Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my 2015 RGS, I had to replace the left rear 1157 incandescent bulb twice in less than two years. As a frame of reference, I still have the original 1157s in my 1998 Dodge pickup.
Not only that, I never thought they were bright enough.

To me, this is a safety issue. So on recommendation of the good folks here, I pulled the trigger on a full set of Custom Dynamics front and rear LED clusters along with four clear lens to fit the bullet turn signals on my 2017 RGS.

The front - Dynamic Ringz Bullet LED Turn Signals, Gen 200-AW-1157. These things act as bright white LED running lights when the turn signals or four way flashers are off and the ignition is on. They put out a surprising amount of light and go to amber when the turn signal or flashers are switched on. You have to use the clear or smoked lens with these to get the white running light.

The rear - Genesis Bullet LED Turn Signals, Red 1157. These are red while running and then get brighter with the brake/turn signal/ and flasher.

Installation was basically plug and play. There is no load resistor required on '14 up models; you only need to run the four way flashers about five minutes to allow the CanBus system to compensate for the decreased current load.
Then everything works as it should.

These things are much brighter than stock, in any function, and the bright white running lights up front compliment the Daymaker LED headlight well. The bike is much more conspicuous with these installed. I also like the looks of the clear lens, front and back.

The folks at Custom Dynamics were very good to deal with as well.

I highly recommend this modification. These expensive bikes should come stock like this, but I guess Harley has to save a dime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good post. Did the same install, front and rear, on my 2016 RGS with the same results. I can also recommend the LED Tribar and the Magic Strobe. Both great additions. Did you reset the four diagnostic codes that are thrown upon installation? Erin at CD can e-mail you the PDF, or I can if you don't already have it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can't wait to get mine, currently held in customs in the UK. I went with GEN 200 AW 1157 for the front, but first I had to change my turn signals to USA spec with the running light, and the rear I have the new run/red brake/red turn/amber 1156. Looking forward to see how the front works!!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I did similar, but with smoked lenses and added a flasher, tri-bar light, and plasma rods from Custom Dynamics. Conspicuity is key. Good move and write-up, jcarruth.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good post. Did the same install, front and rear, on my 2016 RGS with the same results. I can also recommend the LED Tribar and the Magic Strobe. Both great additions. Did you reset the four diagnostic codes that are thrown upon installation? Erin at CD can e-mail you the PDF, or I can if you don't already have it.
Thanks! I did not see any codes pop up anywhere. The folks at CD did not mention this to me and said just do the flasher thing on a '14+ and all will be good.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I did the exact same setup on my 2015 RGS and can't how much better I feel about BEING SEEN from front and rear so much better than with the stock setup.. The best part is they don't cost an arm and a leg and come with a helleva warranty.
CD's customer service is the best too, no question goes unanswered.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I am about to pull the trigger on the same kind of set up for my 06. Looking at getting the Dynamic ringz in the front and Red/Amber dynamic clusters in the back. Just wondering if I should also convert my tail light to LED while I am at it. Also going to pick up some Magic flex 2 strips to accent the motor I think. I will most likely need a module for my bike but another check or two in the bike account and I should be calling them up to place an order.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You will not see any codes, nor do they pose a problem. The codes appear in the odometer window when called up. The main reason for deleting them is so that a tech looking for codes will not have to deal with codes that are not detrimental to the operation of equipment. Although not technically required, see the procedure below to reset those codes associated with Custom Dynamics equipment only. Enjoy your new lights and the visibility they provide.

Procedure
1. To enter diagnostic mode, press and hold the trip odometer reset switch located on the left handlebar control, while turning the IGN ON.
2. Release the trip odometer reset switch when “DIAG” appears on the ODOMETER DISPLAY.
3. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch until “BCM” is displayed on the odometer display. “BCM Y” = Yes DTC set. “BCM N” = No DTC set.
4. If “BCM Y” is displayed, press and hold the trip odometer reset switch.
5. If any DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) are stored in the module, the odometer will display the DTC. Quickly pressing and releasing the trip odometer reset switch will cycle through the stored DTCs.
6. When all the DTCs have been cycled the odometer will display “END”. Continue to quickly press and release the trip odometer reset switch to cycle through the DTCs again.
7. To clear the DTCs listed above, press and hold the odometer reset switch while the DTC is displayed until “CLEAR” appears on odometer display.
8. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch again to continue to the next module. Repeat for any other code listed above.
9. Turn the IGN OFF to exit the diagnostic mode. Wait for any security lights to flash and repeat the procedure to ensure that the DTCs have been cleared.

Here are the only codes that you will be clearing.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

B2141 Left front turn signal output open
B2146 Right front turn signal output open
B2151 Left rear turn signal output open
B2156 Right rear turn signal output open

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will not see any codes, nor do they pose a problem. The codes appear in the odometer window when called up. The main reason for deleting them is so that a tech looking for codes will not have to deal with codes that are not detrimental to the operation of equipment. Although not technically required, see the procedure below to reset those codes associated with Custom Dynamics equipment only. Enjoy your new lights and the visibility they provide.

Procedure
1. To enter diagnostic mode, press and hold the trip odometer reset switch located on the left handlebar control, while turning the IGN ON.
2. Release the trip odometer reset switch when “DIAG” appears on the ODOMETER DISPLAY.
3. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch until “BCM” is displayed on the odometer display. “BCM Y” = Yes DTC set. “BCM N” = No DTC set.
4. If “BCM Y” is displayed, press and hold the trip odometer reset switch.
5. If any DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) are stored in the module, the odometer will display the DTC. Quickly pressing and releasing the trip odometer reset switch will cycle through the stored DTCs.
6. When all the DTCs have been cycled the odometer will display “END”. Continue to quickly press and release the trip odometer reset switch to cycle through the DTCs again.
7. To clear the DTCs listed above, press and hold the odometer reset switch while the DTC is displayed until “CLEAR” appears on odometer display.
8. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch again to continue to the next module. Repeat for any other code listed above.
9. Turn the IGN OFF to exit the diagnostic mode. Wait for any security lights to flash and repeat the procedure to ensure that the DTCs have been cleared.

Here are the only codes that you will be clearing.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

B2141 Left front turn signal output open
B2146 Right front turn signal output open
B2151 Left rear turn signal output open
B2156 Right rear turn signal output open
Thanks! I called CD right after I read your original comment yesterday and they sent me a .pdf explaining how to do this. They said the codes probably would not be there, and if the installation was successful, the flashers would be at a normal pace, not fast. The flashers were normal, but the four codes above were there, just like you say. After I cleared the first one, the other three disappeared on their own.

·
Registered
348 Posts
As others have stated I too have done nearly the same upgrade. Couldn't be happier! The dynamics rings are great and add that extra frontend lighting for safety and they look sharp. To the earlier poster questioning about changing out the OE taillight my answer is yes! I presently have the BadAss taillight but had the CD unit before. Both are great units that are much brighter than the originals. They also have the added options to change the strob effects for increased visibility.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yes, upgrade the center tail light as well. I put the Kuryakyn Panacea on the fatboy with the brake strobe. Made a world of difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts