Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try these yet? The few dyno sheets I've found look pretty solid. Seems like a promising choice, somewhere between the woods 222 and 555 with better legs than the Andrews 57.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ok I'm also looking to do cams in 15 rgs.I mostly ride back roads often hot dogging it. The kury tc 24 cam is 400.00 and the andrews 57 is 240.00 I will be decking heads and larger intake valve,lifters and rods is it worth it too go with the tc24? sorry to hijack your thread.maybe we can both get some useful info.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I'm also looking to do cams in 15 rgs.I mostly ride back roads often hot dogging it. The kury tc 24 cam is 400.00 and the andrews 57 is 240.00 I will be decking heads and larger intake valve,lifters and rods is it worth it too go with the tc24? sorry to hijack your thread.maybe we can both get some useful info.
No worries, I am gathering info to formulate my plans for next winter. The TC-24d is on my list of cams to gather info about. I'm not looking to have the heads off or raise my compression. I regularly ride in summer temps of 100-105 and don't want the potential issues of higher compression on an air cooled engine.

Also on the list of possible can choices is the Genesis 577 from GMR, the Dragos 580 from Frank, and maybe the Andrews 57H. Cost of the cams isn't really a concern for me, I'd rather have the best running machine for my needs and a hindered or two doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. Another concern for me is the lack of competent tuners in my area. I need to be able to get a solid base map and auto tune with the PV to stay on the road until I can source a proper tune. SE Washington isn't flush with good dyno guys.

The thing for me is that I use the whole rpm range, I regularly run her up to 5k and also ride down in the 2-3k range in town. I don't drive a cage unless I absolutely have to. I want a cam that isn't a huge trade off in either area.

·
Registered
852 Posts
No worries, I am gathering info to formulate my plans for next winter. The TC-24d is on my list of cams to gather info about. I'm not looking to have the heads off or raise my compression. I regularly ride in summer temps of 100-105 and don't want the potential issues of higher compression on an air cooled engine.

Also on the list of possible can choices is the Genesis 577 from GMR, the Dragos 580 from Frank, and maybe the Andrews 57H. Cost of the cams isn't really a concern for me, I'd rather have the best running machine for my needs and a hindered or two doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. Another concern for me is the lack of competent tuners in my area. I need to be able to get a solid base map and auto tune with the PV to stay on the road until I can source a proper tune. SE Washington isn't flush with good dyno guys.

The thing for me is that I use the whole rpm range, I regularly run her up to 5k and also ride down in the 2-3k range in town. I don't drive a cage unless I absolutely have to. I want a cam that isn't a huge trade off in either area.
Guys,
The TC-24 will not make as much low end TQ as the GMR 577 or the Dragos 580. It will make slightly better mid-range and better top end than those cams in a stock motor.

IMO for the riding styles your talking about I think the Dragos 580 has a broader and flatter TQ curve and would have better throttle response than the TC-24 or the GMR 577. I have ridden all 3 cams in stock 103 baggers

The bonus with the Dragos cams is that Frank will build and send you a Power Vision tune for your bike with his cams and your exhaust that will work just fine. nothing is as good as a dyno tune...but Frank can get close.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have ridden stock 103 baggers with all three? Could you compare and contrast the overall mannerisms of each? Valve train noise and heat production are also concerns from me, as well as the ability to handle less than stellar gas in the parts I ride. Sounds like you are the guy to talk to on this one.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You have ridden stock 103 baggers with all three? Could you compare and contrast the overall mannerisms of each? Valve train noise and heat production are also concerns from me, as well as the ability to handle less than stellar gas in the parts I ride. Sounds like you are the guy to talk to on this one.
My 2013 RGC "The Reaper" with Dragos Dragula exhaust and TC-24 cams with bobby Woods lifters and HD SE adjustable push rods. An absolute beast from 3000 RPM up (would smoke a stock CVO in a all out race). Would lug a little while riding two up in the lower RPM ranges. A little quieter than stock HD but not by a lot. Tuned by Ed at the Dyno Difference

My Nephew's 2012 SG "Beast" with D&D 2-1 exhaust Dragos 580 cams, S&S lifters and push rods. Great roll on the throttle response and did not lug at all riding two up. (It would not out run the Reaper in a all out race but it was not that far back there) quite a bit quieter than a stock HD. Tuned by Ed at the Dyno Difference

My buddy Mike's 2013 RK with Vance and Hines Power duals, GMR 577 cams and lifter and push rods. This cam did not seem to have the low end grunt of the Dragos 580 or quite the upper end TQ Pull of the TC-24's. But saying that, this was still a really fun bike to ride. I really don't remember about the noise. Tuned by Steve at GMR

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these cams.

The TC-24 will really come alive with more compression and head work. If you plan on doing this, that's the direction I would go.

If your not going to any other mods, I would go with the Dragos 580 or GMR 577

·
Registered
590 Posts
R_einan:this thread is going to get good!would be nice if Frank could give his opinion,I have seen in the past that he has worked with all these cams.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 2013 RGC "The Reaper" with Dragos Dragula exhaust and TC-24 cams with bobby Woods lifters and HD SE adjustable push rods. An absolute beast from 3000 RPM up (would smoke a stock CVO in a all out race). Would lug a little while riding two up in the lower RPM ranges. A little quieter than stock HD but not by a lot. Tuned by Ed at the Dyno Difference

My Nephew's 2012 SG "Beast" with D&D 2-1 exhaust Dragos 580 cams, S&S lifters and push rods. Great roll on the throttle response and did not lug at all riding two up. (It would not out run the Reaper in a all out race but it was not that far back there) quite a bit quieter than a stock HD. Tuned by Ed at the Dyno Difference

My buddy Mike's 2013 RK with Vance and Hines Power duals, GMR 577 cams and lifter and push rods. This cam did not seem to have the low end grunt of the Dragos 580 or quite the upper end TQ Pull of the TC-24's. But saying that, this was still a really fun bike to ride. I really don't remember about the noise. Tuned by Steve at GMR

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these cams.

The TC-24 will really come alive with more compression and head work. If you plan on doing this, that's the direction I would go.

If your not going to any other mods, I would go with the Dragos 580 or GMR 577
From your impressions, I am inclined to agree with your opinion. It seems like the 580 is better suited to my riding and needs than the 24D. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, it is very helpful.

I run fuelmoto 2-1-2 stainless head pipes with 3.5" bassanis out back. I wonder how the different pipe (compared to a 2-1) would effect the down low characteristics on these cams. Also, I'm on a '15 RG, and IIRC the compression is slightly higher than the '13 and down.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
R_einan:this thread is going to get good!would be nice if Frank could give his opinion,I have seen in the past that he has worked with all these cams.
Thanks, I certainly hope he chimes in here. His opinion would be most helpful.

Scott from hillside said 10.4 was the happy place for the TC-24D, which is higher than I would prefer to run. Considering my limited tuning access.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The intake closing number of that 24D cam dictates that wants 10.4to optimize it's ability. They work well.
If wanting a low-mid cam with broad torque at the 10.0 cr level the Cyclerama .575 or Wood 5-6 will work VERY well.
Andrews 57 is on the 10.0 list.
Not google search info, or something my cousin's, stepbrother's friend, heard at the tavern.
Scott

·
Registered
852 Posts
From your impressions, I am inclined to agree with your opinion. It seems like the 580 is better suited to my riding and needs than the 24D. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, it is very helpful.

I run fuelmoto 2-1-2 stainless head pipes with 3.5" bassanis out back. I wonder how the different pipe (compared to a 2-1) would effect the down low characteristics on these cams. Also, I'm on a '15 RG, and IIRC the compression is slightly higher than the '13 and down.
I would call Frank @ Dragos and talk with him, one of the nicest, knowledgeable and helpful people I have ever dealt with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
found this on a Forum..
Quote.

I have owned a 2007, 08, 09 & now a 2010LTD (all Ultras) & I tried various cams (26s,54s,37s,557s,570s,55s,) headwork & pipes. Of all the cams, the 26s were the friendliest with the 54s doing a pretty good job but needed headwork & Increased compression. After spending lots of $$$ & searching for the perfect built, I am there. My research after talking to Mike Stegman (Latus HD) concerning the stroker motors, taller gearing with the six speeds, I ended with up some good answers. He said the perfect cam for the heavy 07 & up touring bike would be a high lift, short duration cam. Some like the SE255s but I think it still causes the motor to run a little to hot. Mike agreed. Mike said to look for a cam kinda like the 26s but hi lift. I also wanted a bolt in for my 2010 LTD with the 103.I did not want to build the engine, no increased comp, no headwork, no bottom end worries.............Found it!!!!! Wes Brown at Cycle-Rama has designed a cam for my bike. It should also work well in a 96.The specs are
as follows:.575 lift(intake) .560 lift(exhaust) 15/35 (in) 49/7 (ex) 230-236 duration 100-111 105.5 LSA
I have not had it tuned yet. I will tell you with only a K&N,D&D Boss & a canned map from my TTS that, It pulls harder down low & lower than any previous build.My 09/103 with R&R cnc heads, Supertrapp 2:1,cp pistons did run very well. But it did not have the off idle power this bike has.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hmmm, might have to consider running a season with cams only then doing a .030 head gasket set and possibly having the heads ported and the cc's matched the following off season. I want to maintain the rideabaility and realiability, but perhaps a small compression bump wouldn't detract from those goals.

I am not terribly unhappy with the off idle characteristics of the stage 1 I'm at now. If anything, a little smoother would be nice. I ride 10-11 months out of the year, and being a mild mannered under 2k doesn't bother me. I don't stop light race or come off the line hard.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The intake closing number of that 24D cam dictates that wants 10.4to optimize it's ability. They work well.
If wanting a low-mid cam with broad torque at the 10.0 cr level the Cyclerama .575 or Wood 5-6 will work VERY well.
Andrews 57 is on the 10.0 list.
Not google search info, or something my cousin's, stepbrother's friend, heard at the tavern.
Scott
We call them Honky-Tonks or Ice houses down here, come on down son. Lots of good lessons in life are learned before closing time

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Woah there gentlemen, lets keep this constructive please. Sloride has first hand experience and his input is welcome. Scott has a wealth of technical knowledge and his input is valuable and helpful to those of us striving to learn, thank you both for taking the time to share, I certainly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Dragos 580 cams
New Dragula 2 exhaust
Stock 103

Attachments

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Reports with a Cyclerama .575 with our heads on a 110" drop-on at 10.0 cr can be viewed on HDF.

113 plus hp......................131 ft/lbs sae, tuned at Rossiters HD, Fla.
116 plus hp.....................135 ft/lbs std.
10.0 cr !!
Examples. :)
Scott

1 - 20 of 31 Posts