Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little red light comes when i flip the on switch but nothing happens when i try to use it
any ideas ?

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
CPY84 check and make sure that your brake light is not staying on.
If it is that means the cruise control won't work.
If that's what's happening check the front brake lever and the switch inside the housing.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
It's diagnosed using the onboard diagnostic mode.
Basically it checks the function of the hand switch, roll off function and the brake switches. If that doesn't locate the issue, and there are no codes, then you'll need a breakout box to run the second level diagnostic.

Many of the possible issues will also set a trouble code, so I'd prolly check the codes first.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WELL as stated the brake light is stuck on so now whats next ? i read somewhere that the brake light switch is bad and has to be replaced ?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
One bike I owned had an adjustment for the rear brake light. Check the owners manual, maybe yours does as well. (That would be no cost and quick if that's it)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
You have to figure out which brake is causing the problem. Try pushing the hand lever forward and see if that works.

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
If the brakes are sticking on, 9 out of 10 times it's the front brake light switch broken, at least on pre 15 RGs. That switch is very delicate and not cheap if you buy it from the dealership. There are ways to fix it, you can do a search on this forum, (that's how I did it a few years ago), then check eBay for a reasonably priced replacement. What year is your bike?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Hopefully it's your rear brake switch. Happened to my wife's (2007 SG). That would be an easy fix.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ok just followed the directions from the sticky.
3 codes which still doesn't tell what to fix.

p0572-brake switch low
c1094-front brake switch always on
c1214- rear brake switch always on.

so can any one tell me what to fix ? lol.

and yes the fluid is fine.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
ok just followed the directions from the sticky.
3 codes which still doesn't tell what to fix.

p0572-brake switch low
c1094-front brake switch always on
c1214- rear brake switch always on.

so can any one tell me what to fix ? lol.
Pull the wires off of the rear brake switch, brake lights should go out. Ohm out the switch with brake pushed and not pushed. If the switch is bad, it should ring out all the time. If that's not it, remove the brake lever on the front and push in the brake switch and see if the brake lights go out. One question I ask, have you worked on anything lately, the bars, under the seat, etc. ?

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Like Smarty said pull the plug on the rear brake switch if the brake light goes out then the problem is the rear brake light switch, if the brake light stays on then the problem is in the front brake light switch. If you had any work done on the right front switch housing lately then that may be where the problem is, it isn't uncommon for people to reassemble the switch housing and not get the brake light switch assembled correctly. Also there is a starter safety switch in the left switch housing, that switch will keep the bike from starting when the bike is in gear and the clutch is not pulled in, that switch will also cut off the cruise control to keep the bike from over revving if you ever pull in the clutch while the cruise is set. You can test the clutch safety switch by getting on the bike and then putting the bike in gear then hold down the brake and do not pull in the clutch then bump the starter if the starter engages the safety switch is either bad or not assembled correctly.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I had the rear switch on my 02 FLHT go out on me, which in turn disabled the cruise control. Unfortunately it happened about 500 miles from home, so I rode the entire way without cruise or even the screw down throttle lock
The diagnosis on mine was that by design, the switch was too close to the exhaust pipe and the heat eventually fried the switch.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I had the rear switch on my 02 FLHT go out on me, which in turn disabled the cruise control. Unfortunately it happened about 500 miles from home, so I rode the entire way without cruise or even the screw down throttle lock

The diagnosis on mine was that by design, the switch was too close to the exhaust pipe and the heat eventually fried the switch.

Lil Chief

On the road you can get a switch that will work at auto parts houses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
988 Posts
On the road you can get a switch that will work at auto parts houses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That particular trip we were on the last leg on a Sunday trying to get home, and on 2 laners the whole way. Unfortunately nothing was open in all the small towns we were passing through that day. It was just one of many nickel and dime problems that bike started causing me.:grin:

Lil Chief

Reactions: Smarty

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am done before I screw something up.
unhooked both wires from the rear switch. still on. took apart the brake handle and pushed in the plunger. still on.

guessing its in the handle assembly. I will talk to my local bike shop on Tuesday when he opens.rain and chilly most of this week anyway.

thanks for trying to help.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I believe both front and rear brake switches wire into a single relay and then on to the tail light. Locate this relay and check it. Maybe Its stuck on. Just a thought. Good luck!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well because I am too stupid to give up I went out there and cleared the codes and now the brake light is working properly.
as I stated I took both front and rear switches apart but I did not clear the codes earlier. maybe I was supposed to clear them so the brain could work ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem on my 2003 RG. If you look at the throttle cables as they run under the front of the tank, you'll see 2 wires plugged into a module built in line on the deceleration cable. This guy turns off the cruise when it senses deceleration unplugged the wires, taped them up and the issue was gone. I suspect that module went bad. No issues since.

·
Registered
822 Posts
well because I am too stupid to give up I went out there and cleared the codes and now the brake light is working properly.
as I stated I took both front and rear switches apart but I did not clear the codes earlier. maybe I was supposed to clear them so the brain could work ?
To err is human, to really foul thing up requires a computer.. I've been working in IT since the late 90's, and I absolutely love my old stone ax reliable Shovelhead. Because computers...I kinda hate the damn things.

Being "To stupid to give up" has always served me well in the past.:wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts