Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had all Custom Dynamic lighting on my previous ride (SGS) and was the brightest thing going in my group. The TB headlights were incredible and well worth the money. On my current ride (RGU), all lighting is again Custom Dynamics (TruBeam headlights, Dynamic Ringz for turn signals, etc).

I know the "adaptive" headlights are popular right now, but I wouldn't switch. Are there less expensive options? Yes. However, for me, being seen and having the brightest possible road in front of me at night is far more important than saving a few dollars.

Good luck with your research.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I don't have that particular light but I have several CD lights. They have great quality lights. I never needed to return anything but others have said they stand behind their products.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I don't have that particular light but I have several CD lights. They have great quality lights. I never needed to return anything but others have said they stand behind their products.
They not only stand behind their products, they are running to keep you riding...

I noticed the Tri-Bar light on my old bike had some dead LEDs, at 10:30 pm at night. I took a picture of them, went to their web site and sent in a service request, with the picture and a copy of my receipt.

By 7:00 am the next morning, when I fired up the computer, there was an email from them saying my replacement part had been ordered, and it would be there in two days.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I see a company called eagle eyes that makes daymakers for roadglide, they offer a lifetime warranty on there lights seem pretty good for 250.00 on Amazon, I think next month I will be getting a set to try out, don't have the funds for a Custom Dynamics Tru beam so these will have to do, my glide is a 2011 also, just some info.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
As far as I know, CD is the only company making aftermarket headlights for 15+. Adaptives made by JW Speaker aren't available for Rushmore bikes. "Don't hold your breath" is what I was told when I asked a rep about if they were going to make them. Hopefully that changes as more and more roadies are getting sold.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Wow that is suprising considering they sell just as many roadglide as street glides, don't know why some companies drag there tails on aftermarket accessories for them, I am going to give the eagle eyes a shot for 250 and the warranty.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't have one on my personal bike but I have installed a few of them at work. They are very bright, the added turn signals are nice and the whole thing bolts right on like the OEM light

Reactions: geo8866

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the TruBeam on my Ultra, along with the Custom Dynamics turn inserts and fender mounted 2000 lumen each Clearwater Darla lights. I really like the TruBeam. Bright and white. The TruBeam in combination with whatever else you can afford to put up front are just one more step you can take to make sure whoever's coming at you or waiting to make a turn is thinking "what the hell is that?". Just for your info since you've probably already been to the CD website, here's a link to Clearwater Lights if you want to look at fender lights too. https://www.clearwaterlights.com They're big with the Iron Butt types who ride all night. Some of their beefier models will no joke blind you in the day time if they're turned up too high. I run with my Darlas at about 50%. When I hit the brights at night they go to full bright along with the TruBeam.

If you're curious, I posted some pics on here in my Garage of the CD TruBeam, the CD inserts, and the Darlas in my garage with the door open during the day.

Hope you get it. You'll be glad you did. .

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I have the TruBeam on my Ultra, along with the Custom Dynamics turn inserts and fender mounted 2000 lumen each Clearwater Darla lights. I really like the TruBeam. Bright and white. The TruBeam in combination with whatever else you can afford to put up front are just one more step you can take to make sure whoever's coming at you or waiting to make a turn is thinking "what the hell is that?". Just for your info since you've probably already been to the CD website, here's a link to Clearwater Lights if you want to look at fender lights too. https://www.clearwaterlights.com They're big with the Iron Butt types who ride all night. Some of their beefier models will no joke blind you in the day time if they're turned up too high. I run with my Darlas at about 50%. When I hit the brights at night they go to full bright along with the TruBeam.

If you're curious, I posted some pics on here in my Garage of the CD TruBeam, the CD inserts, and the Darlas in my garage with the door open during the day.

+1 On the Clearwater Darlas! Have them on my bike and they make a huge difference day or night or bad weather.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I need the Darlas, hoping to find a discount on 'em over the Winter.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I will be buying the True Beam Headlight after the Holidays waiting it out in case CD runs a sale on them before that...

·
Registered
215 Posts

@Ride4ever I'm really digging these Darlas after reading about them here and on their website. I would like to know where you mount the switch at for you Darla install?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
@aviscomi - FWIW, I have the Darla dimmer switch mounted on the side of my Iron Aces mount. Easy reach and out of way of anything that the Iron Aces holder may be holding for me (easy pass, phone, etc)

·
Registered
141 Posts
@Ride4ever I'm really digging these Darlas after reading about them here and on their website. I would like to know where you mount the switch at for you Darla install?
Mounted on inside of fairing on the left side toward the bottom. Hope you can see it in the photo. Wasn't important to me to have ready access to it while riding. I never touch it. There's really no reason to have ready access to it. I have it set somewhere around halfway between off and 85% which is the max using the rheostat. They don't go to 100% until you hit your brights. When you hit your brights, the Darlas automatically go to full on along with the TruBeam. At 50%, in my opinion, they're so bright, there's no reason to run them at full bright all the time.

Just as an FYI, I ordered some Darla slip-covers from Clearwater and just got them today. $40.00. They come with the Selective Yellow and the clear lenses with one set of slip-ons. Both colors are interchangeable in the slip covers and serve the additional purpose of protecting the Darlas from rock damage, thereby protecting the investment. The slip-ons fit like a glove over the existing Darlas. I read somewhere where the Selective Yellow lens triggers the attention of oncoming traffic better than the clear. Some kind of psychological light mojo I bought into. Also supposed to be more visible in inclement weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks @Ride$ever I going to order the Darlas now. I'll also get the covers for $30 if purchased with the lights.

Reactions: Ride4ever

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Wow that is suprising considering they sell just as many roadglide as street glides, don't know why some companies drag there tails on aftermarket accessories for them, I am going to give the eagle eyes a shot for 250 and the warranty.
Not really surprising. The older (non-Rushmore) bikes did not come with LED headlights originally. The Rushmore bikes have LED's, and they are quite bright. The issue with them is they are reflectors, while the Custom Dynamics appear to be Projectors. Projectors can point the light better than reflectors so they are able to fill in dark spots.

Before spending $800.00 on a set of headlights, one would have to ask how much night riding do you do? If there is a lot, the CD's make sense as they seem to light the highway better. But consider this, Headlights serve two functions. See, and be seen. During daylight hours, the stock lights serve very well at being seen, and lighting the highway better is of little, or no, use.

The CD units look very much like the non-Rushmore Daymakers that HD produced. They also cost the same as the non-Rushmore HD Daymakers. As such, probably well worth it if just for the better warranty, if you ride a lot at night.

As for me, those lights cost about the same as a Fairing XChange upgrade to a painted inner fairing, and I do not ride that much at night.:wink:

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I agree , that's why I will probably do the eagle eyes lights, they have a great lifetime warranty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts