with bathrooms, a pool and wireless. What more does one need?

HUTMO

·
Super Moderator
1,815 Posts
I have wanted to do a ride ffrom washington state to Key west :cool:
That would be a great ride. I have a sister in Orlando and would like to visit her on the bike and then go to Key West for a few days.

I am planning on completing the Lincoln Highway to San Fran this summer and then riding up the coast to Seattle and then working my way back east to Pittsburgh. At the point I will have ridden in every state west of the Mississippi and a bunch east too.

HUTMO

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the tour you can easily keep it below 135. Figure to ride 250 to 300 miles per day. with three guys your room rate will be about 25 a day. Before the ride they send out a list with contact info for all of the riders and this allows you to join up with others to split the hotel cost.

On the way home... camping is the way to go. I generally use KOA sites. They run a bit more but have all of the conveniences. Camping with bathrooms, a pool and wireless. What more does one need?

HUTMO
HUTMO: More good info. I definitely am interested in the Mother Road (and the LH). Trans-Canada would be nice, too. I thought about KOA as well. $30-plus for a tent site! Wow! Back in the 60s you could camp for free, and KOA was next to nothing.

I'm one of those guys who somehow gave up riding raising a family during my working career, and I think I need to get some overnighters under my belt first. (I also need some mods for long distance touring. :D) So, I'm looking at next year for the cross country.

If you're going in 2011 maybe we can hook up! Have a great trip this year. I'll be following your blog if you continue to post. Let me know. -Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts