Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who are you north texas guys using to set up your custom sound systems?
I purchased all my speakers 8 JL audio M650 (marine speakers) two 5x7's for dash and tweeters. Only 6 of the Jl audio's will be going in the bike. 2 in each side bag and 2 in the dash glove boxes. The other 2 jl's i'm adding to my boat swim deck. I went with the JL's because i have them on my boat and they sound great. No distortion at high volumes. Plus i know how much of a beating they can take dirt/water ect. I also got 2 JL xd400/4 amps. With the kenwood deck.

I bought all the equipment from Earmark but the tech said they dont do many bikes. Mostly cars/boats/rvs. But he was up to try it....lol i'll pass

Just curious who everyone local is using. Want someone who after they install can be trusted to put everything back together correctly.

THanks in advance.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I own "No Cage Audio" and I am based in Dallas. All I do is MC's

I am working in Upper NY state for a month doing some custom work for a "Confidential Client"

If you can wait till I get back, I will take care of it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was looking to get it done in the next few days or drop bike off in next few days.

Any others you guys are using or you would recommend while your gone?

·
Registered
264 Posts
was looking to get it done in the next few days or drop bike off in next few days.

First off...unless you have super deep pockets, take the JL speakers back. If you're gonna spend that type of money, you should just go with Biketronics, J&M, Hawg Wired, etc. They all offer waterproof systems that sound great and are all plug and play that you can do yourself. Currently, I have a J&M Rokker 500w amp and their Rokker fairing speakers. Picked all of it up for a great deal. If it were me and my money, there are a couple of ways I would go...

First option...

1. JL Audio XD400/4 ($250 shipped)
2. One or two pair (depending on how much bass you want) of Pioneer TS-D6902R 6x9s in the bags ($70-80 a pair).
3. 1 pair Infinity Kappa 62.11i 6.5s for the fairing ($109 a pair).
4. J&M Corp Tweeters that replace two guages ($120 pair).

That comes to about $625 for equipment (if you do two pair of Pioneers). Add another $300 to $400 for labor at your local shop and that comes to about $1000.

If the system absolutely must be waterproof, then this is what I would do...

1. Same amp as above (it will be in the fairing so moisture is not an issue. Heat is the biggest enemy of amps and this one seems to be the best for the price).
2. One or two pair of Polk Audio MM691 6x9s for the saddle bags ($150 a pair).
3. One pair of Polk Audio MM651 6.5s for the fairing ($150).
4. Same tweeters as above.

This system will give you everything you are looking for for about $650 to $800 (if you go with two pair of 6x9s) for equipment plus about $300-400 for labor at your local stereo shop.

Either way, you will come out WAY cheaper and with a better system than what you originally planned on doing. I did a little bit of both mentioned above to go along with the Rokker amp that I already have. Choice is yours.

·
Registered
672 Posts
First off...unless you have super deep pockets, take the JL speakers back. If you're gonna spend that type of money, you should just go with Biketronics, J&M, Hawg Wired, etc. They all offer waterproof systems that sound great and are all plug and play that you can do yourself. Currently, I have a J&M Rokker 500w amp and their Rokker fairing speakers. Picked all of it up for a great deal. If it were me and my money, there are a couple of ways I would go...

First option...

1. JL Audio XD400/4 ($250 shipped)
2. One or two pair (depending on how much bass you want) of Pioneer TS-D6902R 6x9s in the bags ($70-80 a pair).
3. 1 pair Infinity Kappa 62.11i 6.5s for the fairing ($109 a pair).
4. J&M Corp Tweeters that replace two guages ($120 pair).

That comes to about $625 for equipment (if you do two pair of Pioneers). Add another $300 to $400 for labor at your local shop and that comes to about $1000.

If the system absolutely must be waterproof, then this is what I would do...

1. Same amp as above (it will be in the fairing so moisture is not an issue. Heat is the biggest enemy of amps and this one seems to be the best for the price).
2. One or two pair of Polk Audio MM691 6x9s for the saddle bags ($150 a pair).
3. One pair of Polk Audio MM651 6.5s for the fairing ($150).
4. Same tweeters as above.

This system will give you everything you are looking for for about $650 to $800 (if you go with two pair of 6x9s) for equipment plus about $300-400 for labor at your local stereo shop.

Either way, you will come out WAY cheaper and with a better system than what you originally planned on doing. I did a little bit of both mentioned above to go along with the Rokker amp that I already have. Choice is yours.

Are you nuts?? The setup he has will blow the J&M crap out of the water with ease. And its WAY better quality.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Are you nuts?? The setup he has will blow the J&M crap out of the water with ease. And its WAY better quality.
I have had the J&M Rokker "Crap" for over 3 years and 15k miles with no problems. Rain, Sub zero temps, Georgia heat, etc and not one single issue. I'm assuming that because you made that comment that you have had a terrible experience with J&M products. And we still have not seen your recommendation or experience or what you have for stereo equipment as it relate's to the OP's original question, so by all means....Please explain....

·
Registered
156 Posts
EShaw301 has some excellent options in his post. I've ran both the systems he mentioned and both are insane! However, I've also heard the JL system on a few bikes and it's definately "Next Level" compared to the rest. But as he said. . . .It requires DEEP pockets and the JL's are not water resistant unless you buy the Marine version and I have not seen or heard those on a bike.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have had the J&M Rokker "Crap" for over 3 years and 15k miles with no problems. Rain, Sub zero temps, Georgia heat, etc and not one single issue. I'm assuming that because you made that comment that you have had a terrible experience with J&M products. And we still have not seen your recommendation or experience or what you have for stereo equipment as it relate's to the OP's original question, so by all means....Please explain....
Ive never used J&M and refuse to pay their prices. I have however heard their systems in person at J&Ps open house (Ananosa is 30 miles from my house) and am less than impressed with their performance and sound. Im running Infinity and Soundstream products myself but know from my years in the car audio industry that JL audio is one of the top performers in the industry.

The OP clearly states he purchased the marine rated JL products so theres no worry with rain/moisture/heat/etc. and they will outperform the J&M with ease.

My main reason for posting originally is the insult of him being reccomended to return his equipment and "downgrade" to J&M. Not to start forum wars by any means but thats my opinion.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Not really for your install, Most of the Custom shops can do basic amp-speaker installs. Yours is a little more involved.

You might try GMR performance in Ft Worth. Steve knows what he is doing

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol... whats deep pockets now a days? I've never been the one to keep up with the jones's i just like what i like. I like the warranty of JL audio. I also have the same speakers in my boat and i love the sound. I also seen the abuse they take with my kids climbing in and out of the boat and water and sand getting on them. Also the Jl's are just low and mid's. I don't like the 3 way speakers i try and keep the highes 100% seperate from the low's and mids.

I also personally thought the sound of the jl audio 6.5 marine speaker was more clear and better sounding than the 6x9 of the focal and the hertz. I was able to listen to them side by side. Before you guys go nuts thats just my 2cents. I'm no music expert i own a insurance company. Just going strickly by what my ear heard. I'm sure everyone's ear hears something different. Also the fact that i get a discount on JL audio through my company played a big part in my decision. I got all those items for just under $1,100. I bought the kenwood deck speerate.

I reached out to a few of the Local HD m/c's and found out the shops they are using. Some of these guys have 3,000-10,000 worth of video and music equipment on their bikes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have another question for you music experts on here. Are the stock bags big enough for (2) 7.7 speakers in the bags. I mean is there enough air space?
If would there be enough space for (1) 7.7 and (1) 6.5 in each bag. I have seen the lid for the 6x9's and the 7 and 8's. But i havent seen anyone with speakers that big in the bottom of the bags. I personally like the look where you can't see the speakers. So i choose to have mine in the bags rather then on the lid.

If so i can pay $25 difference and up grade a few of the 6.5 pars to 7.7's.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ive never used J&M and refuse to pay their prices. I have however heard their systems in person at J&Ps open house (Ananosa is 30 miles from my house) and am less than impressed with their performance and sound. Im running Infinity and Soundstream products myself but know from my years in the car audio industry that JL audio is one of the top performers in the industry.

The OP clearly states he purchased the marine rated JL products so theres no worry with rain/moisture/heat/etc. and they will outperform the J&M with ease.

My main reason for posting originally is the insult of him being reccomended to return his equipment and "downgrade" to J&M. Not to start forum wars by any means but thats my opinion.
Well, I didnt tell him to return his equipment and go with the J&M. I just made the point that if he was going to spend that type of money on the JL marine stuff, then have to spend more time and money wiring it all up, then he would be better off financially and time wise to get one of the plug and play kits like J&M, Biketronics, etc.

Now, I only made mention to what I am doing. In no way did I say that what I am doing is better, or worse for that matter. I just was letting him know that he doesnt have to go so deep into his pockets to get a quality system. I also made a recommendation for him to go with the Polk audio system because they are marine rated and have had excellent results on Harleys in general. He asked what we are running, so I told him. Even if he decided to scrap his stuff and go with a Pyle system, I still wouldnt trash Pyle because that's his choice and he may know something that we dont.

Now, in regards to J&M, they have a great product and great service and I am more than happy with it. However, I wouldn't have the J&M speakers and amp if I was not able to get it at a great price from someone who had it on their bike one time for a bike show. But, that goes for any of the "motorcycle specific" stuff. In my opinion, the stuff is great, just too damn expensive.

Hopefully you read my entire post and saw that I recommended that he go with a JL audio amp (XD400/4 to be exact). The only J&M product I recommended was their tweeters because they are waterproof and sound phenomenal.

My entire point, again, was to let the OP know that just because he wants marine grade that sounds great, JL is not the only option. Yes, he did hear it and is basing his choice off of his experience, which is awesome, but I do believe that he would be much happier if he got SIMILAR performance for half the price. I mean lets be real, its not like he is building a show bike and needs the best of the best. ANYTHING is going to sound better than the stock harley CRAP (i'm calling it what it is). And even Harley's updated boom crap is not worth the money. So, hopefully we got this all cleared up and can get back to setting up the OP with an excellent system for a great price.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Also the Jl's are just low and mid's. I don't like the 3 way speakers i try and keep the highes 100% seperate from the low's and mids...
That is why I recommended the Pioneer 6x9 speakers for your bags. They are 2 way lows and mids and their bass response works PERFECTLY in our bags. And here is another bit of advice from me. You may already know this but I figured I might as well throw it out there...follow the rest of the guys to see what works on the bikes. It's easier to learn from everyone else's mistakes than to go at it with your own formula and still doing what has been proven to work anyways. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i have another question for you music experts on here. Are the stock bags big enough for (2) 7.7 speakers in the bags. I mean is there enough air space?
If would there be enough space for (1) 7.7 and (1) 6.5 in each bag. I have seen the lid for the 6x9's and the 7 and 8's. But i havent seen anyone with speakers that big in the bottom of the bags. I personally like the look where you can't see the speakers. So i choose to have mine in the bags rather then on the lid.

Thanks guys
If the 7.7 speakers are dedicated woofers/subwoofers, they will sound like sh*t paired together in your bags. The dual 6x9 setup tends to work best from my experience. Even one 7.7 or even 8" dedicated woofer/subwoofer will sound like crap with the bag space that is available on our bikes.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Thanks guys
If I were you I would stay away from the 7.7 speakers in the bags. I have heard quite a few JL setups and the two that sounded the best were these:

1. 4 C5-650x up front sound stage - 4 ZR650-Csi 6.5's in the bags
2. 4 C5-650x up front sound stage - 4 C5-570x in the bags. (two in each bag)

Both were ran off two JL400/4 amps. Best I've ever heard. The 7.7 would be an experiment. I don't know. . . it just might work but it will take more fabrication than necessary. My .02

·
Registered
264 Posts
If I were you I would stay away from the 7.7 speakers in the bags. I have heard quite a few JL setups and the two that sounded the best were these:

1. 4 C5-650x up front sound stage - 4 ZR650-Csi 6.5's in the bags
2. 4 C5-650x up front sound stage - 4 C5-570x in the bags. (two in each bag)

Both were ran off two JL400/4 amps. Best I've ever heard. The 7.7 would be an experiment. I don't know. . . it just might work but it will take more fabrication than necessary. My .02
Are you familiar with how they ran the amps? I'm trying to figure out now. I have been told by a few sources that the Harley charging system wouldnt support two 4 channel amps. Im stumped!

·
Registered
672 Posts
You CAN run multiple amps whether 2 or 4 channel on the stock harley charging system. They probably had each amp running 2.ohms per channel an a set of speakers per channel.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Are you familiar with how they ran the amps? I'm trying to figure out now. I have been told by a few sources that the Harley charging system wouldnt support two 4 channel amps. Im stumped!
If the HD charging system won't support 2 4 channel amps.......shhhhh don't say that around my bike.....I have 4 2 channel amps.....my bike might do the math and get mad at me...:D Seriously, I have 4 Hawgwired amps in my fairing, no problems since last year this time about 10k miles. The one thing I do know is that a Lithium battery won't hold up if you try to play the system for more than 20 minutes with the bike off..... :eek:

·
Registered
156 Posts
You CAN run multiple amps whether 2 or 4 channel on the stock harley charging system. They probably had each amp running 2.ohms per channel an a set of speakers per channel.
Venomized is correct. . . .I've known guys to have 3 amps on a Harley charging system. 2 4 channels and a 2 channel for subs. As long as the bike is 2007 and newer it should not be a problem. Harley had some stator issues 2006 back. They fixed the issue in 07. If I remember correctly they went from a 2 piece to a one piece stator.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts