Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I'm far from an expert so cut me a break if I use incorrect terminology. So I removed the outer fairing and while reinstalling, I cross threaded one of the lower fairing screws. It is one of the screws that hold on the lower air deflectors (I believe HD calls them "Willy Wings"). It is on there (but cross threaded) so I don't want to drill the screw out until I have the replacement parts.

Here's my question: Is the part that the screw goes into replaceable or would it have to be repaired? Again, the fairing is on so I can't see if the "screw hole" is a part of the fairing or if it is something that can be removed and replaced.

I case my description isn't clear, I have included a picture. It is the top lower fairing screw. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's hard to tell if it screws into the inner fairing or a ferrule from the parts diagram. You might have to take the outer fairing off unless someone else on here has had the same issue.

It there is a ferrule you can buy another one.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to tell if it screws into the inner fairing or a ferrule from the parts diagram. You might have to take the outer fairing off unless someone else on here has had the same issue.

It there is a ferrule you can buy another one.
Thanks, I actually went to the dealer to ask. They said that the "screw hole" is part of the fairing and would have to be repaired.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
There are 2 screws per wing. The bottom screw connects the inner and outer fairing. The top screw's only function is to hold the wing on.
You can leave the cross threaded screw as is, try to chase the threads with a die, or silicone a screw in. I wouldn't use JB Weld in case that you have to replace the wing at some point.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are 2 screws per wing. The bottom screw connects the inner and outer fairing. The top screw's only function is to hold the wing on.
You can leave the cross threaded screw as is, try to chase the threads with a die, or silicone a screw in. I wouldn't use JB Weld in case that you have to replace the wing at some point.
Thanks for the info. This is the point where I call my good friend who is a Machinist and say, "Hey, what the fuck is a JB Weld?" Then he takes care of the rest.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
JB WELD is a two part epoxy that can be used to rebuild threads and glue on steel patchs. You can find it at your local hardware store. Comes in two tubes like toothpaste.

The trick to rebuilding with JB Weld is using a release agent on the screw so that you can take it all apart again. Before you even mix any JB Weld, coat the screw with 2 light coats of Pam cooking spray. Let the Pam spray dry completely between coats, hold the screw with pair of pliers so that you can coat the threads evenly without having the Pam spray running off.

When the 2 coats of Pam spray are dry, mix a little of the JB weld, you'll only need an amount the size of you pinky fingernail. Use a toothpick to fill the threads in the bore with JB weld, just the threads, don't fill the bore completely. Use the toothpick to fill the bottom half of the threads on the screw, put the screw in the bore and thread it in using a screw driver until it is "home". Don't try to put any torque on it, just have in place all the way in.

Put a trouble light shining on the repair for overnight. Keep the light at least 1 foot to 2 feet away from the repair. The heat from the lamp will force cure the JB weld and make the epoxy crosslink better for a stronger repair.

The two coats of Pam cooking spray allow you to remove the screw later on and it will be clean as a whistle with all the JB weld left behind forming perfect threads in the bore, a mirror match to the screw threads.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
+1^^^^^^^ That is the best way to fix stripped threads in the outer fairing. It worked on the 2013 and earlier bikes anyways.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've fixed my fairing many times with JB weld (don't use the JB weld that sets in 5 minutes) I just let it cure for 24 hours and drill it out a little smaller than the screw being careful not to drill through the outer fairing. You can use a tooth pick as a guide by inserting it into the wet epoxy and as you drill you can check repeatedly keeping the wood in the center. I've never had to redo one a second time. Setting the screw in wet epoxy can be done but if the epoxy bonds on the threads or the head of the screw it can make it difficult to remove later.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I've fixed my fairing many times with JB weld (don't use the JB weld that sets in 5 minutes) I just let it cure for 24 hours and drill it out a little smaller than the screw being careful not to drill through the outer fairing. You can use a tooth pick as a guide by inserting it into the wet epoxy and as you drill you can check repeatedly keeping the wood in the center. I've never had to redo one a second time. Setting the screw in wet epoxy can be done but if the epoxy bonds on the threads or the head of the screw it can make it difficult to remove later.
I just noticed that this was your first post Fltrrr

Welcome Newbie

JB weld rocks for this kind of fix

I have fixed fairings with this stuff and yes it works great

Swomack

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yeah what Swo said....Welcome.

·
Registered
20 Posts
do a search on a product called plastifix on u tube . I used this to repair my fairing .this is a much better product than JB weld and resists vibrations
I repaired stripped threads in the fairing and a broken tab . The repair is as strong as the original .

·
Registered
572 Posts
I fixed a stripped out screw hole in my outer fairing on my 2012 FLTRX with plastic epoxy made by Loktite. Found it at Lowes, worked really well. Once the two parts are mixed together and applied, you can feel the plastic heating up from the epoxy starting the bonding process.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts