Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered the Custom Dynamics turn signal package for my 2012 RGC. Though I would share some photo's of the install. This is pretty effortless, something anyone should be able to accomplish. Probably took me a couple of hours (first time + taking photos). I did use a J&S lift to make it a little easier on the back.

First ordered components from Custom Dynamics - Karen was very helpful on the phone. We talked thru what I wanted and she confirmed the correct parts for my application. I ordered the package, where you can select the specific items.

I purchased the HD LED turn signal kit (GEN200-KIT-1157). You have several options to select within the kit. I selected:

Pair of amber / white front turn signal LED's
Pair of red rear turn signal LED's
A slim line load equalizer
A magic brake strobe
4 smoked lenses

When you select the package, you are prompted to make the individual selections and get some minimal discount on some items when adding them to the package. I think the kit was about $280 with the upgrades. Shipping was free.

The package:

DSC_1451.jpg

First remove the rear lens caps and bulbs. Then insert the LED's (making sure to use a dab of dielectric grease).

DSC_1458.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next place the unit(s) into the bullet housing and fit the lens.

DSC_1460.jpg

And hear they are on:

DSC_1463.jpg

Repeat with the front turn signals...........

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Front installed - note the signals operate as white running lights (a white ring of LED's on the outside) with a cluster of amber in the center. The signals flash at a high rate of speed without a load equalizer.

Note the color of the white LED's is pretty close to my HID's - or at least closer than with the stock bulbs

DSC_1474.jpg

DSC_1477.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The load equalizer and the Brake Strobe look intimidating, but are simply daisy chained between the connection to the rear lights. The connection is down in there, so you have to dig for it. Once located you attach the load equalizer 1st, and the brake strobe 2nd. You do have to connect the load equalizer to the battery via a fused connection. Clean up your wires and secure the modules (I used industrial strength velcro and wire ties). I used the default brake strobe - three flashes and then solid on. And you are done. Everything is plug and play. And man are these bright.

DSC_1484.jpg

DSC_1486.jpg

Next up will be installation of red custom dynamics plasma rods in a run / brake / turn mode...........

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Dang- I wish I'd have known you had them when we met for lunch......I'd have paid more attention.............Definatly on my "want's " List.................

·
Registered
218 Posts
Did my bike a few weeks back, almost the same.. Custom Dynamics is great to work with, I had a problem with a load equalizer and they went the extra mile to make it right. Shipped out a replacement equalizer, at not cost to replace the bad one. Great service and a hell of a product.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for this post, great job on showing how its done. This is on my "want" list of things and knowing now its not that bad to install moves it up the list!

·
Registered
124 Posts
good write up...been wondering about them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone wired in the clusters with the amber for the turns? The dual intensity red LEDs work on the new tail light nice and easy, plug and play. I am trying to find out how to incorporate the clusters with the red for run and brake and the amber for turns. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not seen anyone with the red / amber led's on the rear.

I did finally get the plasma rods installed and had them set up as run / brake / turn. Really lights up the rear.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nice write up, installed these a couple years ago. I rally like the white LED running lights on the front, do not remember that option when I ordered mine. Gonna have to look into getting those. Also like the flashing rear brake light, got that on my to do list too...

MyPhault
"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window"

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Have you checked to make sure your rods are run/brake/turn because according to custom dynamics with all the parts that they want you to get its not possible to make them do all 3 things only 2. You get to choose brake or turn. The run is already done. I'd like to see how they did it on your scoot.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Have you checked to make sure your rods are run/brake/turn because according to custom dynamics with all the parts that they want you to get its not possible to make them do all 3 things only 2. You get to choose brake or turn. The run is already done. I'd like to see how they did it on your scoot.
They sent me a wiring guide to install the Plasma rods. I had my audio / lighting guy do the plasma rods. He made brackets for the rods to attach to instead of using the 3M tape directly to the filler strip. It set the rods back further - just looks cleaner. But they are run / Brake / Turn - he had to use 2 of the dual converters and wire them into the harness at the fender tip light. It was more complicated than I wanted to tackle. He soldered and heat shrinked the connections.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I believe I have the same instructions that I downloaded from their web site. Funny thing is while I'm on the phone with their tech support they told me it couldn't be done. Thank god it wasn't on my bike it was on a street glide. That kinda bothers a bit. What other parts dis you buy and how sis you run the wires on your bike ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally found the instructions on their site:

http://www.customdynamics.com/instructions/plama_rod_extra.pdf

Scroll all the way down to the bottom for the Road Glide instructions.

You will need the Plasma Rods and (2) PDC's to complete the install:

http://www.customdynamics.com/plasma_rod_led_lights.htm#Plasma_Rod_Dual_Converter

As I said in my prior post, I did not do the plasma rod install - chickened out when I learned you need to splice into your wiring harness. I had the guy who did my stereo install do this for me. That said - Karen at Custom dynamics assured me it was very simple and they would walk me thru it if needed.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts