Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Need some information. I have a 1998 RG Aniv. model. The set/resume switch is on the handle bar control and the off on switch is on the dash. If I turn the switch on, the indicator light does not come on in the speedo. So, the question is, what do I need to install to get the cruise to work. I've been told all I need is a cruise control module and all the other wiring apparently is in place from the factory. All input would be appreciated.

Thanks Rellick

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm not much on electrical but I would start simple, clean and check fuses, and any other connection. Also the switch is in the weather all the time so I would check it. I did find a site claiming to have new/old stock but I've never dealt with this site and their prices are very high at $795.00 I would invest in a throttle rocker instead, good luck.

http://www.harleycruisecontrol.com/glides.html

This site does have some good info so you can make sure your carb is factory cruise ready.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1998 is before HD had fuel injection or the need for a ECM, and after checking a OEM parts finder no such parts are listed such as a control module for cruise but they do list the on/off switch and the set/resume rocker, so it must be some type of mechanical system.

I check the same for my bike (2007) and the control module is listed, with PN and price but nothing on a 1998 model.

click on OEM parts finder

Update - Click the link above, then click on "OEM Harley Davidson Part Finder, now click "View Parts List (0 items), add qty. "1" and part number "77165-98 and click "Add Item to Parts List"

Your 98 cruise module will appear for $359.99, but you might want to call first to check availability.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Seem to recall that the light won't come on till you are moving and set the speed above 35. Module under gas tank. Harley had fuel injection for tour bikes in 1995 and up but made no difference for cruise. Check electrical as stated before. The cable that attaches to module can break. Had that happen myself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cruise Install

Hi!

Thanks to all for your input. Gives me an idea as to where to start.

Rellick

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
+1 on the mph to set...most importantly look to see if there is a secondary cable to the carb/throttle body that would be cruise cable if unit is on bike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts