Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had this same problem a while back and that cause was the accessory fuse blown. well the fuse is good but i put a new one in anyway. brake light is not stuck on so its not the foot pedal switch. open up the switch compartment and the little piece that always seems to break that sits in the slot on the brake handle is not broken. dont see a crimped or broken wire , but how would that happen if it was never messed with.
so i am stumped. when i turn on the switch on the dash it lights up red like it should, but when i engage the switch it doesnt turn green and obviously it doesnt work. the only code showing is for the cruise control fault so i am guessing its the switch ? with the fall riding season upon us and the leaves may turn color eventually :wink: i would like to have it working. if not for that, i would just wait till winter time to mess with it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Any changes in grips, bars, etc. ?

Obviously something is shorting out the accessory circuit?

Or the cruise control switch is damaged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
while sitting in the shed i also pulled clutch in light went to green. pulled brake in,light went to green. foot brake depressed, green light again.

nothing was done to it. been using it since fuse replaced sometime ago. just stopped working

·
Registered
359 Posts
while sitting in the shed i also pulled clutch in light went to green. pulled brake in,light went to green. foot brake depressed, green light again.

nothing was done to it. been using it since fuse replaced sometime ago. just stopped working

Hmm seems to be working in opposite, I’d bet on an ecm fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P0577 Code means there is an electrical fault in the cruise control circuit due to a failed switch, or abnormal voltage level in the input circuit.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2012 Custom.
I found the front brake light switch was bad so I did a quick repair and all was well for a while.
When the cruise stopped working again I used the Harley diagnostic check and found the set/resume switch was faulty.
I replaced both the front brake lamp switch and the set/resume switch and all has been well ever since.
I'll list below the Diagnostic Steps I used.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

1. Hold cruise switch in the SET position.

2. Turn the cruise ON.

3. Turn the main power switch on, the cruise light should initially come on then turn GREEN, release the cruise switch the light will turn RED.

4. Push the cruise switch to RESUME the light should turn GREEN, release the switch, the light should turn RED.

5. Roll the throttle OFF make sure you roll it off to activate the cutoff switch for the cruise, the light should turn GREEN, release the throttle
the light should turn RED.

6. Apply the front brake, the light should turn GREEN, release it, the light should turn RED.

What you have done is test each of the SWITCHES that are in the cruise system.
If, during any of the tests, the light does not turn GREEN, then that part is at fault.

·
Registered
473 Posts

Did you check if you have a gear indication in your dash? I had the cruise dumping due to a CKP crank position malfunction that was making the gear indication to disappear and so the cruise control coming off because not knowing in what gear it was.

Also a lot of dirt in the neutral switch connector was making appear the “N” light every time the CKP was working funny

·
Registered
684 Posts
while sitting in the shed i also pulled clutch in light went to green.

I'm thinking your problem is with the clutch switch there. Is the starting in gear behavior backwards as well? Switch may be misaligned.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Did you check if you have a gear indication in your dash? I had the cruise dumping due to a CKP crank position malfunction that was making the gear indication to disappear and so the cruise control coming off because not knowing in what gear it was.

Also a lot of dirt in the neutral switch connector was making appear the “N” light every time the CKP was working funny
2011 does not have gear indicator. only for 6th gear. (or neutral)

·
Registered
473 Posts
2011 does not have gear indicator. only for 6th gear. (or neutral)
Anyhow the CKP sensor sends gear position signals to the ECM, also for cruise control usage. In my case I realized it was that sensor because of the erratic gear indication, in this case I would suggest to check the sensor as per the maintenance manual

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so again i went outside and did all the diagnostic with light going from red to green an d all does. took it apart again and made sure the plunger is still there and plunges. no signs of frayed wire.
stopped at a guy that does harley customizing in the neighborhood and he said he would change out the switch assembly. so either i spend the 200.00 and try and change it and hope its the problem or take it to the stealer and fork out more money to be certain.
i have not found a video on line for the change out. anybody have a link to one ?

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
so again i went outside and did all the diagnostic with light going from red to green an d all does. took it apart again and made sure the plunger is still there and plunges. no signs of frayed wire.
stopped at a guy that does harley customizing in the neighborhood and he said he would change out the switch assembly. so either i spend the 200.00 and try and change it and hope its the problem or take it to the stealer and fork out more money to be certain.
i have not found a video on line for the change out. anybody have a link to one ?
If you have external wiring, it's a breeze If you do. (Plug & Play) If you don't,good luck! The Plug is up in the fairing. Taking the fairing off is the longest part of the job.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
finally was able to put the bike in the shop. 60.00 dollar part and 40.00 for labor and it works again.

broken wire going to the set/resume switch.:(

didn't drop the bike. didn't mess with the bars or grips. I use it all time so I guess that s what caused it :surprise:
new tires only have 200 miles on them. just bought all the oils,filters and gaskets.come on spring.!!!!!!

just downloaded some new rides to base camp to virginia , west virginia and upstate new York.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts