Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode across Yosemite and Tioga Pass today. Great scenery and really fun twisties. If you're thinking of making the trip, bring some KY Jelly. It makes gassing up more tolerable. Stopped in Independence, CA for the night. Gonna be a long one because there is NOTHING to do here.

Planning to hit the road by 5am tomorrow. They say this is a mild summer and the Death Valley forecast is in the low hundreds early in the morning. I should hit Vegas in time for brunch. :)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Awesome! I crossed Death Valley last Sept, and with a weird weather fluke the high was 85. Also one of the most wicked pieces of road Ive ever been on is there. 266W off of 95 just south of Goldfield, NV turns into 168 in CA to the city of Big Pine.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Piece of Cake

Well that was easy! I hit 190 east at 6am. The temperature never topped 105. It was hottest in Stovepipe, but started cooling again as I climbed out. The views are stunning and the road was excellent. I expected a flat, straight, boring ride past tumbleweeds and rocks. The twisties were great. Bet I didn't see a dozen cars the entire route.

I shot a time lapse video from the handlebars that lasts about 3:30. I'm uploading to YouTube now. Will update when/if it completes.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Rode across Yosemite and Tioga Pass today. Great scenery and really fun twisties. If you're thinking of making the trip, bring some KY Jelly. It makes gassing up more tolerable. Stopped in Independence, CA for the night. Gonna be a long one because there is NOTHING to do here.

Planning to hit the road by 5am tomorrow. They say this is a mild summer and the Death Valley forecast is in the low hundreds early in the morning. I should hit Vegas in time for brunch. :)
Sounds like a great trip! I hate to ask but what does KY jelly have to do with gassing up?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Oh, I so envy you!

I had summers off for about 15 years and for the last 6 I have had to work. Of course that was before I had a Road Glide! Hopefully I will figure out a way to get the summers off again so I can take some rides like this.
Thanks for the great pics and updates along the way though.

David

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Cool video/time lapse! Glad to hear the trip went well.

How about some details on camera setup? Where/how did you mount it? I'd love to try that on my return ride from Juneau to Anchorage. Would have to adjust the interval, of course.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
ktmscott
very cool idea. my perception was the same as yours was prior to that video...death valley wide open flat and barren.
thanks, i enjoyed that

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool video/time lapse! Glad to hear the trip went well.

How about some details on camera setup? Where/how did you mount it? I'd love to try that on my return ride from Juneau to Anchorage. Would have to adjust the interval, of course.

Jeff
The camera is a Samsung SMX-C10. Very small; very light. Does time lapse at 1, 3, 5, 10, 15, 30 seconds or at user-selected minutes/hours. I used a 1 second interval for the Death Valley video. It also has electronic image stabilization and a 10x optical zoom. I got it new from Amazon for $108 shipped. It stores video on an SD card. I bought a Transcend 32GB SDHC card for about $80 that will store about 12 hours of video. I used a Ram mount on the right handlebar so I could adjust on the fly. I brought a laptop and a 1TB external drive to store the videos. I shot a LOT of videos in CO, WA, OR, and CA.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The camera is a Samsung SMX-C10. Very small; very light. Does time lapse at 1, 3, 5, 10, 15, 30 seconds or at user-selected minutes/hours. I used a 1 second interval for the Death Valley video. It also has electronic image stabilization and a 10x optical zoom. I got it new from Amazon for $108 shipped. It stores video on an SD card. I bought a Transcend 32GB SDHC card for about $80 that will store about 12 hours of video. I used a Ram mount on the right handlebar so I could adjust on the fly. I brought a laptop and a 1TB external drive to store the videos. I shot a LOT of videos in CO, WA, OR, and CA.
Thanks for the info! Is the camera running off it's internal battery, or did you power it off the cig lighter? Great choice of music to go with the video, BTW!

Jeff

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
The time lapse video was cool man.. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info! Is the camera running off it's internal battery, or did you power it off the cig lighter? Great choice of music to go with the video, BTW!

Jeff
I used the internal battery, and its performance isn't too impressive. The camera charges via smaller USB-like connector, with an AC adapter. I got the camera last minute and didn't have a 12VDC converter for my trip.

There's another real USB port on the side of the camera for downloading, which also charges the camera, but you can't record because it's in 'download mode'.

I have two USB charging ports in Hester's starboard glove box. I was able to charge the battery sufficiently during boring stretches of road and record the good stuff without the camera dieing on me.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Very cool video! Too bad YouTube did a lousy job rendering it! Looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts