Road Glide banner

Custom Dynamics Dynamic LED Vent Trim

7K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  jackd 
#1 ·
It figures that Custom Dynamics waited until Sturgis to release these lights, after I'd already added the Ciro3D Fang lights to my "new to me" 2017 Road Glide Ultra (which I got 5JUL19). Of course, I was irritated by the blue tint of the Ciro3D lights as compared to the headlight and the Custom Dynamics ProBeam turn signal inserts and LED Windshield Trim that I'd added. So since I could finally fix that "problem", I ordered the Dynamic LED Vent Inserts as soon as I saw them on their site.

Installation is as simple as removing the outer fairing/vent/windshield, removing the Ciro headlight trim pieces and metal vent screens I had been running (if you don't have these, then you'd be removing the stock trim parts), and bolting the CD parts in their place. Be aware though- the wiring harness for the Vent Trim is identical to the Windshield Trim harness (there's an inline module on each; I guess it controls the 'switchback' function?), so connecting the two identical harnesses to the bike can be confusing if you're not paying attention. I think the final configuration was "Vent Inserts connected to the Windshield Trim, then the Windshield Trim connected to the bike". My first connection of all the plugs resulted in a misfire: the vent trim lit up both white and amber, and didn't flash properly. I changed the order of the connections on the left side (the only one I "messed up") and that fixed it. Sorry; I have no pics of the parts prior to install, nor any of the connections.

The "vent" portion is molded into the plastic frame of the headlight trim pieces: the lights themselves would be identical to the Ciro parts except for the vent grill being integrated and the lack of a "lens" that the Ciro parts have. The vent grill doesn't FULLY cover the opening- you can see a gap around the perimeter from inside the fairing, but looking at the front, it fills in the gap well. Looking at the front of the bike, you can't tell the grill isn't completely covering the vent opening. Pics are included to try to show this.

Overall, I like them a lot. Now the headlight trim lights match the rest of the front lighting perfectly. My only complaint would be that the instruction sheet's pictures are far too dark- though if you've ever taken the outer fairing off, most of the instructions wouldn't be necessary. It's a very simple installation, and the finished product looks great.

Anyone want to buy a set of lightly used (approx. 1 month) Ciro3D FANG LED headlight trim (black)!?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Here are a few more pics (5 is the limit):

The first pic is in full amber flash (windshield trim, vent trim and turn signals are all CD parts in this pic), the second is the initial look at the Vent Trim installed (no outer fairing), the third pic is what the trim looks like on the bike from a front-angle, and is a comparison to the fourth pic, which shows roughly the same angle but the Ciro3D trim. The last pic is the Ciro3D trim lit up: note the bluish tint compared to the windshield trim and turn signal inserts.

Attachments

#8 ·
If Ciro's LEDs were the same color temp as the Custom Dynamics stuff, I'd have kept them on the bike...but that blue tint bugged me!

BOTH parts are nice and add light to the nose: and both are quality parts. But I'm OCD about some things...and the lighting all 'matching' is one of those things!

Reactions: RFG7680
#9 ·
my two pennies... Like the CD ones better. Thanks for the review and pics.

#10 ·
I just saw these installed on a customer bike today, and personally I like them better than the Ciro ones. Didn't think i was gonna care for them at all, but they actually look really nice. Might get some myself eventually.

#11 ·
And just when I thought I was done buying things for the year. Actually only since June when I got it. Those are really sharp looking. I like how it closes in the opening and ads the screen. Looking at their web site the fairing lights are the same price too. Thought they would be cheaper than that. This slope is slippery than I expected! My first upgrade was to get their front and rear signal led's. Kinda of hard to stop now.

#13 ·
I know the last post was over a year ago. I've been doing some searches to find a solution to a problem I'm having with the CD vent trim lights I installed yesterday. Install was easy as has been reported and the lights look great, however I now have static in my radio. I have the HD hidden antenna and boom audio amp, either of which could be a problem according to the helpful folks at Custom Dynamics. Has anyone using the vent lights experienced the same problem and if so what was the solution? Thanks in advance for any help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.